Sunday, February 7, 2021

Gone To The Farm

It was sometime in the late 1990s that I had a huge task in front of me. . .We had just bought a 1910 Craftsman-style home in a small town in Arkansas. . .It had three floors, the third being a large room attic. . .And it was full. . .Full of old photos, papers, broken furniture, books. . .all the things a family had accumulated for at least 80 years. . .

It fell upon me to clear it all out. . .

While I did find many 'keepers'. . .I think my favorite was this simple note from one of the mothers who had raised their children in the huge old house. . ."Gone To The Farm. . .Ma". . .

I became attached to that note. . .and carried it with me over the years as my job opportunities took me to other states. . .Never realizing. . .nor desiring. . .that I would be returning to the farm one day. . .It was almost as if the note looked into my future. . .and knew what was to be.

So here we are today. . ."Gone to our own farm". . .and the note remains in my treasures. . .I am so thankful that we have been safe down on the farm during these days of the virus and lock-downs. . .It has become a haven and an even greater delight for us. 

One never knows when the smallest thing can become such a blessed one. . .



4 comments:

Catherine said...

It was so nice to find these thing in the attic of the house. I love all the vintage keepers and your last sentence. Yes, I think smallest thing can be a blessed one!
Wishing you a good week

Winnie said...

Dru, I have been following your blogs for years but never really comment. I am also a subscriber to Country Rustic Magazine and have been loving all of the articles you provide! I want to thank-you for the many wonderful ideas, thoughts, recipes, bits of history and the details of what it is like to be the Farmer;s daughter of the Delta. I would be remiss if I also don't mention that your story of kitty, Boo, was near and dear to my heart, and when you lost him, I had recently loss my kitty Bump. Your story and memorial that you did on Boo was the dearest and most beautifully said tribute. I cried at every word that someone else knew how it felt to lose a special Kitty and you were able to put in words what my broken heart only felt and knew. Today, I rush to hear more about M. LaShay and his reign of your homes. He is a blessing to me because I get to hear about what moving on looks like and the joy that comes when a new furry friend takes over. So, thank-you again for your sharing of Kitties in your many articles posted on your blogs.

This new post really tugged at my heartstrings because of it's simplicity. I am a lover of the American story from Jamestown(I was born and raised in Charlottesville, VA.) in 1607 through the next 400 years. Of particular interest lately has been from 1900-1970 since my parents were born 1902 and 1914. Their lives included huge changes in technology and difficulty. Both parents were raised on farms and carried forth those values of hard work, simple living, and just enough income to stay afloat. Your recounts of life on your Delta cotton farm rings bells in my head of life spent in summers on my Grandparent's Indiana farm. The lifestyle that was sometimes firmly back in the 1920s with what sort of technology was available, mixed with proximity to more modern machines and amenities that made life easier. Each decade saw newer and newer ways to farm, travel, and manage everyday homes. The fact that you had the chance to experience the transitions with your grandparents and parents , and then own the property is a story that is both wonderful and culturally important. You and your talented John have saved and created this slice of history for generations now and to come. All of your hard work is a testimony to the preservation of history and all of it's lessons and stories that deserve to be kept alive for future generations.

Yes, who ever knows when the smallest and most unexpected thing will lead to a true blessing? Enjoy the safety of your farm as the nation works to end the pandemic. Soon, the time will come that green shoots will push upward and an entire new cycle of the year will unfold. I am thinking your farm must be quite beautiful when that change gets going!

Curtains in My Tree said...


Yes the note is wonderful, I have a few notes that my grandmother wrote very similar.
I enjoy your farm stories and pictures. Yes we are all blessed to have our safe warm homes these days.

Janice

Dianne said...

What a blessed treasure to find!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...