Saturday, September 8, 2012

Easy as 1-2-3 White Wash


This week I found an old barn door in storage that was perfect for hiding the fridge.
I've been looking for one on my junking trips with no luck--a good thing--
I'd forgotten about this one. . . .


Kind of "beat up"--that's the rustic part--
but a bit drab for the white kitchen---
had discolorations and some kind of dark something that had been spilled on it. . . .
So, I decided to give the vintage barn door a face lift.

This white wash technique works best on old wood or pallet wood or any wood with texture. 
 I think it's a lot easier than mixing water with paint and then applying it.
You'll have much more control over the white washing process, too.
Easy as 1-2-3. . . .

1-Water
It's best to lay the object flat.
Brush water directly onto the wood. . . .

2-Paint
Brush on a little "full strength" paint. . . .
Working with a little at a time. . . .

3-Water
Dip the tip of your brush into the water. . . .
Blend the paint and water in  long brush strokes.
 Most of the time, you'll be able to go a long way
without more paint and water.
You'll love the control you have. . . .
The wet boards make blending easy. . . . 

Add a little more paint if there's too much water.
Not too much. . . .
It will dry whiter than it looks when wet.

Still not white enough?
Brush on more paint and add water as needed.
Too white?
Brush on more water.
Once the wood is completely dry,
you can seal it--but it's not necessary.

I spent about 45 minutes total on the entire piece.
Fast and easy--I love those words. . . .

We've used this method on barn wood signs, bird houses,
the bird condo, jelly cabinets, old windows--
anywhere I wanted a little "pickling" effect.

 And, here's the result. . . .
Not bad for a 75 year old.

The door looks fantastic in the kitchen--
helps to hide the refrigerator from sight.
We used "L" brackets on the wide baseboard
to hold the door upright.

John told me months ago if I wanted to be authentic to the 1930s,
I should move the vintage oak icebox in and have ice delivered daily.
Well--some things I don't want to do without--
As long as I can hide them. . . .


Remember:
Easy as 1-2-3. . . .


31 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice trick. Thanks for sharing.
Is it just leaning in front of the fridge??
Cheers, Gee

Cottage Dreaming and Flea Market Wishing said...

beautiful!

cynthia lee designs said...

It turned out great! Thanks for sharing how you did it.
hugs,
Cindy

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love this idea of having the fridge built in look.
Now, I know this sounds funny, because I know your intent is to 'hide' the fridge.
But I hope you would show your fridge from a different view in your beautiful kitchen...not hidden so I cat get a jist of how it looks all together? I hope that make sense...
Cause I'm visual, you know?

I love that technique...though It(the barn door) would be a bit rustic in my kitchen... I do have an old farmhouse door. If I could just get The Honey on board with it.
I'm going to look at your kitchen again...so I can see where you fridge is. Your kitchen is what drew me to your blog! I saw it CLH!
Thanks so much. Pat

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Ok...never mind. I found it.
I looked at the pictures of you kitchen on your OUR HOME DECOR page... and see where you fridge is-- and I now understand the juxtaposition of the fridge to the rest of the kitchen!

...and I.LOVE.IT!
Not only does it look so great--with the technique and all. But, in keeping with the rest of your 'hidden' kitchen...You've done a great job of hiding it!
Kudos on a job well, done.
No need for pictures now. (for me anyway) ...Thanks Pat

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh I love it..and I too love my modern conveniences..have a great weekend.)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I use dry brush technique all the time but have never wet the piece first. Looks good on barnwood.

Jeannie said...

I've wanted to do a white washed piece for a long time. Your method is one I believe I can do cause it's 1,2,3 easy!

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh my Gosh that is so great. I love that it hides the modern appliance!!!! Very clever.
Kris

Betsy said...

Never thought of wetting the piece first. Thanks for sharing.
Betsy

Angi at drakestone primitives country cabin said...

Love the barn door and a great effect.. Will have to try that.. Thanx for sharing Angi X

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I have never white washed anything before, but if I ever do, I will remember this. It sounds very easy! Maybe I do need to white wash something....... :)

Olive said...

Yayness. It looks great and I desperately need 1-2-3 projects. Visiting from Brenda's. Olive

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Can't wait to white wash something!!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Penny

bj said...

How awesome is this!!! Is the door leaning against your fridge door???

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

What a beautiful finish...and so easy! Thanks for sharing.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

It looks beautiful...you made it look so easy!

Amy Kinser said...

Your old door looks great! Love the easiness of how you prettied her up.

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you for sharing your creative project at Potpourri Friday!

Heaven's Walk said...

Beautiful job on that whitewshing! It looks just perfect!! :)

xoxo laurie

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks so good! I'd love for you to share this at my party if you get a minute!
http://www.oneartsymama.com/2012/09/shine-on-fridays-45-and-giveaway.html

thistlewoodfarm said...

What a great idea! I have always white washed the other way....I will have to try this!

Have a blessed day!
karianne

Unknown said...

Great idea. Like you white wash technique.

Crane Farms said...

this looks beautiful! Pinning to pinterest!

The Charm of Home said...

This looks wonderful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Dru! You did make that look so fresh for your kitchen! white wash! I gotta try this one, love the look.
Bless you,
Susie

Old Time Cindy said...

Your farmhouse creativity continues to amaze me! Again...thanks for boot scootin' on over to join the Old Time Party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

sweetvintageofmine said...

AWESOME LOOK! Great idea for hiding the fridge....you have the perfect spot! Roxie

Barbara Jean said...

great tips!! thanks
love the door.

have 3 sections of fence that would work great on. =)

blessings
barb

Hansjoerg said...

This week I found an old barn door in storage that was perfect for hiding the fridge. I've been looking for one on my junking trips with no luck--a ... bbarndoor.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the way this door looks and have been looking for a good tutorial to try it. I have a question, can you do the same technique using a colored chalk paint? I am wanting to do this to an old wall hanging that has been weathered, but want to use a blue color. Thanks for any advice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...