Monday, April 29, 2013

Farmhouse Chic?


Farmhouse Chic? In the keeping room?
I think so. . . .but I'm liking it. . . .


After we shut down and thoroughly clean the fireplace each Spring, there remains a big gaping cavern at that end of the room.  I've tried filling it with ferns or flowers, covering it with a huge drying rack full of linens, or adding faux fences. . . .It still looked like the dark end of an otherwise bright and cheerful keeping room.

One day recently, John and I were moving the wicker love seat out of the living room (yes, we're still working on the living room repairs--when we get a few moments). . . .The only place to put the wicker was in the keeping room. . . .We plunked it down in front for the fireplace. . . .I liked it!. . . .I began to add to the area, as we brought in junkin' finds. . . .Before I knew it, I had bright and light Farmhouse Chic. . . .or did I?


There's still plenty Plain & Simple Farmhouse Style also. . . .Hey. . . .Maybe I'm combining the two?
I know what I'm doing!. . . .I'm developing my own signature style, aren't I?

Nothing wrong with that!




Anyone who has visited The Country Farm Home knows that I love to incorporate vintage clothing in my decor. . . .There's a softness that fabric lends to a room. . . .It's one of my favorite things. . . .


Utilizing cotton feed sacks also adds softness--advertising included. . . .Never have enough. . . .Always love seeing them. . . .Pretty. . . .and Functional.

Here on the farm, we never heard of French grain sacks and such. . . .Sturdy, woven cotton bagging abounded. . . . Feed and seed bags, sugar and flour bags,  pick sacks, tow sacks, potato sacks. . . .I don't guess there was anything we didn't put in cotton bagging. . . .Once emptied, washed and dried, they provided free fabric yardage. . . .We made aprons, undies, curtains, quilts, dresses, blouses, pillow covers, slipcovers, bed covers--you name it--we made it.

Sturdy? Tremendousely. . . .Withstands many, many washings. . . .and only grows softer and more beautiful with age. . . .




Faded?. . . .Doesn't matter. . . .




Spots and stains or an occasional hole in the bagging doesn't bother me. . . .It adds charm. . . .and a shabby farmhouse touch. . . .

It says to me,
"Come on, sit a spell. . . .You can't muss me up any more than I am already."






During the summer, I enjoy keeping journals. . . .what we plant. . . .what we crafted. . . .recipes tried. . . .canning notes. . . .personal thoughts. . . .So, the little prim table we used all winter for open hearth cooking has become a summer desk. . . .


I couldn't resist adding my Mom's first pair of glasses. . . .She was only three years old when she started wearing them. . . .I think of her often on warm weather days. . . .She was continually busy with sewing, crafting, canning, gardening. . . .much like us. . . .traditions continue on. . . .and so does the endless work. . . .but, it fills the heart with an appreciation of a simpler life. . . .




I think we'll enjoy a little place to rest during our work breaks. . . .a place to grab a magazine, lean back, and get comfy for a few minutes. . . .or at the end of the day.

Yep. . . .I think I'm gonna like it. 

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .

44 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful post. I feel as if I've stepped back in time seeing all the vintage things in your keeping room. I love the old cotton sacks. The wicker settee works in front of the fireplace. I love your farmhouse style! Have a great day and week. Hugs, Pam

chateau chic said...

LOVE what you've done here!! You have the greatest vintage pieces and accessories to create a warm and inviting farmhouse!
Mary Alice

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Your keeping room looks so pretty! I love that old shortening can.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Melissa said...

Everything looks so beautiful!!!! New follower here from Shabby Love!!! I'm slowly redoing my home with more of a farmhouse feel so I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog for inspiration!! :)

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow so beautiful. I love the cozy warm feeling you gave to the room. This is a special place to relax. Loved this post.
Kris

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

I love your Signature Style .. ! Rather it's Country Farmhouse or FarmStyle.. It's all so warm and inviting ..you homes is a great big Hug or Warmth and Love ..exactly what a home should be. Love your feedsack pillows !

I purchased box fulls of all white feedsack last year and it's sitting on a shelf just waiting for me to make it into something .. one day ..LOL !

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Your photos are better than magazine quality, Dru. Great vignettes as always.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a wonderful idea! Love your wicker setee. And all your vintage linens.
I think you are creating your own unique style! ;)

Unknown said...

Wonderful space.
Perfectly Dru!
Love everything.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Tam

Maureen Wyatt said...

The wicker settee in the keeping room is a wonderful idea! It's such a pretty, comfy place to while a way a little time.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

It's beautiful how it's coming together one piece at a time. I love the idea of the journal for what you planted, crafted, etc. The cotton sacks are so cool. I love your style!
Liz

Old Time Cindy said...

