Thursday, December 14, 2017

Angels-Reindeer-Candlelight: A Little Thrifty Christmas Inspiration



Do you tire of the same old Christmas decorations you've used over and over, year after year? . .I admit that I have. . .which has led me to be a bit unconventional this year with my Christmas colors. . .If you haven't noticed in previous posts, LIME GREEN and WHITE have set the THEME. . .It all came about when I visited our local Goodwill with Christmas in mind. . .I was tired of the traditional. . .tired of most of the decorations I've seen year after year. . .I wanted NATURAL elements. . .something SIMPLE but STRIKING. . .and most of all. . .things that I wouldn't have to pack up the first of the year. . .


Our white kitchen with it's wall of cast iron skillets, along with the black and white checkerboard floor in the keeping room are pretty easy to add any pops of COLOR. . .like icing on the cake. . .I had no idea what color I wanted, but quickly I found my INSPIRATION PIECE. . .Of all things. . .it was a LIME GREEN POLKA DOT dust ruffle. . .perfect for table runners. . .All I had to do was detach the outer fabric and hem one edge. . .


Once I saw the dust ruffle, I knew the direction I was going. . .LIME GREEN and WHITE. . .Down another aisle I found Hallmark All Occasion WRAPPING PAPER in the same colors. . .At Lowes I found EVERGREENS on clearance for $2-$3. . .I bought five. . .At a dollar store I picked up WHITE GLITTER TREE ORNAMENTS, SNOWFLAKES and several boxes of emergency CANDLES. . .



at Aldi's I bought an extra bag of Granny Smith APPLES. . .



At Dirt Cheap I found a beautiful smocked white VELVET PILLOW. . .

What FUN. . .






Back at home, I headed for our own EVERGREENS where I cut branches for the old ICE CREAM BUCKET, which I had spray white earlier in the year. . .Some HONEYSUCKLE VINE to surround the bucket. . .




My favorite brass REINDEER came out of storage. . .as did the ANGELS. . .White IRONSTONE and CHINA from my collection. . .mix and match. . .



It all came together quickly. . .from a Goodwill dust ruffle inspiration. 
It's SIMPLE. . .it's CHEERY. . .it's PLAYFUL. . .We LOVE it. . .




And. . .when Christmas is over. . .the EVERGREENS will be planted outdoors. . .the APPLES will be eaten (if not before). . .the WHITE IRONSTONE and CHINA will go back in the cupboard. . .the ICE CREAM BUCKET will go by the fireplace. . .the white PILLOW will remain for the winter. . .The ANGEL, REINDEER and ORNAMENTS will be the only items to store. . .LOVE IT. . .


Not bad on the pocketbook either. . . 

Dust Ruffle--$2
Hallmark Wrapping Paper--$.50
White Glitter Tree Ornaments--$2
Snowflake Ornaments--$1
Emergency Candles (2 boxes )--$2
Ribbon--$1
Evergreens (5)--$10
Granny Smith Apples--$1.99
Smocked White Velvet Pillow--$5

From around the house:
Brass Reindeer Candlesticks
Single Candlesticks
Angels
Ice Cream Bucket
String for Packages
Honeysuckle Vine
Evergreen Cuttings

Total Expense: $25.49

 

I hope I've inspired you just a little. . .I do greatly admire the homes that are all tinsel and lights. . .There are some absolutely gorgeous examples on the blogs and Pinterest. . .I enjoy and admire them all. . .I've had many years of decorating in the same way. . .But for the last couple of years, we've come to enjoy a more NATURAL, SIMPLE CHRISTMAS. . .and have realized that we have extra time--with less stress--for enjoying the HOLIDAYS and EACH OTHER. . .and that's a VERY GOOD THING. . .




5 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love your use of nontraditional ideas. I can't believe you found that dust ruffle. It was perfect for your table runner. This year I wanted to decorate the tree in blue/aqua. It started with an autumn wreath in those colors. I just didn't want to let go of those colors. I didn't do as well as you, but I tried. I bought a flannel blanket ($2) in those colors as my tree skirt and a set of aqua ornaments ( maybe $3 but not more). I kept my aqua throw on the couch and decorated the tree with travel ornaments and aqua ribbon. I don't want to have anything new to pack up, but I'll need to save the ornaments. I'd love to find some aqua pillow covers as I have no more room in our patio house to store pillows.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love it! You never know when inspiration will strike! Those dishes are lovely. And I love your apple arrangement!

Cindy Lou said...

Very different ! Like the colors !

Anne's Attic - Design said...

I love your deer candelabras! They look so beautiful on your table.
Merry Christmas! Jo

Becky said...

It’s really pretty. I also like the idea that you aren’t storing a lot of things away. You are using what you have only in a different way. Love that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...