Friday, August 24, 2018

Farm Animals in the Kitchen

Maybe I have gone a little overboard but it seems everywhere I turn there are barnyard critters--the inanimate kind--to collect. . .and it's sure been fun to do just that. . . Afterall, this IS a farmhouse with a farmyard filled with barns and outbuildings. . .It's true. . .the only animal stock we have is Little Bit, the rescued cat who lives in--and thinks she owns--John's workshop. . .She roams the barns and buildings all day but at 4:00, she's ready for her treat and shows up on schedule. . .John trained her from a kitten to expect a treat at 4:00, so that he can lock her in the shop overnight. . .We have several coyotes roaming around that would love to have HER as a treat. . .  How she knows the time, I have no idea. . .but she never fails.
Other than Little Bit, we have no other domesticated animals. . .We do have Sissy and Fred, the barn owls. . .And then there's Faith. . .the dove I nursed back to health a couple of years ago. . .But even though they fly around and 'talk' to us, they are still wild. . .and take care of themselves. . .
It wasn't always this way. . .There were mules, cows, horses, pigs, oxen, and chickens filling the two barns and the chicken coop. . .and roaming around a large pasture where we now grow our cotton. . .

I sort of miss all the animals of my childhood but not enough to own any now. . .Collecting tin, metal and wood ones are fine with me. . .
I HAVE begun staging other areas of the house for the COUNTRY RUSTIC magazine photo shoot in October. . .We have changed a few things. . .are painting a lot. . .and as I dig out accessories, I'm playing with how to display them. . .So I may share a few quick photos with you along the way, maybe without much of a story, but with lots of ideas. . .The house often looks different in photos than in the actual setting. . .As they say in the interior decorating realm. . .I'll be auditioning them to you. . .

As a side note. . .Yes, it HAS been a long time since I LAST blogged. . .but this Summer has been a whirlwind of unexpected happenings. . .We've had rain, wind, floods. . .and a drought. . .and another flood. . .Then out of the clear blue sky, the opportunity to buy a weekend home in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri popped up. . .but more about that later. . .And next was a mammogram that concerned the doctors. . .and more tests. . .ending with three biopsies. . .Ouch. . .We didn't breath for about a month while that was going on and were all relieved when the biopsies were non-cancerous tissue. . .I will be followed with a mammogram every six months for a while, though. . .I can deal with that. . .
Which brings me to the real reason I'm telling you my story. . .I started to keep it to myself but then decided . ."No. . .Others need to be encouraged". . .to get those mammograms done. . .I am now a believer. . .Radiologists have come a very long way in the last few years in their ability to detect changes which might be pre-cancerous or early cancer. . .In my case, there was NO MASS to see. . .There were only some indicators that there might be a problem. . .Had cancer been found, it would have been so early that the chance of cure was 97%. . .I looked at my own x-rays and believe me, there was nothing there for the untrained eye to see. . .Scary. . .But you sure won't catch me ignoring another mammogram!!!!!!. . .I'll be there with bells on. . .
How about you? . .Please don't ignore having a mammogram done. . .Don't wait until you can feel a lump. . .It's the first step and best detection of very early cancer. . .Your family and friends need you. . .Take care of yourself. . .

from: women welfare foundation
Okay. . .I'll get off my soap box. . .
And, I'll be back soon with snapshots of our projects. . .
Sorry I've been gone so long. . .
The Summer went way too fast. . .



2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

I do love all you little farm animals, and that is the best kind to have...lots less work. Sometimes I wonder why I keep two goats, four rabbits, guineas, chickens, and ducks. It's a job! You have such a beautiful place. I'm so happy and thankful that your biopsies came back cancer free.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

That has been a busy summer for you! Whew! So glad you are doing good. Can't wait to hear more about your weekend home! That sounds fun! And another house to decorate!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...