Thursday, November 21, 2013

Giving Thanks in Shaker Style

 
One of the pluses of choosing a neutral pallett for the Kitchen and Keeping Room is the ability to make changes with the seasons. . . .Spring and Summer décor lends a feeling of  'light and bright'--bringing inside a few garden touches of  wicker pieces, potted plants, and lots of off-whites. . . . For Fall and Winter, I prefer more primitive pieces and accessories to accent our open hearth fireplace. . . .something I sometimes call my 'Farmhouse Shaker' style. . . . I'm not a strict stick-to-the-rules type of gal. . . .I like to add my own farmhouse touch to any setting. . . .You've probably guessed that by now, haven't you?
 
This is the time of the year that I seek warm and cozy.

The thing I do love about Shaker decor is the unbroken simplicity which is not difficult to reconstruct. . . .It's reflected in simple eloquence and simple furnishings. . .


The Shaker style approach to decorating is beauty in simplicity, with the use of natural materials and a clean, uncluttered look. . . .It's baskets, wood containers and bowls, crocks, hand-woven items, brooms and simple furniture--including ladder back chairs, of course. . . .Gather these items together and you have the makings of Shaker style. . . .

Let's start in the Keeping Room. . . .the center of activity for us, whether it's Summer or Winter. . . .


Over the years,  I was lucky to have found three woven treasures (coverlets) at reasonable prices. . . .and enjoy displaying them when the temperatures outside begin to drop. . . .Two came from Tennessee and one from Kentucky. . . .

 
Shaker style boxes are always a good choice. . . .They were the Tupperware of the 18th and 19th centuries but ever bit as functional today.

Natural fiber additions add a softness to the setting. . . .I finally finished the appliqued wool piece that I call 'My Shaker Tree' last week--started it in 2011 when John and I visited the Shaker Village in Kentucky. . . .just a little behind. . . .(2 years?!!)



While dark tones such as the coverlets and appliqued piece are traditional, the uncomplicated style of Shaker also draws on lighter natural color schemes. . .

I brought in honeysuckle vines from the nearby woods--as well as our 'huge' crop of five butternut squash--to display on top of the storage cabinets. . . .all neutrals. . . .fits right in with Farmhouse Style, too. . . .




Dried field corn and gourds are additional 'free' materials. . . .I like the natural texture of the gourds and have yet to sand them down. . . .Every time I start to do so, I back out. . . .There's such a charm to them as they are. . . .


From the herb garden, bundles of  basil, rosemary, and oregano. . . .

Have any idea what I hung them on?. . .A corn dryer!




Tools for the open hearth lend an air of simplicity and beauty, don't they? . . . .Sometimes the most utilitarian objects are decorating finds. . . .
 
 
 

The same beauty and balance is as appropriate today as in the past, particularly in the kitchen where each item is useful. . . .and at the same time, attractive to the eye. . . .


Wooden bowls, more herb bundles, woven cotton sacks, wooden cutting boards. . . .plain and simple but functional. . . .I left the crocks from the Summer Kitchen on the counter but added one more--to hold paper napkins for our snacks and meals. . . .The 'Farmgirl at Heart' pillow adds a touch of that Farmhouse Style to the mix. . . .and softens the hardness of the crocks. . . .
 








 
Shaker decorating style lies in seeing the art of simplicity and beauty in every object. . . .That's what makes it so charming. . . .It's what draws a person in--to think of hearth and home. . . .of warmth and family. . . .At least, it does for me. . . .The basic design principles will work just as well in modern homes, country styles homes or for an uncluttered look and style in a small apartment. . . .Obviously, it's one of my favorite ways to decorate. . . .especially during the Thanksgiving holidays. . . .when 'Farmhouse Shaker' cozy seems to wrap itself around a person like a blanket.
 


 
Now that I have the room ready for next week, I can start thinking about Christmas. . . .This year, I plan to go natural and very, very simple. . . .It's the look we most enjoy. . . .We're still busy at work each day, leaving little time for our usual show of holiday collections. . . .To be honest, there's another reason for my choice this year . . . For me, natural Christmas décor feels more like 'Home". . . . 
 
Plain and Simple. . . .
 
 
 
. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 
 
 
If you'd like to compare the Summer and Fall Kitchen/Keeping Room:
 
 
 ******************************
 
The last day to order this year will be December 16.
We'll be closed for two weeks, so that we can enjoy
the holidays with family and friends.
 
 
 

15 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your farmhouse kitchen Dru. You have made it so cozy with all your wonderful antique and vintage kitchen things. The old black chair has seen a lot of years and has a great patina. I'm looking forward to seeing your simple Christmas decor. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Unknown said...

I love your home also!!! It's so open and welcoming and absolutely charming!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love your woven coverlets! So beautiful. I just want to reach out a touch them. Shaker is a lovely way to decorate, I have always found it fascinating.

Carolyn said...

Your home is gorgeous! I love Shaker style too. You have made it your own and it's really wonderful. You are very blessed! :o)

Debby Ray said...

I love everything about this... so simple, comfortable and warm. I can almost smell the bread baking in the oven :)

Diane said...

I love all your farmhouse touches. The shaker style is so beautiful in its simplicity.

Endah Murniyati said...

Cute place... so lovely

cynthia lee designs said...

Everything looks great!! I have a stack of those same wooden Shaker boxes.
Hope you have a great weekend.
hugs,
Cindy

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I like your style!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Your home looks like its from another era. I have been planning and wanting and planning to make a wool piece as you did, just haven't done it yet. It is beautiful! And fits your home so well.
Brenda

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Such a fun time exploring all your pictures! So many interesting things to admire.
Have a very blessed Thanksgiving!
Blessings,
Susie

Art and Sand said...

Beautiful decor . . . lovely photos . . .

Unknown said...

Your post is superb. Thanks for sharing us updated information.

Macy
www.gofastek.com

Unknown said...

What is the cast iron skillets hanging from? I am looking for a way to hang mine besides nails.

Unknown said...

What is the cast iron skillets hanging from? I am looking for a way to hang mine besides nails.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...