Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Finally! A New Floor for the Living Room

Yes! There's a new floor on it's way for the living room!
I've been inspired. . .and it's  a 'have to' case. . .

The floor becomes background
SOURCE  Bright Bold Beautiful


South Shore Decorating Blog: In Good Taste - An Eclectic Collection of Simply Gorgeous Rooms
SOURCE South Shore Decorating

I know I've teased you for a long time--probably two years. . .
but. . .it's been hard giving up our vintage floor. . .I love the patina of the wood. . .
something you can't duplicate with new materials.
This past week has proven to me that no matter how painful. . .
the floor must be covered with a new one.

Small space living room dinning room combo
SOURCE Style at Home
 You see. . .the original floor of our manager's house is also the only floor--no subfloor. . .That's the way most tenant houses were built. . .We've suffered from winter to winter bundled up in coats and scarves at times (grin) just to keep the pretty floor. . .Last Winter John said, "No more!". . .I agreed--as long as it was cold. . . .Somehow it was harder to stick to the agreement during the warm Summer. . .(another grin). . .We've had a few cold and windy days lately. . .plus the unusual wet and humid Summer has caused a battle with mold and mildew coming up through the floor. . .I knew it was time. . .So we headed to Poplar Bluff, MO and I picked out a floor that will probably shock you. . .It's black.

Jamie and Josh's spring dining room
SOURCE Dear Lillie

Some of you will gasp at the thought of covering up the natural glow of our wood floors, especially with black. . .Some of you might cheer. . . Whatever your persuasion, I hope you'll give it a chance. . .just wait and see. . .It's a very bold move. . .but in the end I think it will be stunning. . .Remember that we have a black and white checkerboard floor in our kitchen and other touches of black there, too. . .This will tie the house together. . .


I had to think about it for a day or two. . .Checked out Pinterest. . .I decided to go for it.

The new flooring is wood. . .already painted black and sealed. . .I could tell that I was being bold with the choice because the owner was really glad to get rid of it. . .Did I tell you the deal he made? . . .88 cents per square foot! . . .Huh?. . .I'm serious. . .and that was AFTER my decision to buy it.


Gorgeous sitting area; love the gray - blue paint combined with the black and white patterned pillows
SOURCE Designed by Carla Ashton
At that price, we bought enough for the bedroom, too. . .the one off the living room. . .
making it an unbroken flow from one room to the other. . . .

black floors
SOURCE Remodelista.com

We have started in that bedroom since it gets the north wind. . .The weatherman is bringing us some very cold and windy weather this week. . .Then we'll move to the living room. . .Honestly, I can hardly wait to finish so that I can work some decorating magic. . .Most of the black floors I've seen are in a contemporary setting. . .but you know I'll be decorating in FARMHOUSE style. . .I'll keep you posted how things go. . .Wish us luck!. . .The house is such a mess that I'm hoping soon it will be. . .
 
SOURCE Fox Hollow Cottage

 ONCE AGAIN. . .


10 comments:

Debby Ray said...

Your old wood floors were beautiful but no doubt, these will be too!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

So so exciting! I think the black will go with your farmhouse style beautifully.
That must of been a hard decision to give up on the original floors, I know for me it would have been....

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I think it will be gorgeous. However, just be aware; (which I'm sure you are) that it will show pretty much every little thing. I have dark wood in my kitchen and I love it, but it does show the dust. But, what a statement!!
hugs,
Jann

srpprcrftr said...

Be glad you don't live where we do, the dust bowl. I could dust every hour and still have dust everywhere. We also have a very hairy, shedding dog, lol so I have job security all year cleaning up his hair everywhere. Have to stop in middle of any room with carpet to empty the dirt receptacle, really.
Your floors will be gorgeous to go with your wonderful home, love your style. Glad for you to be able to get enough for down stairs bedroom too. Enjoy your floors when you do get done, look forward to seeing what you do with decorating. Happy season

Sam I Am...... said...

You have such great vision I know it will be beautiful. I love black furniture except for the dust but with "swiffers" and the like I'm sure you won't have a problem with upkeep plus I have 2 dogs and a cat and keeping anything clean with them around is nigh onto impossible! LOL! The pictures are gorgeous so I know yours will be too. Yes, my feet are cold as we speak...I need to go turn up the furnace....what happened here in the South? LOL! Stay warm....can't wait to see your pictures!

Old Time Cindy said...

Go for it! You sure know how to blaze your own trail when it comes to decor. I would have never thought of black. Can't wait to 'see' it!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Since you need to cover your beautiful floor, I think you were right to go for something bold rather than trying to imitate what you have now.

Debra Howard said...

Wow they are all beautiful. I don't think I could pull off a black floor here in Texas. That light colored dirt would mean footprints everywhere. I bet yours is gorgeous with the farmhouse style. can't wait to see!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I truly hope you enjoy it. Brother has black floors and they're a bugger to keep clean 'cause every speck of dust shows. It looks very nice, though.

The Farmers Daughter said...

This came through email!"Good luck with your floor installation. I'm sure it will be gorgeous.
All the best,
Evelyn"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...