Friday, May 31, 2013

A Summer Farmhouse Bedroom Reveal


Wheeeee. . . .What a week!
Now it's Friday. . . .Where did the week go?
 It's about time I get this Farmhouse Bedroom posted!


It's not Plain & Simple as I envisioned. . . .No, it's Farmhouse Chic!
One of the reasons it took me so long to finished was because I couldn't find the elements I needed for a Plain & Simple bedroom. . . .I searched high and low. . . .in closets, attics, storage. . . .I gave up. . . .finally. . . .One day I'll find them and will be able to show the bedroom in a different style.


I was inspired by my blogging friend Jill at Homespun and Handmade who makes the softest, most gorgeous quilts out of vintage sheets. . . .I also found a blog called Naughty Shorts, where vintage sheets are used to make wonderfully lovely dresses. . . .Both so inspiring. . . .Enough so that on the 100 mile yard sale last weekend, I picked up quite a few sheets and pillowcases at very little expense. . . .My plan was to stitch up a couple of dresses for interpreting the 1930s here at the farm. . . .Washed, starched, and ironed, a few stood out. . . .Paired with the vintage Chenille spread, they're perfect choices for a Summer Farmhouse Bedroom. . . .




In years past, I haven't used a dust ruffle. . . .I like the open, airy look. . . .When I decided to add one, frilly and fancy wasn't an option for me. . . .I chose a sheer fabric, laid it across the box springs, and tied the ends at the posts. . . .

 So EASY. . . .


To soften the wall, I hung white, thrifted drapes from the pegged board. . . .Added a hand painted window above the bed. . . .And ironstone pitchers. . . .A Sunday hat. 


This wall is a short one. . . . The bed is placed there because I love waking up and being able to see the barns, buildings, and flower gardens out two windows. . . .One day I'll show you the view. . . .
 

Fresh roses from the garden. . . .A vintage jewelry box. . . .A 25c platter from the 100 mile yard sale. . . .Aunt Mamie's hanky. . . .All sitting on top of a stool--also a yard sale purchase. . . .




A favorite quilt hangs on the ladder close-by for chilly nights. . . .




Mom's "Little Kitty" rests at the end of the bed. . . .

I gave this sweetie to Mom one Christmas. . . .So lifelike that it fooled a lot of people. . . .We had many laughs about it. . . .I remember one time a guest asked if the kitty was okay? . . . .He hadn't seen it move for the whole two hours he'd been talking. . . .Mom and I both burst out in laughter. . . .

I've fooled several people on the blog, too. . . .Now you know my secret. . . .


Between the farmhouse closet doors hangs a collection of vintage prints and needlework. . . .


 The "Ladies" show off their new clothes from the yard sale. . . .


Reflecting in the painted vanity. . . .
(More photos of this beautiful piece at A Bedroom Vanity Change.)


Even though I thought I wanted a Plain & Simple style, Farmhouse Chic is good. . . .
I think I told you once that the way I know it's time for a change was when I walk into a room and don't smile or notice it. . . .

I'm smiling. . . .

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . 

52 comments:

Susie said...

I love the look of this bedroom. So crisp and charming. The cat is a cute idea. Enjoy your weekend. xoxo,Susie

Florida Farm Girl said...

What a sweet bedroom!!! It would be wonderful to luxuriate in that coolness.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the look of your farmhouse bedroom! I've got many of the same elements in the bedroom I'm currently working on, from the old iron bed to the chenille bedspread. Your room looks so cozy and it's motivating me to get my room finished. Thanks for the wonderful bedroom tour!

Suzanne said...

I think it looks absolutely lovely!

Old Time Cindy said...

I love chenille bedspreads. And that clothing on your 'ladies'...I'd be wearing that myself! Lovely bedroom.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I love the bedroom! It's so pretty.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jeannie said...

I bet you are smiling. It is lovely.http://forwhatitsworth-jeannie.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-guest-bedroom.html

Unknown said...

Your room is very pretty and the linens are the perfect touch.

sweetvintageofmine said...

Prettier than any B & B!! I love the soft colors and the vintage decor is outstanding. Those ladies standing there have one beautiful room!! Blessings~~~Roxie

Anne said...

What a beautiful room!Love how soft and feminine it is!
xx
Anne

Kassandra said...

This bedroom looks great! So fresh and romantic... I´d love to decorate mine this way too but, you know, my husband thinks it´s too "girly" for his taste, so I´ll have to think about something different LOL
Hugs,
K.

Junkchiccottage said...

This bedroom is so soft and comfy. I would want to curl up and take a nice rest in this bedroom. Very pretty.
Kris

cynthia lee designs said...

