Monday, October 15, 2012

Wagon of Plenty & A "Chilly" Monday Recipe for Tomato Lentil Soup


You're looking at a fall Wagon of Plenty that was literally here yesterday and gone today. . . .
Yep. . . .It's gone now. . . .It was so pretty and festive. . . .
and then the winds came. . . .
We expect wind in the Fall. . . .but 45 mph?. . . .


 I was so glad the weather man gave us a heads up, so I could run out, 
quickly take photographs, and move my beautiful mums back indoors. . . .
I left the wagon and heavier items. . . .
They faired well, but look a little bare today. . . .


. . . .I love this red wagon John made me for Christmas a few years ago. . . .
He built it to use in the garden. . . .for moving dirt and compost. . . .
but who could use such a beautiful wagon for that. . . .


It was a wagon full of Harvest--pumpkins, gourds, beautiful mums--with vines all around. . . .


And, on the porch floor I added one of John's church birdhouses. . . .
I bet by now you've figured out that  birdhouses are a favorite here. . . .
Our farm has almost become a bird sanctuary in the spring and summer. . . .
When we first moved here in 2006, there were a few sparrows, black birds, 
and the resident barn owls, Lucille and Hooter. . . .
Over the years, our bird population has grown--doves, mockingbirds, cardinals, martins, 
bluebirds, thrush, woodpeckers. . . .
They've found us to be a safe haven. . . .We anticipate their return every spring. . . .
and John makes sure there's plenty of houses for them. . . .


I loved the way this vignette turned out. . . .it was so inviting from the road. . . .oh, well. . . .
when Mother Nature gets something in her head, there's no stopping her, is there? 
Maybe I'll venture out one day and re-place everything. . . .
but, today, I have at least four projects going. . . .
one of which is a delicious vegetarian chili. . . . .


It's that time of year again, when a good warm bowl of soup or chili smells and tastes so good. . . . 
A few months ago, I returned to a more vegetarian style of eating. . . .
I've been amazed at all the wonderful recipes I've found. . . .
This one came out of the Relish section of our Wednesday newspaper. . . .
I thought I'd share it with you on this "chilly" Monday.
You won't miss the meat at all . . . .

Tomato Lentil Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry lentils
1/2 cup quick-cooking bulgur
(I used Arkansas brown rice)
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
Cook 7 minutes,
Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes.
Serve with yogurt, onion, and/or hot sauce.
Serves 6.
233 calories per serving.


I haven't gotten the "thumbs up" sign from John, yet. . . .
He's off working again today. . . .but, I did save him a bowl. . . .

I'm not very fond of lentils. . . .so, I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted so good. . . .
a definite keeper of a recipe. . . .I keep sneaking a taste now and then. . . .
If I don't quit, I'll have to make another pot tomorrow! ! !

from my farmhouse kitchen to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

22 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Your little wagon is just wonderful. What a super guy you have. No, you can never expect MN to do as she says, usually. But it still looked very pretty. I'm off to make meat loaf now..Happy Monday..Judy

Cranberry Morning said...

Beautiful photos! That wagon is just perfect. Don't you just love fall and the extraordinary colors of nature at this time of year!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

The wagon was super. Too bad the winds were so rough. I have been slowly taking my stuff in for the winter. As soon as Halloween is over, so is outdoor fall decorating. It all goes in for the winter.

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi, my sweet friend,
Don't you just love the Fall? What an abundant display filled with colorful gourds, blooms and pumpkins...It really is a Wagon of Plenty!
I enjoy your blog so very much. It's just chocked full of beauty and charm!
I hope you have a great week!
Blessings,
Carolynn xo

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

This little wagon all decorated up is the cutest! Chili weather sounds wonderful. Were pretty warm here right now, and looking to be in the 80's the rest of the week :(
I am ready for fall weather to get here and stay for a while.

Gail said...

I love your wagon and your fall display was beautiful inside of it!! I have to be careful what I put on my front porch because wind....I've learned that the hard way.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That's so cute! And I love your white pot on the stove. It is very pretty!

Old Time Cindy said...

Love the wagon...I could use John around here for some of my projects! We have an abundance of birds also. I love my birds. But you have barn owls!!! I hear an owl once in awhile near our home. And I'm a vegetarian too (well, I eat fish now) and fix a 5 bean chili.

Kristen Pare said...

Newest follower! Your wagon reflects a gorgeous display of Fall in its glory. Thank you for sharing, Kris

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the wagon!! We had some really high winds here and some storms. Had to close the booth down early at the show because of it.
~Cindy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru that red wagon is fabulous! Can't believe hubby made it. Darn those winds! So glad you snapped a few pics. I too love birdhouses and have them throughout the garden. Your soup sounds yummy for a cold day and I love the onion rosette!
Hugs,
Jann

Annette T. said...

I'm one of your newest followers thanks to Brenda. The red wagon is fantastic. Aren't those wonderful treasures, things that our husbands build us? Your watercolors are wonderful. I've been painting in watercolors for over a year now after over 20 years in acrylics as a decorative artist, and it is a different animal! I'm looking forward to many more of your pictures.

Ruby and Arthur said...

Your veggie chili looks so good. I love the red wagon and have always wanted one! Changing the vignettes would be so much fun, blessings, Jean

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, my word!!! I can't believe you have resident barn owls!!! I'm so jealous.

Sure wish I was one of those folks who could whip up a vignette like that for my house. But, no porch to put it on, anyway, much to my dismay.

Tanya Breese said...

oh man, i loved your little wagon o plenty, dang wind! that chili looks yummo...perfect for a chilly evening!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

What a great wagon and love the "plenty" that you filled it with. I guess that's the way isn't it? To have things here today and gone tomorrow. At least you had the foresight to get on your camera. I enjoyed seeing the abundance of Fall goodness!
Liz

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your wagon of plenty was just glorious! The church birdhouse has so much charm.

Debra

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Very sad that the wind dismantled your beautiful wagon display. :(

I'm visiting from the Homestead Barn Hop and would like to invite you to link up with us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week too!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/clever-chicks-blog-hop-5-happy-hen.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Dru, I will be featuring you wonderful 'wagon of plenty' at Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Linda said...

What a fantastic fall display!!

That chili looks so yummy. Thanks for the recipe. My daughter will just love it.

Barbara Jean said...

love your cart full of treasures...

OK. now. Just know that I am off looking at everything!!

and I signed up for email, so I do not miss a thing...
but, I'll take a break form comments so I can look more.

terrific blog.
blessings
barb

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic fall display!! Beautiful photos! I loved your little wagon..thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...