Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shabby Linens Table Runner


Take stacks of vintage linens, a piece of fusible web, and an hour of time and what do you get?
A shabby linens table runner!








This one is a "no brainer". . . .The hardest part is deciding which linens to use. . . .I chose those with age spots, a little fraying, some faded embroidery, and  well worn--nothing perfect. . . .Remember, this is a "shabby" runner.


To Make a Shabby Linens Table Runner:
Lay linens on the table into the desired arrangement. 
Pin in place. . . .or Use a Glue Stick to temporarily hold the linens in place.  .
You can iron the linens with a little spray starch or sizing before
or during the joining of pieces together.


 Begin at one end of the runner.
I used a tabletop ironing board to press the linens together,
moving the runner along as I attached each piece
so that the order of the linens was maintained.
I used fusible web--sold by the yard--to attach linens to each other.
Iron-on hem tape could also be used.
Cut the fusible web in strips approximately 1/2" too 3/4"
and place between the two linens along the overlapped edge.
Press the "sandwich" together with a hot iron.
Join small sections at a time.
Continue to the other end.


And, there you have it!
It's shabby and simple and in farmhouse style. . .


I was surprised how much I love this shabby runner. . . .
how well it works with table settings. . . .
The bits of embroidery add just enough color. . . .


My next runner may be in off-whites only--for a more neutral background. . . .It will be a while before I start another one, though. . . .I have another project I'm working on right now, utilizing more linens. . . .It's taking more than an hour to make. . . .but not too complicated. . . .Love working with linens so it doesn't feel at all like work. . . .
Can't wait to show you. . . .One day soon!


 I'm off to my sewing machine. . . .for a day of sewing bliss. 

. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .


Sharing this post with: * Make It Pretty Monday * Mop It Up Monday

26 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely runner and great collection of linens. Your white dishes really make a pretty vignette too. Happy Weekend!

Debra@CommonGround said...

oh, I love this, what a perfect idea to use all the ones that have been "loved"!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Beautiful, Dru! I like the fact that you ironed it with fusing together. It just looks like they are laying there!! What a pretty way to use old damaged linens :)
Blessings,
Susie

Old Time Cindy said...

I like this on your table. I have old linens that I hope to work with. Some day.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Blondie's Journal said...

This is so pretty! It looks just lovely on your table. I like that you used the webbing because I don't sew. And thanks so much for the instructions. Have a great day!

XO,
Jane

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a great idea and so pretty. It's a great way to use some of one's damaged linens or thrift finds. Yours looks so pretty on your beautiful long table.

Rita said...

OMG you have such a collection of beautiful linens. love your table runner. it's got so much character.
rita

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love the shabby runner Dru. I have lots of linens too.

Diane said...

This is so charming. I love all the various linens together. Your long farmhouse style table reminds me of the one that was at my grandparent's home. I'm always looking for ideas to recapture the look that their country farm had. Your table setting is so vintage farmhouse and lovely!

Robyn said...

How beautiful this came out... I love that its not all uniform...Simply elegant!
Robyn

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

This is a great idea for using all those embroidered linens packed away in drawers!

Dawn said...

Dru, Its perfect:) Love them all lined up with different hem lines. Very farmhouse:)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I love it, I absolutely love it! I have been wanting to make one of these...but haven't...maybe now I will get going on it!

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh Dru...I love it!! Very farmhouse for sure!! I have old linens...hmmmm...I can see one of these table runners in my future.
hugs,
Cindy

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Your table runners looks wonderful! I love the mix of linen embroidery and crochet. It turned out so well! Love it.
Karen

Pam said...

This is so beautiful and such a great way to re-purpose vintage linens that have holes and tears.
Thank you for sharing!
Hugs
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh that is so pretty!
everything about it is so wonderful, the linen, the lace, and the crochet edges... looks great on your table with all the white dishes!
Pat

The Boston Lady said...

What a great idea! I'm sometimes at a loss as to how to use all the extras that seem to collect in drawers. This is a perfect solution and project I will try. Ann

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

This is so very pretty. I love how you brought all the different lines together to form one sweet piece. Beautiful.
Blessings,
Nici

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Very pretty and a great way to put all those pretty pieces to great use!
Blessings,
Cindy

chateau chic said...

Another great idea! How fun is this and I love how easy it is to make.
Mary Alice

Amy Kinser said...

I love it!

So funny because I was thinking on Saturday about some of my nanny's beautiful old hankies that she had used for years. Some were filled with flowers, some plain white, some with sweet little lace details, all were beautiful. I decided to pull them out and make me a runner. I actually made two. And, I actually sewed them. I have a sewing machine but I really don't sew. A straight stitch is all I can do. I am thrilled with how they turned out. Simple, beautiful and a way to honor my nanny. I will share some pictures of mine later.

Blessings to you, Amy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh I just knew it would be so darn cute! You did not disappoint sweetie. So am I to understand that you didn't sew them together? That you just used fusible web. No brainer, you say and still I have questions. lol! So, so much fun!
hugs,
Jann

Crafts a la Mode said...

I love these linens!! I must try this myself since I have some of these kinds of linens myself. Would love to have you link this loveliness to What to do Weekends. Linda

http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/what-to-do-weekends-7.html

Pam said...

Love your entire farmhouse style table settings and your table runner goes perfect! Inspired to do one as soon as I can do a little rummaging around my house! xo Pam

Unknown said...

Your table linen style is amazing. It looks very beautiful on your table and I am quite impressed with your idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...