Thursday, September 11, 2014

Ivory-Crepe Myrtle-Sailboats

Catchy title, huh?. .I'm sure you're thinking, "What in this world is she up to now?"
Well. . .Read on. . .


I'm probably behind everyone else with this discovery for our farmhouse bath. . .Have YOU seen Ivory in it's SPECIAL COMMEMORATIVE WRAPPER? I hadn't when I ran across the bars for sale at Dollar General a month or so ago. . . I only bought one at the time, thinking I'd add it to the bath "somehow". . .Once I brought it home and saw how it added so much to the room, I went back to buy more. . .and was so disappointed. . .They were all sold out. . .Bummer. . .I began stopping at every Dollar General with no luck. . .Then I found them! . . .at Dollar Tree of all places. . .They only had three. . .bought them all, of course. . .



My goodness. . .the fragrance of Ivory soap will forever remind me of my Grandmother's home. . .what a lovely memory. . .But, this isn’t just your grandmother’s soap. This is your great-great-grandmother’s soap! It's been around for 135 years. . ."Just a little more than 100 years after our country declared independence - Ivory first floated. The first cake of Ivory was sold in October, 1879. . ."  It's definitely been around for a while.

The SPECIAL COMMEMORATIVE  WRAPPER covers a large size CAKE OF IVORY SOAP . . .and reminds us that "it floats" . . .How well I know! . .It's not only the fragrance that reminds me of Grandmother's bath, it's the sailboats we made together with Ivory soap bars. . .Now, that's a memory. . .


Toothpicks and paper were all we needed. . .We'd make a whole fleet of sailboats. . .I could spend hours--if she'd let me--in the tub. . .I guess you could say I'd be squeaky clean, huh?

We've been so busy with the farmstead that I've barely taken any time for myself the last couple of months. . .As I finished the laundry this week, I glanced over at the Ivory--suddenly having a desire to make at least one sailboat for a long soak in the tub. . .

I headed to the kitchen for supplies. . .and noticed right outside the window that the Crepe Myrtle was fast fading. . .I realized I had not brought a bouquet indoors all summer long. . .It's been beautiful this year. . .but now the blooms are fading. . .a sure sign that fall is on it's way. . .I ran out and cut a few to enjoy. . .

Actually, I sort of like the look. . .much more suited for fall, I think. . .


Before I knew it, our vintage bath was looking as if it was straight out of a magazine. . .So SIMPLY done. . .I have to give the Commemorative Ivory Soap Wrapper the credit.  . .Who would have guessed that a $1 bar of soap would bring inspiration for our Plain and Simple Farmhouse Style. . .and such wonderful memories. . .So many times it's the little things that impact us the most. . .isn't it?


My long soak in the tub with Ivory-Crepe Myrtle-and Sailboats was "heavenly". . .
I highly recommend it to you. . .or to your kids.
Hey. . .why not share a fleet of sailboats with them. . .and create a memory?
There's nothing more simple.
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 
 
 


10 comments:

Egretta Wells blog said...

I'm heading out to the Dollar stores to find some of that Ivory soap. Did you know that if you keep an unwrapped bar under your sheet at the foot of your bed, it cures restless leg syndrome. It did mine, even if it sounds like an old wives tale!! But I want the old looking wrappers, too, for the bath! Hope I can find them!

Blondie's Journal said...

I love the wrapper! My bath is done in a soft blue, these would look so pretty stacked up.

We used Dove soap...still do! Funny how some things never change!

Jane xx

Pamela Gordon said...

I love these replicas of the Ivory soap. What a wonderful idea and find for you. I never made a boat from our Ivory soap but I do remember using it as a child. :) Thanks for sharing.

cynthia lee designs said...

I have not seen any of these bars at our Dollar Tree or at Dollar General. Makes me think that they sold quickly.
~Cindy

Heide at ApronHistory said...

No, I haven't seen those! Love them! I think I will have to go look for a few bars also. I do remember reading the history of Ivory before. Amazing that such a simple item started a corporate empire.
Love your bathroom! The ivory looks perfect in it.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I don't know if these are available in Canada but I'm sure going to look for them. Love the sailboats!

Pam said...

Oh my goodness I love the commemorative wrapper!! Now I have to go on a hunt for some! I remember making the sailboats. Love your beautiful photos.
Hugs,
pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the graphics on the soap wrapper and now I wish I had blue accents in my bathroom! Your bathroom is so gorgeous and you even made a sweet little boat for us to see! Thanks for sharing your story and photos with us.

Vickie

Sam I Am...... said...

I'm sure I'm too late to get any but I'll keep my eye out! Lovely Fall decor!

The Believing Woman said...

I love this post. Your bathroom is absolutely beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...