Thursday, October 31, 2013

There's a Wagon on Our Table!


A wagon on the table? Oh, My. . . .

Let me show you why this happened. . . .Look at this vintage photo my Dad (The Farmer) shot in 1950. . . .


Back in the day, farmers used all kinds of trailers to get their cotton to the gin. . . .Wooden wagons were often built at the farm shop. . . .I remember these wagons--since they stuck around well into the 1960s. . . .






When I spotted the little Vess wagon at a Missouri antique market, my mind immediately went to those wooden wagons from the past. . . .It looks so much like them, don't you think?

I loved it!. . . .I rarely buy anything that I don't look at the price first. . . .It has to be a good deal. . . .But, this wagon was coming home with me no matter the cost. . . . turned out it was on sale and I ended up spending very little. . . .Can't believe the seller no longer wanted such a cute wagon. . . .and well-made, too.

Fall décor for me might incorporate a few pumpkins and gourds. . . .but the majority of my Fall decorating is with Cotton. . . .After all, it's what we're all about. . . .And, as the Farmer's Daughter, my heart races at the sight of it. . . .Between you and me, spending time IN the fields, walking the rows of white, white, white is my favorite Fall thing to do. . . .Our cotton this year has been gorgeous. . . .


My one regret is that I didn't think ahead and collect enough Cotton to offer for sale at Our Old Country Store. . . .This would have been the perfect year to do that. . . .and I usually have requests for it. . . .

Alas, the fields were picked Monday and Tuesday. . . .No more Cotton for this year. . . .But, I will definitely make a note for next year. . . .


Now, let me ask you, is this not the perfect addition to our Farmhouse table?. . . .Feels like Fall to me. . . .

. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .

 
*********
 
If you'd like to see photos of the actual Cotton Pickin', click on:
at Facebook
 
And at Our Old Country Store, don't miss: 
 
 


16 comments:

Debby said...

first of all.....I love your banner photo.
I am in love with your wagon. I have an antique wagon in my living room. I actually think it is my favorite piece.
And the cotton.......I have been wanting to get some for a long time. Just didn't know where to look . It doesn't grow here. I think it is beautiful used in decorating esp. with whites and neutrals. I think it is amazing it grows like that.
Thanks for sharing.

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru,
This is great. I love that wagon and love that you are back posting. Missed you. Your new banner is gorgeous.
Kris

Cranberry Morning said...

I love it! And I have never ever seen a cotton boll in person - only read about them in books. That makes such a pretty autumn display!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

That is the perfect wagon!! I think it is perfect for you and your farm. Your Dad would love it, and how you use it :) You are so good to bless his memory!
Blessings friend,
Susie

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love your cotton wagon! So sweat that it has special meaning to you.

I certainly would be tempted to order a few cotton stalks for decorating.

Pamela Gordon said...

I just love your little wagon filled with cotton! How cute and perfect for your farmhouse. Blessings. Pam

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I love it! That is so perfect with the cotton in it!

Dawn said...

Yep, love the wagon too, and the cotton:) I think I need some of that.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Love that little wagon, filled with cotton and the cotton bales are really cute!

Unknown said...

Just as sweet as can be! Love it on your table!

Jan Hebert said...

I agree, I've never used cotton bolls to decorate but they look absolutely wonderful in your little wagon. I miss your blogging as well, nice to see you online again. I have been following you on Pinterest though - love what you pin there! I had thought to start incorporating the "coastal" look to my home but in my heart it is and always will be "country". Your blog and pins help to inspire that feeling again. Thank you for that...

cynthia lee designs said...

I love the wagon on your table!! The cotton sure is pretty!!
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

Hello Dru! How I love your beautiful little wagon full of cotton! I can just picture it decorated for every holiday imaginable!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Jo Ann said...

Dru, love your wagon all full of cotton, beautiful! Love looking at the cotton fields, memories! Having fun decorating with mine!! :) Glad to see you back.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, that picture reminded me of the smell of warm cotton, sitting in the sun. Plopping down on top of the load, smelling that sweet smell and getting pricked occasionally by part of a burr left in. Thanks for the memories.

Carolyn said...

Love, love, love this! I just found your blog today and can't wait to read the entire thing. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...