I love it...still says farmhouse to me. So pretty and comfy!!
hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

I agree with everyone else. It still says simple, farm house to me! Love every bit of it.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I'm smiling too Dru. Love, the farmhouse chic! Everything is just perfect. Heading for Spain in the morning. So glad that I didn't miss this post.
hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

Very lovely!

I love the pegboard above the bed with the fabric attached. It makes the room so soft and cozy. I'm intrigued with the artwork that is on each side of the bed near the baseboard. I've never seen that done before. (Or is it an optical illusion that I'm not seeing correctly)?

I could definitely stay in this room!

Dawn said...

Just beautiful, I love everything about it and don't think you need to change a thing:)

Pamela Gordon said...

Love this room. It looks very fresh and like an old farmhouse bedroom. The pastels and sweet linens are perfect and so pretty.

Stacey said...

That room is just dreamy! I love the soft colors and vintage items. My MIL has one of those kitties....it fools everyone. :)

Patti said...

I am so happy that I found you today - your blog is very inspirational. My bedroom has similar colors - white, blue, pastels - but, you have soooo many wonderful ideas. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Dru, your room and especially the bed is so beautiful. Those sheets.............those sheets!!! Beautiful. That is always the tough part, to leave as is or cut and make quilts or dresses. Love the Naughty Shorts blog...cute dresses.

Thanks for sharing Dru, you are such a dear.
blessings, jill

JP said...

Dru, as always, your room and pics are so sweet....thanks for sharing!
JP

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Beautiful room, the look and feel is so comfortable!

Pam said...

I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE your adorable bedroom re-do! Everything is so fresh and pretty! The outfits on the dress form and gorgeous! What a wonderful job you did!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

chateau chic said...

Your bedroom does look very chic!!! So much charm with your wonderful vintage finds.
Mary Alice

Sunny Simple Life said...

That is a gorgeous, cozy space.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting me! I LOVE that bedroom, with all it's lightness and airy pastels, so relaxing. You did a beautiful job. I thought the kitty was real, too! Blessings to you - Dawn

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lovely! Love your sheets and quilts. I have a set of vintage sheets I am using, but they need to be retired soon. So sad as they are the softest sheets!

Laurel Stephens said...

This is such a lovely bedroom. Every detail is so special!

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

It turned out beautifully and that is my kind of kitten!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

What a beautiful room. I love all of it. YOu did such an amazing job decorating. Love the bedding and the pillowcases...just beautiful.
Blessing,s
Debbie

Unknown said...

Love, love your blog. You are such and inspiration to me. Thank you for leaving such sweet comments on the feature of My Ordinary Country Life on Cindy's blog. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Hugs.
Lisa

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Beautiful! So welcoming and restful looking!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a beautiful bedroom! Every detail is so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays!
Have a wonderful weekend!


Take Care,
Jody

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

SOOOOO pretty..warm and inviting! Love all your little touches...that's what really makes a room! All the best,Chrissy

Lisascraftiques said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful space to take a nap! So relaxing and sweet!

Unknown said...

Oh so pretty! I love every bit of this pretty pretty room!

~Liz

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So beautiful! Love the old quilts, and the ladies all dressed up!

Amy Kinser said...

Your bedroom looks so pretty, comfy, cozy, and perfectly farmhouse chic. You are so great at the neat details.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Visiting from French Country Cottage. Love your new bedroom make-over with its pretty linen and farmhouse feel.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a beautiful bedroom! I love the look and the drapes behind the bed look lovely :)

Unknown said...

Just perfect!
Thanks for sharing.

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

I have the exact same pink, rosy pillow cover...I only have one though. It is so soft. Thanks for sharing.

Badgertails said...

Absolutely beautiful! I adore whites & pastels, and this bedroom is so refreshing and uplifting. Wonderfully inspirational, thanks! b_t x

One Shabby Old House said...

When you pull up your covers on that beautiful bedding of yours do you just smile and then go off into the best dreamland. What a perfect atmosphere to drift off to sleep in!

One Shabby Old House said...

When you pull up your covers on that beautiful bedding of yours do you just smile and then go off into the best dreamland. What a perfect atmosphere to drift off to sleep in!

bj said...

ahhhh....this takes one back to the days when things were simpler...not all matchy-match...I love the softness...just a delightful bedroom.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a beautiful bedroom!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

No it's not PLAIN and SIMPLE farmhouse style but it's PERFECT!

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Over from Knick of Time. I absolutely adore your bedroom. Its so serene, so chic and timeless. I love all the sweet, nostalgic touches!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I love every single detail, yes, I do! Kitty can just sleep so peacefully in that pretty room! He dos look very real, haha!! Love your idea for a dust ruffle. I know you smile when you walk in here now! I sure would. Great job and lovely details.
Blessings,
Susie

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a charming room...luv those girls that you have in there.

Blessings,
Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...