Friday, March 9, 2018

Cotton is King Again--In Decor


How many years has Cotton been the mainstay of my own Farmhouse decor?. . I've been sharing it with you for so long that I had forgotten when I first started. . . I went back to numerous posts, only to find out that it's been a part of The Country Farm Home blog every since it started in 2011. . .Even then it wasn't new to me. . .For those of you who haven't caught on, we own a Cotton farm in the Delta of Northeast Arkansas. . .It's been the family livelihood since 1919 when my grandparents arrived here in a covered wagon from Missouri. . .Cotton was King then and often called the 'White Gold'. . .I learned quite early while decorating my first apartment on a shoestring how interesting incorporating Cotton stalks could be. . .I'm proud of my heritage. . .and our legacy to Cotton farming. . .Whether popular in the decorating circles or not, I always had a few stalks around. . .


Nowadays, to my surprise, I'm seeing Cotton--mostly imitation--everywhere. . .The new Prairie Farmhouse Style has brought much interest to Cotton. . .and seems to have crowned it King once more. . .


I was astonished recently when shopping at Hobby Lobby. . .There was Cotton everywhere. . .Not the Cotton I pick from the fields. . .Some of theirs were metal. . .others were wooden stalks with sanitized Cotton balls added to the burr. . .There were paintings and prints of Cotton fields. . .and metal signs spelling out C-O-T-T-ON. . .It was amazing. . .To all those who passed over my decorating ideas with those white balls of fluff. . .I have to say.  . . 'I told you so. . .' (grin)


Trends come and go . . .and this one will run its course, I'm sure. . .I'll be in style with my Cotton for a time and then it will be gone. . .Even so, I've never been one to follow trends too much. . .I can guarantee you that in our Farmhouse, Cotton will always be King. . .I'm too old and set in my ways for it to be otherwise. . .




 
An apology to all that I cannot mail you authentic Cotton from our fields. . .The Boll Weevil Eradication Board frowns on it. . .But. . .if you happen to be in the area when fall arrives, stop by and we'll see what we can do. . .



5 comments:

Heirloom treasures said...

My goodness I found your blog post wonderful, How wonderful to live with such interesting surroundings. Fascinating
Jeanette ann

mary scott said...

We lived in Memphis in the 50's. I was little, but I have never forgotten the aroma of the cotton gins downtown when we drove down there to the Peabody Hotel to see their ducks. Your photos are beautiful!

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

I was given an arrangement after my father passed away & there was cotton in It! Beautiful! I'd never seen it before. It's quite unusual here , but I love it! Thanks for sharing all your lovely settings using it 😊 Hugs Marg

Winnie said...

I so enjoyed your new article in Country Rustic Magazine about the origins of your Homestead and cotton. Such a beautiful and lovely story of your family's new adventure in 1919! Here in north central Florida, we also grow cotton. Two years ago, there were harvested fields near my daughter's home and I was able to pick up the scraps along the edges. There is nothing like real and beautiful cotton!! I have used mine for several wreaths and other decorations but it is getting fragile and I need some new replacements. Hopefully this Summer will bring another crop in the area and I can gather up the still great scraps after harvest. Your displays of cotton in the old buckets look beautiful!

Unknown said...

You are so lucky to have access to cotton like this. I grew up on a large farm, as a little girl, cotton meant nothing to me, but hard work for my father and brothers. Now as an adult, and are able to see its beauty and it usages, I wish I still had it. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post and lovely pictures shown all the decorative use of cotton.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...