Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal, Part I


Here's a riddle for you. . . .
What's black and white and 'red' all over?

Do you know the answer? It's a very old one. . . .


This Summer, the answer is: Our Kitchen!!!!
(I'll give you the traditional answer at the end of this post.)

Or, I should say our Keeping Room. . . .the actual kitchen work area will be revealed in Part II next week. . . .I had so many great photos, it was hard to pick just a few. . . .so tune in next week again for another reveal! . . . . I've changed quite a few things in the kitchen. . . .you won't want to miss it. . . .


Today. . . .I'm showcasing the Keeping Room. . . .the heart of our home. . . .

What is a Keeping Room?. . . .Many of you have asked. 
A Keeping Room is an area off the kitchen of a home, dating back to Colonial times when families would sleep in that area because the rest of the house was cold. . . .It's now better known as a family or hearth room. . . .We prefer the age-old standard of  'Keeping Room'. . . .since we're 'colonial' at heart. . . .

During the Summer, there's no reason to fire up the hearth. . . .way too hot to cook in a fireplace. . . .I decided this year to turn it into a sitting area. . . .where we can easily entertain visitors while continuing to work in the kitchen. . . .or, for our own personal use for reading and relaxing a bit. . . .and a wonderful place to sit and gaze out the window early in the morning with a cup of coffee in hand.. . .no mosquitoes. . . .


I suppose you noticed that Fred (Ficus) moved from the bath to the keeping room?
He needed a little more sunlight. . . .I truly like him better here. . . .Along with fresh flowers, he brings garden style to the room, don't you think?


The doll house?. . . .Where is it?. . . .Moved to the living room where I can watch a little TV while playing. . . .You'll be sure to see it in later posts. . . .(grin)

Look at all the light coming in that window!. . . .I do love a bright room. . . .It gives me a little problem with photos but that's okay. . . .I'd rather have the light. . . .We don't curtain or drape the windows in this room. . . .Our nearest neighbor would need binoculars to see in. . . .One of the perks of living on a farm. . . .


 Another perk of living in an agricultural area is a constant food supply in the Summer. . . .Watermelon, apples,  strawberries, fresh veggies are abundant during this time of the year. . .Right now, it's harvest time for watermelon. . . .Fields and fields of them. . . .So, I pulled out the watermelon placemats, cut some limbs of raspberry color crepe myrtle and set the table for a watermelon-fruit fest supper. . . .that wouldn't be complete without. . . .


ice cream. . . .and. . . .


soda pop. . . .


tiny bottle aprons. . . .and. . . .


homemade oatmeal cookies. . . .Yum. . . .I do bake a 'mean' oatmeal cookie. . . .Maybe I'll share the recipe one day. . . .

I draped the table with sheer fabric. . . .and pulled out the printed feed bags. . . .farmhouse style all the way.


Another thing I like to do that brightens the room even more is to add the crockery pieces I've collected--and used--over the years. . . .Since Summers are filled with canning and freezing, I replaced the black cast iron pots with bowls and crocks.




I still keep the little sign 'Simplify' where I'm reminded each day of my goal. . . .added another thought to it for the Summer. . . .

'Bloom Where You're Planted'

Don't you love that phrase?. . . .Speaks words of wisdom. . . .Our Summer keeping room is a daily reminder of it with Fred and flowers and lots of light. . . .







What's black and white and 'red' all over?. . . .besides our kitchen?
A Newspaper!!!!

Be watching next week for the Summer Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal, Part II. . . .
Til then, here's a sneak peak. . . .


. . .from my farmhouse kitchen to yours. . .


32 comments:

Stacey said...

Your kitchen and keeping room are beautiful. Everything is so homey and welcoming.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh it is just wonderful! Love the Keeping room!!

The Old Parsonage said...

Gorgeous!! Gorgeous!! Gorgeous!!

Oh please share the oatmeal cookie recipe - they are Mr OP's favorite!!

Cheers!
Leann

Anonymous said...

I love it! Your kitchen and keeping rooms are just so pretty. You've decorated them to perfection. Beautiful snaps too. I would enjoy this space so much.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Melanie said...

It is lovely! So inviting, what a great place to entertain friends while you cook! Can't wait to see the rest!

Unknown said...

I love the look and feel of the room. . . such a *happy place*.

I love the saying too. . . (bloom where you're planted) I have an old slate blackboard hanging on my patio that I wrote those very words on. . .