You have such a pickin' cool farmhouse style, girl! Wicker is a must...great all around look.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Dawn said...

So love your style and always enjoy all your photos. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin this week:)

cynthia lee designs said...

I love your farmhouse style whether it is plain and simple...or farmhouse chic. It so pretty!! Love, love, love your feed sack pillows. I've been looking for some, but no luck on finding any yet.
hugs,
Cindy

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

What a lovely post. Your keeping room is so simple and peaceful, and very beautiful. I find I like a mix of styles to, hence the subtitle of my blog: Farmhouse meets country, dates French, marries cottage. Have a great week!

Hugs,
Deborah

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love the wicker settee in front of the hearth! all the whites and the wood tones, play nicely together.
I'd say... YOU DO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!
The grains sacks add a nice vintage touch, and the idea of notebooks, journals ...is very appealing.

...keeping some journals myself, Pat

NanaandMeCreations said...

I love it! I want everything here. I feel like I am at home! Thank you for sharing.

Lisa

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

What a sweet little spot...love it all :)

Pam said...

Lovely! I just love the feed sack pillows, and the fading just adds character! I can just feel how soft and comfy by looking at your photos.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Okio B Designs said...

I just love your farmhouse touches! I can't decide which I love more: the grain sack pillows or the cow. Okay, both! =)

Jeanine

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Love your style, Dru! Everything looks so pretty and cozy. I just picked up one of those Bemis feed sacks recently. Now I have a little more inspiration for what to do with it!

Jeanette @ Creating a Life

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I don't like it Dru, I love it! lol! Your own signature style is warm, cozy, and comfrotable. Love the ledger book and your mom's sweet little glasses. My thoughts always go to my mom this time of year. Oh how she loved her flower gardens.
hugs,
Jann

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

What a sweet post. I love all of your posts but this one just became a favorite...maybe it was your momma's glasses ...just sweet all around :)

Robyn said...

What an absolutely lovely post.. You bring us back to a simpler time which I yearn for.. I love love love your decor style.. So comfortable, so inviting an I really loved seeing your moms glasses.. So special...

Kadee Willow said...

A happy accident! Unintentional but yielding a whole new perspective! So many lovely touches that add to a simply lovely environment. And I think my favorite spot is where the open journal is kept on the table.. complete with the glasses your mother wore. Such a delight! May I sit a spell with you??!

Donna Wilkes said...

It is True Dru farm style! Love the wicker settee in front of the fireplace. I never can decide what to put in front of our fireplace to cover it in the summer. Last year I used a chest of drawers that fit perfectly under the mantel molding, but I forgot and sold it! I can just feel the softness of the feed sacks. I did not appreciate them when I was young and now I wish I had them back.

The Long Awaited Home said...

I would love to sit a spell in this dreamy room!

shannon i olson said...

What a gorgeous room, love every little touch!

Debra@CommonGround said...

just perfect! A wicker settee and grain sack pillows are wonderful anywhere!

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

I just love your décor and style! What a beautiful place you have! I am a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to stop by my blog and hopefully you will want to follow me back! Happy weekend! nicole

Rita said...

Your post is so inspiring and beautiful. i love your decor and style. so welcoming and inviting.
rita

Old Time Cindy said...

Thank you kindly for boot scootin’ on over to the Old Time Party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Robin Johnson said...

What a cozy and delightful place to spend a little time. I love all of your displays. It's all so pretty.

angela hodges abode said...

I love this vintage farmhouse look. I grew up on a farm and it brings back so many wonderful memories. Found you on Make it pretty Monday Newest Follower. You can find me painting, decorating and baking on HickoryTrail

Anonymous said...

Lost in a dream. Beautiful.
xoxo's

Emily said...

Such a beautiful arrangement! I love mixing farm house with French shabby chic. I think they compliment each other well!

Maria Elena said...

Beautiful post and lovely pictures!
I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

Stacey said...

Your images are so pretty. You could make a calendar out of those pretty sights. :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Every vignette is stunning and your pictures are unreal beautiful. Gorgeous. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Party that is ongoing.
http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/05/163rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html

Hugs, Marty

Patty said...

Love your dreamy photos...

Patty said...

Love your dreamy photos...

Art and Sand said...

You have got me thinking about putting something in front of our fireplace until fall.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

It's really quite beautiful! Thank you for sharing! You are the Most Viewed Post at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here's the link if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_12.html Have a happy Sunday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Unknown said...

Good Morning and Merry Christmas, May I ask what a keeping room is, never heard of that before. Wado in advance...Pen from the south

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...