Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spring Starts in the Bath



It's SPRING in the bathroom. . .I'm ignoring the 10"+ of snow and 2" of ice outside the window. . .It began with the gorgeous yellow roses that my Honey brought home. . .and a ducky Thrift Store find. .


Every time I look at this hand towel, I think about one Easter when I was six. . .For years I begged for baby ducks at Easter. . .That year I talked Daddy into a couple of them. . .one for me. . .one for my brother. . .I named them Bonnie and Clyde. . .I was so happy. . .carrying that little ball of fluff everywhere. . .watching them swim in a #3 washtub of water. . .I could barely sit through church for anticipating the fun I would have with the baby ducks waiting for me at home. . .
But then. . .as with all babies. . .my ducks grew up and became a nuisance to us all. . .Mama went on the rampage when they trampled down her flowers. . .I lost interest, too, after Clyde nipped my hand as I tried to move him away from Mama's wrath. . .I didn't protest one bit when Daddy decided Bonnie and Clyde would be much happier (and us, too) at a local park, where there was a small lake and other ducks to keep them company. . .That Sunday afternoon, we all packed into the station wagon with the very loud and fussy ducks. . .off to Walker Park in Blytheville. . .You've heard the saying, "Like a duck to water". . .I honestly think I saw smiles on Bonnie and Clyde's faces when they were set free along the edge of the lake. . .They didn't look back either as I blew them kisses 'Good-bye'. . .


We visited Bonnie and Clyde several times. . .but after a while, I didn't ask to go anymore. . .My duck love was over. . .It might sound like a sad story but it actually was a good lesson for me. . .Cute and cuddly eventually grows up. . .Life changes. . .'Children' become adults. . .and strike out on their own. . .It's the circle of life. . .a good lesson to learn at such a young age.
TREASURE THE MOMENT. . .FOR IT WILL SURELY CHANGE. . .

I suppose it could also encourage all of us who are snowed and iced in this 5th day of March. . .SPRING WILL COME. . .and Life will continue on as it should. . .


But. . .I'm helping it along a little faster in the bath. . .I guess you can see that I'm stepping out of the my usual neutral palette. . .with the soft pastels of SPRING. . .The bath is the perfect place to stage such as palette with it's soft blue wainscoting below the off-white walls. . . Such a simple little change that has made such a big difference. . .


I do have one thing to admit to you. . .As I gazed out the window this morning at the huge drifts of white. . .the six year old within me could hardly wait to go out and play. . .ready to discover the winter wonderland we rarely get here in the South. . .So maybe for just a little while since the sun has come out?
If I could only find those BOOTS. . .
 
 
 

6 comments:

Jan said...

Your beautiful yellow roses and pale blue make me so ready for spring! We too have snow, but the sky is blue and the sun is shining!

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Yellow is the perfect way to bring spring in. The roses are beautiful!

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Debby Ray said...

Aww...I love this post. Your yellow roses are just lovely... isn't it nice to have a hubby that brings you flowers? Such a bittersweet story about the ducks but 'tis the things are lives are made of :)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a lovely story! How we would have loved baby ducks ( I still would!).

Sorry to hear you have so much snow to dampen your Spring spirits. We too got 6" of snow and ice on top. But it is March hear and to be expected..... Next week we are suppose to be up to 40 degrees! Time to give the front porch a spring update!

Sam I Am...... said...

I found my boots!!!! I was out the door with the girls and we played!
I love snow and I miss the big blizzards we'd get up North but yesterday was pretty close!
I loved your duck story....you should write in addition to your blog. You're very good.
Your bathroom is precious and yellow roses? My favorites! Yes, little yellow duckies....so cute.
Stay warm!

Cindy Lou said...

A. Very special post indeed! I will never forget those words of wisdom and reflection! Treasure the moment ! So inspiring and a heartwarming story! For me it was a bunny named Thumper! The same situation happened! Sweet childhood lessons hold true through our lives! Take care as we cherish our life! Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...