Monday, September 3, 2012

Making Pumpkin Butter, Part II

It's time to make Pumpkin Butter. . .
Fall is on it's way, and there's nothing better than fresh Pumpkin Butter
on hot biscuits, toast, or on John's favorite--a peanut butter sandwich. . . .


To prepare the Pumpkin pulp, check out: 

The night before you cook and process the Pumpkin Butter,
combine the following in a large enameled or stainless steel pot

13 cups Pumpkin pulp/puree
2 lbs brown sugar
1/2-3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
Juice of 2-3 lemons
Mix well. Cover. Let sit overnight in a cool place.
(Recipe can be doubled.) 


The next day, bring the Pumpkin mixture to a boil, 
stirring constantly with a wooden or stainless steel spoon to prevent sticking.
Boil gently until the Pumpkin is clear and soft,
and the mixture is thick.


Pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot.
Process in a water bath for 20 minutes.
  (The USDA does not recommend canning.
Please see note below.)


This recipe also freezes well. Fill plastic containers, 
once the butter has cooled, and freeze for up to a year.

 Hope you enjoy our seasonal favorite!!!!
There's nothing like the aroma of Pumpkin Butter,
cooking on the stove top. . . .

Please note: It has come to my attention that the USDA does not recommend canning Pumpkin Butter in jars--They say freezing is better. Here's the link:
 http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/Pumpkin.php?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/pumpkin_butter.html 
We have eaten canned Pumpkin Butter for 50 years and have never had a problem. But, please, check out the link and please be AWARE of the recommendations. THEN YOU DECIDE.

I have frozen this recipe several times when I didn't have the time to can. 
We can't tell the difference, so if you want to be safe, I'd say freeze your Pumpkin Butter.

18 comments:

Anne said...

Yum! Sounds wonderful.I don't know how the pumpkins will be around here this year with little rain.
xx
Anne

Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

I'm visiting from Prairie Homestead...I was just asking this weekend how I would put up Pumpkin butter. I've made apple and pear butter, but wanted to give Pumpkin a try. I wasn't quite sure if it would be a hot water bath or pressure cooked. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I look forward to giving this a try this year and seeing how it turns out ☺

Anonymous said...

Hi! I adore your pumpkin photos!

How many pints (or quarts) did you get out of this batch of butter? I'm never able to do the math in my head and I either end up with way too many freezer jars, or I sterilize too many jars for my batch size.

(I found you via the homestead barn hop)

Rebecca said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to giving it a try this fall.

Anonymous said...

Well duh on me!!! I make apple butter all the time, but LOVE pumpkin more. Why I never made pumpkin butter is a mystery. Thanks for the recipe and once I make it, I will let you know how mine turned out.

Getting ready to start on my first rug from your loom. I am so excited. I hope to knock off at least 4 Christmas gifts with this.

blessings, jill

Old Time Cindy said...

Hmmm...I can almost smell it. Looks like a doable process from beginning to end. I've never made pumpkin butter before...wouldn't it make a wonderful gift!

Jana said...

Beautiful photos. Have a nice day
Jana

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Yum! There is nothing like the smell of pumpkin or apple butter to harold fall!
I haven't made pumpkin butter in a few years, might have to make it this year!

Tanya Breese said...

that sounds super good...i bet the smell was just amazing!

Katrina said...

It looks wonderful! Please note that the USDA does not recommend canning for pumpkin butter, or any pumpkin product because it's not safe. Freezing is safer in this case.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Yum! I have never made pumpkin butter. But I have eaten it, and it's tasty!

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin butter sounds fantastic! We have pumpkins growing in our garden right now.... I will keep this in mind! YUM!

EMily said...

Oh my goodness that sounds delicious!

Nancy said...

Well, sometimes the USDA gets a little carried away with it's rules. This looks wonderful.

Heirloom treasures said...

Sounds simple enough. I love preserving when it's cold outside too.It's such a homely, rewarding pastime. I am looking forward to trying this one. Thank you for sharing. :)

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Dru, Thank you so much for this recipe. At the least I am going to keep it filed for the future. And hopefully I will find the time to make it for our family very soon!
Blessings to you!
Susie

Pam said...

Yummy! I love pumpkin butter and I have 4 pumpkins to process. Thank you for your recipe!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

UrbanFrog said...

Hiya all the way from New Zealand. I do loads of preserving every year, and am really looking forward to adding Pumpkin Butter to my repertoire :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...