Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Crocks-Wood-Hearts




I was recently asked how I pulled the country farmhouse look together in the kitchen. . . .
What were the things I returned to over and over again?
I had to  think about it.
Some things are such a constant at the farmhouse that it's a surprise when others ask. . . .
I forget not everyone lives this way. . . .(grin). . . .

I sat down at the kitchen table and looked around. . . .
what WERE the elements I cherished the most in farmhouse décor?
 
I decided that flour, milk, sugar weren't the only staples in my kitchen.
WOOD and CROCKERY are used over and over again,
in one form or the other.
Everything else is accessories. . . .
one of my favorites being prim hearts. . .
reminding me of the love and care that goes into homemaking. . . .
love and care I grew up with and strive to achieve in our own home.
 
 
I also began to see a pattern developing in the choices of Crocks--Wood--Hearts:
NATURAL--FUNCTIONAL--LOVELY PATINAS--PLEASING TO THE EYE
 
 
 
 
 
 
Crocks are rarely used for their original purpose, though. . . .as many of you know. . .
This one is filled with napkins. . . .
 
 
These are filled with packages of quinoa, noodles, and other cooking needs. . . .
 
I suppose you noticed I don't always use bread boards for cutting either?
Especially the vintage ones. . . .They are too special. . . .
I lucked out with this beauty to serve as a crock lid.
 
 
 
 
Yep. . . .I'd have to say, CROCKS--WOOD--HEARTS
are my main Go-To Three. . . .
They are the  Plain and Simple Farmhouse Style kitchen staples.
 
Every true farmhouse has them. . . .and I think
Every true farmgirl loves them.. . . .Don't you?
 
Maybe you don't have as many as I have. . . .
Afterall, I've been collecting and using crocks, wood, and hearts for 30+ years. . . .
but, I bet you have plenty stashed away somewhere.
No?
 Then visit those thrift stores and flea markets!
Crocks can be pricey, but every now and then I come across a good buy. . . .
Wood items are always plentiful. . . .
I bought all the bread boards you see in this post at thrift stores for pennies.
Add a few to your kitchen and you have. . . .
Instant 'Farmhouse.'


I have more decorating staples coming you way, but first. . . .

I would like to give you a quick update on a couple of things I feel I should share with you. . . .
 
I found the 'gifters'. . . .and did they get a chuckle out of it! . . .They only confessed last week. . . .Turns out it's a family piece--from my oldest cousin and his wife. . . .which makes it all the more precious to me. . . .They live two hours or so away but were in our area that day and decided to leave the ironstone at the door since we weren't home. . . . Then they sat back and enjoyed seeing me try to find the donor. . . .It IS funny. . . .yet, I'm sure glad I now know the answer to the mystery!
 
I've been posting few and far between lately, I know. . . .It's been a long and busy winter. . . .We're re-thinking and re-vamping our farm for special programs and tours. . . .taxes. . . .bookwork. . . .making contacts. . . .I've been plagued with health problems besides the 'normal' fibromyalgia aches and pains. . . .First vertigo again, then the flu and a cough that has lasted two months. . . .Then last week John had to rush me to my doctor 45 miles away. . . .Evidently during my recent vacation in the hills, I came in contact with staph that began spreading quickly. . . .A long story. . . .The short report is that I was able to stay out of the hospital but was on 24 hour watch by John (and Boo). . . .John--bless his heart--had to be sure I took the super strength antibiotics every six hours (I was pretty out of it). . . .He had to place hot compresses on the affected areas, change dressings and kept in touch with the doctor. . . .What a wonderful nurse he turned out to be! . . .The initial outbreak was on my face. . . .I'm still 'whop-sided'  with swelling and a couple of 'bad' places but am doing better and I think on the mend. . . .still tender. . . .weak. . . .The medication takes a toll on me. . . .but I can handle it. . . .I just feel so thankful that it didn't get any worse than it did. . . .thanks to John who got me to the doctor on time.
 
I'm not one to share my aches and pains normally but I've missed so many of your posts and emails that I thought I should let you know what was going on with me. . . .I treasure each and every one of you and that you're always there for me with comments and support. . . .I am truly blessed with blogging friends.
 
Don't worry! I'll be fine now. . . .taking it easy and mending. . . .The crisis is over. . . .Just wanted to let you know what was going on here. . . .As usual, there's nothing normal about our life at the farm. . . .or maybe it is the norm now that I think about it?
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 


14 comments:

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

and you do crocks, wood and hearts so well!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

What a great collection. I'm glad you also put them to use. Funny story about your ironstone, a family treasure afterall. How cool is that! Sounds like you've had a bad winter and not just with the weather. Hopefully with Spring finally making it's appearance you'll start feeling like your old self. Have a delightful day!

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm so sorry that you have been ill this past while but glad you are on the mend now. That must have been scary! I love old crocks and have several around here but they are more on display than used for anything. The one that I do use is a 2 gallon one and I keep the newspapers in it in the dining room (I read the paper on the dining table). I like that you use yours for food storage, and even napkins, every day. They certainly suit your farmhouse style. Take care of yourself. Blessings. Pam

Debby Ray said...

So glad you are feeling better! I love your wonderful collection. I have a few really old crocks that I love...and use. I would just love to know the history behind them and the people who who used them!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Sorry to hear you have been sick! I hope and pray you gain good health and strength back soon.

Thanks for sharing your farmhouse "essentials"!

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear about your close call" and it was as infections nowadays can get out of control easily. Whew! So gald you're healing. I'm glad I'm not the only one with busy and, might I say expensive, Spring time activities; Taxes, lawnmower, gardening and all sorts of upkeep and maintenance chores.
Yes, crocks and wood for sure...I don't have too many hearts around in my kitchen but I do in my quilts. You gave me some ideas too about using them! Thank you. Heal up and get your rest so you can enjoy this Springtime. TTYL!

Debra said...

Oh I hope you are back to your self soon! I will keep you in my prayers! I just love the crocks as well and now I have a new addiction....the wooden bowls....Oh man! LOL Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day. :-)

Old Time Cindy said...

I can't believe you are able to do a blog post with that terrible staph infection! You amaze me. I also have hearts and crocks for the farm look, but no bread boards (yet). Get better!

Carla said...

Love your home. Hope you get better soon!

cynthia lee designs said...

So sorry to hear that you were sick, but glad to hear that you are feeling better. I have several crocks in my kitchen...and several hearts thru out my home. Just love them!!
hugs,
Cindy

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

I'm new to your blog, but I want to say how sorry I am that you have been ill. Sheesh, the bacterias that we have today are so aggressive and move swiftly. It's good that you got help promptly.

I love the crocks that you have. I'll have to start checking thrift stores in my area and see if I can pick up a couple of them for my kitchen.

Pam said...

I am so sorry to hear you have been ill but happy you are on the mend. It must have been scary for you.
I love all of your beautiful crocks and wooden bread boards. So happy to hear that you solved the ironstone mystery and that it was a family piece.
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I love crocks and you have a wonderful collection! I have two old ones - one belonged to my grandmother and one from my husband's mother. I cherish them both for their looks and for their family ties. Thanks for sharing your pieces - love the frame with the heart! Hugs, Leena

Florida Farm Girl said...

Glad to hear you're recuperating. Staph is nasty stuff. Hang in there and hope you'll be well soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...