Saturday, April 14, 2012

How To Dress A "Her Crow" Scarecrow

Here at the farm, scarecrows enjoy EVERY season. . .
SPRING, SUMMER, FALL, WINTER.
They're not just for Fall anymore. . .

I call our scarecrows "Her Crows--
my term for a scarecrow with personality plus. . .

They've been showing up at our farm ever since we moved here in 2005.
They are lovely ladies to get to know. 

And, so easy to make. . .


Gather supplies: plastic pumpkin heads (I use the trick-or-treat baskets), burlap bag or material, scrap wood, discarded clothing, accessory possibilities, hammer, nails, long screws, washers, scissors, safety pins, string.


For a sitting Her Crow:
Select a thick, heavy board for the base.  Make a cross out of 2 x 4's and nail to base. Turn the plastic pumpkin head basket upside down and place on the top of the cross. Nail through the top (which is actually the bottom of the basket). Cover pumpkin with burlap and tie with a piece of string at the top and bottom.

Note: The washer and screw you see on the head is used to attach the hat. Place the hat on the head and position as you like. Use a large washer and a screw to attach to the pumpkin head, one on each side of the head. This step may be done now or at completion.


Begin to layer clothing onto your Her Crow. People have asked me how I decide what to dress them in? The answer is simple. . .Ask them what they want to wear. . .


Safety pin work gloves to the sleeves. 


And, continue with layers. . . .and layers. . . .and layers, if you want. There's no limit. And, no need to stuff. I've found they look much more natural without the stuffing. Use safety pins to position hands and arms where you want them.


Now, ask her where she wants to sit. . .
And, begin adding accessories, vines, flowers, whatever you like. . .














I think I'll name her "Sunshine"

"You are my Sunshine. . .my only Sunshine. . .
You make me happy. . .when skies are gray. . ."

Linking with:


 

16 comments:

Marie said...

so inspiring. . .i have to make one. . .

claudia w said...

Sushine is such a pretty her crow scarecrow. You are so talented!

Angie said...

what a great idea! thanks for the instructions, too. hubby will have to make the base, but i can do the rest.

rose said...

You amaze me with the ideas you come up with. . .love it. . .

Laurie said...

More photos PLEASE!

Peggy Meckling-Baker said...

So unbelievably adorable. I need to try something like this. How cute! I'm your latest follower and a fellow newbie. Found you through French Country Cottage. Hope you'll stop by and see me sometime.

Julie Marie said...

Oooh Sunshine is soo cute!... I just love your Her Crows!... going to attempt to make one... thanks for sharing... I found you by way of Debra's party today, xoxo Julie Marie

RaNae @EweCreekCottage said...

Hi That is the cutest thing ever u are so creative gonna start to follow you and came over from french country cottage thanks for sharing

Debra@CommonGround said...

this is so much fun. wow, she has a fabulous outfit, just too adorable. I love it!!! thanks for sharing her with us on Vintage Inspiration!

Donna Wilkes said...

I call them Garden Dwellers. Yours has a lot of personality. I have not made one in several years and has not thought about it until I saw your post. One summer our town had businesses display home made scarecrows in front of their stores - it was a tremendous success! Came over from Etcetorize.

Distressed Donna Down Home

Etcetorize said...

Well, that has to be the best dressed Scarecrow I've ever seen! She's adorable. Thank you so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week! (I have a monthly themed linky that started today too that this would fit into, think about linking up there too!)

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial, she is a beauty and I'm making her for sure!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I have got to add one to my garden!
Hugs,
Jann

Barbara F. said...

I'd love to make one. These are the most beautiful 'crows I've seen. xo

hron said...

I just recently "found" your awesome blog!!! What fun, what heart and what creativity!!!! Beautiful farmhouse decor and country style. I expecially enjoyed meeting "Sunshine," the fall garden lady and I hope to create a similar gal to greet friends as they pass the orchard on the driveway up to our farmhouse. The grand girls will LOVE IT!!!! Thank you so much for posting ... you are an inspiration!!!

Skirt rescuer said...

hi im a massive lover of skirts and dresses .. just want to know is the dress still around and can I buy it to rescue it from the eliments .. id buy regardless of condition I just want to rescue the dress wouldpay what you want pluss shipping thank bry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...