Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Our Shabby, Bird Condo--A Tutorial


For Rent--
One room, with bed, in three story condo complex. A little shabby in places, but big and roomy. Will make a nice, warm place for those cold winter nights. Straw is  provided. No pets or cats allowed...Call 870-birdhse











Okay. . . .We're having a little fun here at the farm this week. . . .
It can't be all work and no play, right?

I've had this shabby bird condo in mind for over three years now, but it seems there's been other things higher on the list. . . .And, I had to convince the inside-the-box guy that two large ammo cases would work for a birdhouse. . . .

As many of you know, I've been on a quest this summer to clean out and organize storage buildings and barns, as well as the house. When I found these ammo cases stored in the farm shop this week, I thought, "What better way to clean out than to finish a project that's been put off for years?"

So, I did ask the inside-the-box guy (John) for his help. . . I knew this was one project I could not do alone. . . .He graciously accepted the challenge, although he still didn't see how it would work. . . .

For Do-It-Yourselfers, here's what we did:

Believe it or not, I bought the ammo cases for $5.50 each--about 3 years ago. . . .
For this project, we used two. . . .

 The two were laid together on saw horses, with the doors opening on the sides. . . .
And were nailed together on the inside. . . .
A piece of scrap wood was centered and attached
on the outside for the porch. . . .

We found this baby bed in the trash a few years ago. . . .
perfect for the porch supports. . . .
and helps with the clean out, too. . . .

It's not a bird condo without holes. . . .

Wood from a palette was used for the porch roof. . . .
It was supported with more scrap wood. . . .

We used the cut off ends from the porch spindles for the two top condo perches. . . .
Driftwood, collected at the Mississippi River, was attached for the lower perches. . . .

A triangle cut from barn wood formed the roof line. . . .front and back. . . .
Trim was added from the baby bed headboard. . . .

More palette wood was used for the condo roof. . . .

If your bird condo is to function as a birdhouse, 
shelves should be inserted and nailed for the individual "rooms". . . .
I wanted outdoor storage, so we didn't add shelves to this one. . . . 

To bring it all together, I whitewashed the entire condo with latex paint and water, but leaving the porch floor, the porch roof, and the condo roof their weathered gray. . .It was at this point that John admitted, "Hey, that looks good!"
He agreed we should place the finished bird condo on our porch. . . .
for "rent". . . .
and for fall decorating. . . .

Total cost: $11, plus a few nails. . . .


30 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

You may look on it as storage, but I bet the wrens will look at it as home come next spring!!! It is gorgeous.

camp and cottage living said...

I love it!! I never would have thought of making a birdhouse out of ammo boxes.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

That is so sweet. You can make something out of anything if you use a little imagination. So cute..Happy Wednesday..Judy

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love it!! Would never have guessed that it was made from ammo boxes.
Cindy

Violetas Rendadas said...

Maravilhosa sugestão, ficou muito linda, Amo os pássaros e qualquer coisa relacionada à eles. Maravilhosa sua postagem, parabéns

Chenille Cottage said...

You are amazing! Just look at those new birdie diggs!
I love this!
Smiles,
Carolynn xo

EllenaElizabeth said...

Very clever upcycling and a so lovely to work with your hubby. Those are the best kinds of projects.

Old Time Cindy said...

Amazing! You sure are creative. It's so pickin' cool!

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Absolutely fantastic!

Unknown said...

Such a cute creation!

Brenda Pruitt said...

You are brilliant for thinking this up! I wouldn't have been able to see what you saw.
Brenda

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

I love it!!! Hugs, Penny

Amy Kinser said...

How great is this creation!!! I love it and all the things you pulled together to create it. Wonderfully cute!

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

This is so charming--I have parts of an old baby crib just sitting in my garage--this has given me some ideas for how to use them, so thank you. I love the little birds that you included at the "house"--a fun look!

Barbara F. said...

This is the cutest. Love it. I may have two tenants for you ;-) xo

Honey at 2805 said...

Your bird condo is adorable! Thank you for sharing this unique project at Potpourri Friday!

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

I absolutely LOVE this!! Fabulous job and hee hee on the 'no cats' bit! :)

Artsy VaVa said...

I love the bird condo! Thanks for the instructions!!! Pinning.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What an adorable bird condo! You did a great job with this :)

Unknown said...

What a bird condo, awesome.
The condo will look so good decorated for each upcoming holiday I am sure.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Michele

Tammy said...

What a great idea and tutorial! I love how you re purposed so many things to make the condo! Great idea to use it for storage and decor :) Thank you for link this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend.

must love junk said...

That's the cutest thing EVER!! I'm your newest follower and I'd love you to visit me and say hi :)
Susan

Junkchiccottage said...

OMG!!!!! Love this condo. Lucky birds in your backyard!!! So creative. Thanks for sharing.
Kris
junkchiccottage.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Wow, that is amazing! So darn cute!!!!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a creative bird condo! Love it!! Thanks for sharing this inspiring tutorial on making such an original bird house on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a fun week!

Jody

Debra@CommonGround said...

ohmygosh, this is beyond wonderful. I love anything "birdie"!! thanks for the great tutorial. I'll be featuring this post tomorrow on Vintage Inspiration!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Congrats! Just wanted to let you know you were featured on Simple & Sweet Fridays with this Shabby Bird Condo. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial on how to make it, so cute! Grab a button if you'd like and have a wonderful weekend!

Jody

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

How wonderful!!! Any bird would be lucky to own a condo here!!!
♥Linsey

Bon said...

I was shocked to see an ammo case just like that for sale in Iowa for $250.00! There is one in my garden shed/kitty cabin just like it. But I like your idea so much I think I will try to make a skinnier one box condo! Great job!

Katherines Corner said...

what a wonderful birdhouse. I love it! Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...