Monday, November 19, 2012

Putting Thanks into Thanksgiving



Turkey dinners, cranberries, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and family gatherings. . . .Are we all ready?


We're actually going out of town for Thanksgiving, but when I found the two beautiful ceramic pumpkins on sale at 80% off last week, I couldn't just pack them away for next year. . . .So, I grabbed some burlap, twig wreaths, glass candlesticks, a metal chick and started arranging a vignette for us to enjoy.

Something was missing, though. . . .

I thought about the old songbooks I have. . . .Thumbing through them, my eyes focused on one song in particular. . . .


"We Thank Thee, Lord"

I paused for a moment and thought how Thanksgiving should be a day to reflect and to offer Thanks. . . .just as the Pilgrims did back in the fall of 1621. . .As I read the words, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. . . .



"For all the blessings of the year, For all the friends we hold so dear, 
For peace on earth, both far and near, We thank Thee, Lord.

For life and health, those common things, Which every day and hour brings,
For home, where our affection clings, We thank Thee, Lord

For love of Thine, which never tires, Which all our better thought inspires,
And warms our lives with heavenly fires, We thank Thee, Lord."


What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? 
Take a few moments to reflect on the blessings You hold so dear. . . .
And, celebrate in the spirit of Thanks Giving. . . .

from my Thankful farmhouse to yours. . . .



19 comments:

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a lovely vignette and beautiful song. It says it all!
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Anonymous said...

I love the sweet old hymn and your vignette is so lovely! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such a heart warming post! There is so much , I feel to be thankful for......our country......my family.......peacefulness....wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pam said...

What an absolutely beautiful vignette! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

A Bit of Colour said...

Beautiful Table setting! My husband & I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, I would not know where to start!Just thanking the LORD for HIM & HIS great Grace!

Happy Thanksgiving! ~ Kim

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Beautiful song! Yes, so many things to be thankful for this year. I do think that your vignette is divine and I would have bought those pretty pumpkins, too! thanks for sharing your blessings.
Susie

Old Time Cindy said...

Your table looks fantastic. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you :) Lovely post :)

craftyles said...

Just beautiful. I'm checking on my songbook stash to see what I can come up with. A simple but effective idea. Thanks for sharing!

sweetvintageofmine said...

Your table setting is beautiful! LOVE those white pumpkins...and what a deal! But your sheet of music is so touching.....Being THANKFUL...where to begin..I'm Thankful for GOD sending his only SON JESUS, who died for our sins and I thank him for HEALING me...Ones thankfulness could go on and on....Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving! Roxie

Deanna said...

What a great table setting for the Thanksgiving Holidays and the sweet song is a great reminder.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love the vignette. I think vignettes are easier to put together when you have lots of stuff! Happy Thanksgiving!

ScrappyMama said...

Beautiful vignette & a perfectly appropriate song...you're right, it was the finishing touch!!

cynthia lee designs said...

What a beautiful vignette on your table!!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
hugs,
Cindy

Jori said...

Beautiful table! I am so thankful for good health! I have been cancer free for nearly 5 years!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Goodness...there is SO much to be thankful for but I'm most thankful for His saving grace.
I'd be enjoying your beautiful table vignette as well. ;)
Wishing you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and John. Hope its a wonderful day.

J9sHappiness said...

What a beautifully inspiring blog post. I've never heard that song before but find the words so gorgeous. I'm your newest follower and found you through the linky party - please do pop over to my blog if you get a mo! J9 x

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru I love your vignette. The pumpkins were a great buy and the addition of the sheet music was the perfect touch. I love the words to that song. I am so thankful for friends like you. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...