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring room. . . .

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

This is all so lovely, charming and perfect!
You have such talent and it shows in your decorating and picture styling.
Cindy

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I love your last photo, a great view of your room. The black with touches of deep pink are so bright and summery! Love your watermelon fest table settings!
Can't wait to see part two!

Dawn said...

It's just prefect. I love every inch of it. I am sharing on my FB page tomorrow for all to see.

Debby Ray said...

I absolutely LOVE the color scheme but especially all of the vintage pieces...which in your case, everything is! Beautiful, simply beautiful!

Debby

Anita Diaz said...

Oh it just looks fabulous!! Love the styling and feed sacks. I have a Yukon one like yours also. What a wonderful and cheery place to start the day!!

chateau chic said...

LOVE IT!!!! Everything! You really know how to decorate with so much charm!! Your keeping room looks so inviting...wish I lived close by.
Mary Alice

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You've created a functional and beautiful keeping room. I'd never want to leave!!

Unknown said...

Ahhh, so peaceful! Love your home so much!

Pam said...

Just Beautiful! I love your kitchen and keeping room, so light and summery. The feed sack pillows are so sweet and the white dishes and the bowls are beautiful. I love all of your beautiful photos. Makes you want to sit back and have an ice cold soda pop and cookie.
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Sam I Am...... said...

Dru, you have out done yourself! It looks like something out of a magazine and I'm sure once word gets out it will be featured in one! It's all gorgeous but I am in love with your floor! Did you do that yourself? Amazing! I can't wait to see the rest! I remember when it was empty and you were just starting on it. Great job!

ANNE said...

wow, what a super beautiful space! Love that first shot so much!!! and all of them, lovely home!

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh my...what a beautiful Summer kitchen. Love it!! Can't wait to see part 2.
hugs,
Cindy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh sweetie, I did know the answer to that joke. Are we dating ourselves? lol! As always your new look in the keeping room has me 'full of envy'. Hee-hee, that's something a neighbor said to me once. Seriously, simply stunning! We think alike, I did a watermelon post today.
hugs,
Jann

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It really is alovely room. I love black and white in a kitchen.

Simply Shelley said...

Just beautiful! I love the old pop bottles :) Blessings

Sarah said...

I'd love to spend time in this beautiful space. Your black and white floor rug over the wood floors make my heart skip a beat. Love your wicker and all the details on your table. The beautiful cabinets filled with yummy whites are gorgeous.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Your keeping room is the most beautiful pictures of any decorating I have seen in a long time. The colors of those flowers is amazing!! It is so great that you keep a neutral back ground and then these pops of color just shine! Love the tiny aprons, how cute it that? So happy to see your summer reveal, and looking forward to more pictures.
Bless you,
Susie

Debra@CommonGround said...

love it all and that floor is amazing!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Love the white with accents of red and black!

Unknown said...

I love your pretty farmhouse keeping room. I'm a fan of Windsor chairs, especially in black, and we probably have 13 but I would still not pass up more lol. The wicker seating around the fireplace is cozy and summer airy at the same time and I really like your broom and crockery collections. Thanks for sharing the lovely sunny photos.

SouthernHeart said...

Absolutely love the look and "feel" of the keeping room. Such a welcoming place! Thanks for sharing the photos...

Blessings,
Dianne
www.sweetjourneyhome.com

The Charm of Home said...

Just beautiful! Love the whole picture of the whole space. I am a lot colonial at heart too! So pretty!
Sherry

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is so sweet! It makes me wanna get in there and cook somthing. LOL!!! Great Job!!!

Pat said...

Farmer's Daughter,
Oh it truly is blackand white and red all over, dear one!!!
I love the light streaming through the windows!!!
Fred appears to be "keeping watch" over your "Keeping Room". . .what a great addition!!!
Love all the vintage accessories and the wooden box painted gray filled with dishes...I have one made by "Mr. Ed"...such fun to re~arrange with the Seasons here on the Prairie!!!
Thank you for sharing the make~over of your kitchen and Keeping Room with us!!!
I am quite smitten with your feed sack pillows!!!
Truly inspirational!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I just love everything you do! That floor is sure working out with style!

Art and Sand said...

If I was in your house, you would have a hard time keeping me out of that room. There is so much to look at. W O N D E R F U L ! ! !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...