Monday, August 19, 2013

Two Prims and a Vintage Grain Mill


Last week the weather was absolutely beautiful. . . .Our temps dipped down in the 50s at night. . . .The days were cool with a northern breeze. . . .almost like Fall. . . .very unusual for the Delta in August. . . .Normally, August brings the hottest temps. . . .with heat indexes over 100.

I took the opportunity to do more clean-out. . . .ended up in the breezeway for an entire day. . . .where it occurred to me that I'd never shared two of our Prims with you.

You've seen them before in the background. . . .Now for a closer look. . . .a Prim Dry Sink and a Crock Shelf. . . .


I'm not sure how old the dry sink is. . . .but, it's been around for at least 100 years I'd think. . . ."She" was one of our first purchases when we moved back to the Delta from Virginia. . . .for only $50. . . .In Virginia we'd sure have to pay much, much more!

I like the fact that we bought her here in the Delta. . . .and was able to save her from the dumpster. . . .Yes, that's what I said. . . .the dumpster. . . .If we hadn't bought her, the owner said she was going to the dump. . . .In fact, the owner wanted to give her to us. . . .but, we insisted on paying something.

Our dry sink is definitely a prim, with all the dings and patina of a 100+ years of use. . . . the door sags. . . .the original closure is missing a part. . . .the hinges squeak when you open the door. . . .Lots of personality. . . .I love it!



e


The Prim Crock Shelf was bought around the same time. . . .another piece from the Delta. . . .Can't you imagine this sitting on the back porch of an early farmhouse?


Simple construction, open shelves, and multiple colors of paint. . . .It's held my crock collection for many years. . . .I do use them, too. . . .Can't run a farmhouse without crocks!




The shelves are narrow enough that it fits perfectly behind the door. . . .I think I paid $20 for it. . . .Another great find.


The newest addition to the mix is this rather large Vintage Grain Mill. . . .After eight years sitting in John's shop to be cleaned, it has finally found it's home. . . .It was a house-warming gift from a friend--so many years back that I'd almost forgotten about it. . . .I spotted it in the farm shop when I was looking for the Thrifty Farmhouse Cupboard.

Isn't it a beauty?


John gave it a thorough cleaning and oiling. . . .The paint is original. . . .The patina is wonderful--once all the grease and grime came off. . . .We weren't sure what we'd find. . . .The color is almost a perfect match to the dry sink. . . .It was meant to be. . . .

Our Two Prims are working pieces. . . .not just for show. . . .In the Summer, the dry sink holds enamelware, garden gloves, tools, jars--whatever we need to grab quickly on our way out the door. . .  .





 
The crock shelf is not as full as in the Winter, since I'm using much of the pottery for processing fresh garden veggies and fruit. . . .A few hold dried herbs and flowers. . . .

Before you ask about the numerous jugs, no--we don't make our own whiskey or spirits of any kind. . . .although John's threatened to try his hand at Grandmother's Muskidine Wine! . . .Strictly medicinal, you know. . . .




By the way, do you know what a 'breezeway' is? It's an enclosed porch that connects two structures. . . .In our case, the house and the garage. . . .Traditionally, windows and doors were placed on both outside walls and opened in the summertime to 'catch the breeze'. . . .I'm not sure if that term is used anymore. . . .Since our farmhouse was built in 1930, we chose to call our back porch the 'breezeway'. . . .

I can remember my Grandmother sitting in the breezeway of her home, churning butter and looking at a Sears Roebuck catalog. . . .She kept with the old ways for much of my childhood. . . .It was much easier and convenient to buy butter at the grocery. . . .but, she said it wasn't the same.


I'd show you the rest of the breezeway if it weren't in such a mess. . . .One thing I love about blogging--finished projects are all you see. . . .In a couple of months--when we begin to use the open hearth fireplace--the wonderful wicker settee and chair will be moved out here. . . .Maybe then I'll give you a peek at the rest of the room. . . .(grin). . . .It's one of my favorite places. . . .

But, Fall is some time off for us. . . .The temps will soar again this week. . . .and we'll be sweating under the sun. . . .Wish I could bottle some of that heat and use it in the Winter! . . .For better or worse, though, I do love Summer in the Delta. . . .

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .


15 comments:

Art and Sand said...

Oh, the lovely pieces you have. The dry sink and its color are wonderful and the mill is such fun on the sink.

I saw a dry sink for our entry that didn't cost an arm and a leg - just a few fingers, but we got a puppy instead and her crate is presently the entry decor. That will change before too long and hopefully I can find another dry sink or maybe it will still be in the antique shop.

Mary Ann said...

I love the color of the sink, and it matches so well with the grain mill.. it's a pleasure to see!

Unknown said...

Your prim pieces are lovely and have the patina that only time and use can create. I love that the two pieces are so close in colour. That is quite an impressive collection of crocks. I found two just recently.

Unknown said...

I love it ALL Dru. . .I was sure missin your usual Sunday post. . . but it looks like you were busy so I'll let it go. . .

We've had some unseasonably low temps here in Montana as well. . .I am anxiously awaiting fall. . . it's my fav of the 4seasons, however it can be short lived here, winters can come as early as September and last clean thru April. . .

PS I knew what a breeze way is. . . love em and wish I had one. .

Have a good week.

Anita Diaz said...

Love those pieces and the paint on them is so wonderful! What a great collection of pottery and enamelware too:-) I have a corn grinder here that was my grandfather's but we use it outside to grind corn for our chickens just as he did. Love the color on yours!!

Ann said...

Every picture is delightful!!!The dry sink a treasure for sure and the color is wonderful. A breezeway is such a nice part of any home, I can just imagine in a farm house how great those breezes would be.
Ann

Dawn said...

What a beauty you have there. Great find and the color is perfect.

Anne said...

What beautiful pieces! Yes I do remember that term...breezeway.I think my Grandmother used to say that!
xx
Anne

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Dru,
I remember a breezeway. We had one on my grandma's house on the farm in Michigan. I love your dry sink and the grain mill. Beautiful pieces. Love all your pottery too.
Kris

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your old dry sink. It's a great colour and patina. You have some wonderful old crocks too. I like the idea of a breezeway on a house. Your's gets a lot of use too.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your posts! You have the most interesting items! The old wash pan holding the clothespins reminds me of home when I was a child. My mother stuck to the old ways too. Miss her!! Beautiful post!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the dry sink and the grain mill. What a wonderful collection of crocks...most of mine are out just for looks, but I do use a few of them.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

Love the beautiful color of the dry sink and grain mill. The crocks are wonderful!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love your dry sink and the story behind it. It amazes me what some folks will throw out.
blessings, jill

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

What lovely treasures you have!! And a wonderful place to display them. I'm envious ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...