Thursday, October 23, 2014

Still Making Those Shabby Chic Aprons!

It was two years ago that I made my first Shabby Chic Apron from discarded blue jeans.
The apron was a hit then. . .and remains so to this day. . .
I've lost count of how many I've made and sold. . .and given away as gifts. . .
The inspiration I had with that first one seems to be timeless. . .
 
 
If you missed the 'how-to' tutorial before, here's a link: Shabby Chic Denim Apron
 
While I was putting together the latest one, I documented a few more tips for you:
1. Choose your laces carefully, graduating from the widest at the bottom, becoming more narrow at the top. . .A different color tucked into the mix adds interest. . .The faded moss green layer is actually a vintage curtain. . .Remember when heavy lace curtains were popular?
2. There's no need to finish the bottom of the cut jeans. . .You may if you like but it can add bulk if the edge is turned under. . .A serged edge is best. . .I often hand tack the lace on first in order to make sure the gathers come out just right. . .Then sew with a machine.
3. A little more tacking--with the lace edges unfinished on the top. . .Sew flat onto the denim with a straight stitch . . .Then zig-zag the edges down if you like. . .Sometimes I do. . .Sometimes I don't. . .
4. A better shot of how I graduated the width of the laces. . .Cover the last raw edge with a flat lace. . .Now it's time to embellish. . .
5. Buttons and lace on the pocket. . .Also notice the waistband becomes the ties. . .If you need longer ties, add more denim fabric on the ends. . .I let them fray. . .It's a shabby apron, afterall. . .
6. There's more interest if you embellish each side differently. . .Makes the apron go from blah to WOW!
 
And Here You Have It. . .
 

The latest creation is much like the first apron I shared with you. . .yet different, too. . .
Isn't it adorable? . .One day I'm gonna keep one for myself!
With Christmas coming soon. . .(Can you believe it?). .
.these Shabby Chic Aprons would make nice gifts. . .
You can stitch one up in no time. . .for very little expense.

This one is now on it's way to it's new owner. . .
and I'm on my way back to the sewing machine. . .
Just wanted to pop in and maybe inspire you a little while taking a break.

Our tours are winding down.
Maybe we can get back to the house renovation soon.
A new living room floor is next. . .Of course, I'll be sharing that with you, too.

Have a wonderful weekend, My Friends!




 


9 comments:

Heide at ApronHistory said...

To to Cute!

Debby Ray said...

I have seen these before on yours and others sites...they are just adorable! I have made what I call my "country girl apron"...darker demin trimmed in John Deer fabric and red hankie print. I have been looking for an apron pattern to make for for my DIL and grand-daughter (look-a-likes)...they will be moving in soon to their rustic country home in about a month. I think I may try to get these made for them for Christmas! I have tons of old lace doilies and tablecloths too! Thanks for re-posting your tutorial!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Yes you are! Super cute.

Junkchiccottage said...

Sooooooo cute Sarah. Love this.
Kris

Becky said...

This is perfect timing. I wanted to give my two little granddaughters aprons for Christmas. These would be perfect. The are 5 and 2. Baking is something we enjoy doing together. I have several pairs of old jeans I can use too. Thanks for all your inspiration.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Your aprons are so cute Dru! My cousin saw them and made one for me. So very cute!
hugs,
Jann

Jennifer said...

Absolutely wonderful! I'm going to have to try my hand at one of these!

Debra Howard said...

(In my southern Texas Drawl) "Oh now, those are darlin!"

Sam I Am...... said...

Those are precious and the epitome of repurposing! Just darling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...