Sunday, May 20, 2012

Recipe for Grandmother's Buttermilk Pie


There's a story passed down in our family that Granddaddy Magers never drank anything stronger than buttermilk. And, that his favorite dessert was buttermilk and cornbread. Even though they lived inside Dell city limits, they had a barn out back for the milk cow, Mom's horse, and the chickens, not to mention numerous barn cats. Until the 1950s, Grandmother milked that cow everyday and made butter when it was needed. Of course, the liquid coming off the butter was saved for Granddaddy. Grandmother kept a special pitcher she poured the thick, rich liquid into--always the same pitcher. Once it was filled, she used the remaining buttermilk in her daily cooking.


One recipe handed down to me was her Buttermilk Pie--

Buttermilk Pie
or Buttermilk Coconut Pie
by Alice Ruddle Magers, ca. 1930

Melt 1 T. Butter. Add 1 cup Sugar and blend well. Whisk in 3 Eggs. Then whisk in 4 T. Flour. Add 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice and 2 cups Buttermilk. Pour into an Uncooked Pie Crust and bake at 375 degrees until set and edges begin to brown.

To make a Buttermilk Coconut Pie, add 1/2 cup coconut before pouring into the uncooked pie crust.


Absolutely delicious. . .
 
Be sure to put this recipe together the way it's written, or your pie won't as be as light as it should be. Believe me. . . I learned the hard way. . .

Grandmother's pie was featured at: Hickery Holler Farm

8 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh I want to try this! My mom use to make a soda cracker pie that was delicious. Sounds like grandma and pops were fun peoole.
Hugs,
Jann

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

DELICIOUS!!! I am your newest follower. I hope you will peek into my world of blog and follow if you like.
I LOVE this recipe and it brings LOTS of memories to me too. MY Mom's family were farmers. I LOVED watching my grandmother threw ingredients together out of her head AND it was always SO DELICIOUS! I sure wish I had her molasses cookie recipe...
I am printing out your recipe, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Have a wonderful week,
Hugs,
Donna

andrea@townandprairie said...

I used to always bake with my grandma, and now I have her bake ware and always use it. That pitcher is beautiful with the dark backdrop. I'm a dairy lover, too!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Just wanted to hop back and say thanks for linking up to Share your Cut. Wish I had a slice of this yummy pie right now. lol!
Hugs,
Jann

Nicole said...

Hi there Farmer's Daughter- that sounds delicious! I think Ill try making it with cocunut- we love coconut! And I love your blog, very cute, I love the top photo of this post- just beautiful! Found you through mrs Olson's- blessings!

Sam I Am...... said...

Hi there! I came over from Jann's and I am a new follower PLUS I live in Arkansas....North Central. I'm like you...I LOVE anything and everything old! Thanks for sharing your heritage and your recipe! I'll be making that for sure!

Rachel S said...

My dad loves buttermilk pie. This looks like a great recipe to try. Thanks.

Luster Canyon said...

Found you through Hickery Holler...this sounds yummy and not to hard to make, going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...