Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Coke Case & Cola Bottles--Farmhouse Style








Coke Case and Cola bottles. . . .What could say "Farmhouse" better?


Summertime is coming to the kitchen/keeping room. I've been stuck in the house so much with vertigo that I need a change in my surroundings. . . .The living room has come to a stand still since I'm not safe on a ladder. It's the pits. . . .I need to be creative!



I know I've said this before. . . .but, I'd like to say it again. . . .True Farmhouse Style only takes a "make-do" attitude. . . .Use what you have. . . .Make everything multipurpose. . . .Let's face it. . . .Though gratifying, farming has never been a glamorous occupation. . . .and neither were the farmhouses. . . .They  had to be functional, with little money left over for frills. . . .That didn't mean the ladies of the house didn't decorate. . . .They did. . . .We DO. . . .but, instead of going to a shopping mall, I visit storage buildings and pantry shelves. . . .yard sales and thrift stores. . . .

Our barns are filled with "tons" of cola bottles--mostly from the 70s-80s--Cokes and Pepsi--some Dr. Peppers. . . .Now and then I find a few of the smaller, older ones. . . .They're tough to clean, since there's 40 years of dust, dirt and grime. . . .Yes, it would have been much easier to just go buy one at $5--or more. . . .But, remember, I'm in a make-do attitude. . . .When I found the old Coke case at a yard sale--already painted--I knew I had to visit the bottle pile. . . .I grabbed a few of the cleaner ones and headed for the house. . . .


The thing I didn't realize was. . . .our 70s cola bottles wouldn't fit into the cases's cubbyholes!
They were mostly king size. . . .The original colas were much smaller. . . .Who knew? Did you?

Back to the barn. . . .and the bottle pile. . . .

On my way, I grabbed some Queen Anne's Lace. . . .my favorite summer wildflower. . . .

From the pantry, a chicken or two (very "farmhouse"). . . .A piece of faded cotton feed sack. . . .






I'm loving it!!!!!. . . .Like I said. . . .Farmhouse Style, Plain & Simple. . . .Making do.
Now that I'm inspired, I'm ready to tackle the rest of the room!. . . . More Coke cases?. . . .More Cola bottles?. . . .of course!!!!

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . 

$1 Coke Case--Yard Sale
Cola bottles--Free
Queen Anne's Lace--Free
Black & White Rag Rug--Yard Sale years ago
$2 Chick and Rooster--Goodwill
$1 Chicken Plates--Goodwill
Moss--???
"Eggs"--Free (from artificial grapes)


Sharing this post with: * Tweak It Tuesday * Feathered Nest Friday * Home Sweet Home * Be Inspired  * Simple & Sweet Fridays * Share Your Cup Tuesday

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your photos. When I was growing up in the late fifties I was old enough to walk to the neighborhood mom and pop grocery and buy a small Coke or Pepsi or alternate cold drink (orange, grape, etc flavored) from the drink machine for 10 cents. We would stand there and drink it and hang out. The grocery owner and wife were great with us kids. The drinks were kept cold by being submerged in icy water and slid along narrow tracks to remove from the machine. I could go on and on about those days. Such fun memories.

Mary Ann said...

I think this is lovely, and perfect farmhouse style! I pinned it!

pbrenner said...

Very pretty ... I appreciate seeing ways to have what I want (pretty things, nicely displayed) without having to accumulate more stuff. I am really enjoying the Plain and Simple Farmhouse look, thank you!

Patty

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Absolutely love it! I have an old Vernor's bottle. Yes, portions were smaller then...you did a fantastic job on the centerpiece.

Pam said...

Beautiful! Isn't it amazing how some of the simplest things are some of the prettiest. I love Queen Anne's Lace too, so pretty like lace. I've been digging through my things, got out all my chickens and roosters I had packed away.
I hope you are feeling better.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Little Susie Home Maker said...

You just have the greatest knack at pulling things together. I am always so please by the inspiration that you give when I visit your blog. I wish you would get over the dizzies. Glad you are still managing to keep busy and happy.
Blessings,
Susie

Hayu Maselli said...

I love your coke case set photo with those wild flower, look so farmy.
have a great week
hugs

Anita Diaz said...

Love, love, love love!! I found an old 12-bottle metal coke carrier from my grandfather's store that I have been using in the same way. You are so right about the
"make-do" attitude...definitely what we do around here and certainly my parents and grandparents did. What a beautiful vignette, and I love the feedsack pillow I see to:-)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I love the creativeness of the make do farm house style!

Junkchiccottage said...

Love this Dru. The centerpiece is so sweet. I love your old pop bottles. Glad to hear you are doing better.
Kris

chateau chic said...

LOVE those old coke bottles, Dru!!! Any for sale by any chance?
Mary Alice

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it!! Great idea to make do with what you already have. Love the Farmhouse Style, Plain & Simple.
hugs,
Cindy

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Your photos are beautiful...and I love your take on farmhouse style!

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm so sorry you're suffering from Vertigo! That's not fun I'm sure. However, you did get very creative with the old pop bottles and wooden holder. I love it! I have a few old pop bottles here and must put them on display for a while. I like to in summer to remind one of the 'good old days'. :) Blessings, Pamela

Suzanne said...

Everything looks lovely! I love the old coke bottles. At the dollar store you can get bottle brush cleaners which do a fine job of cleaning out the dust.

Have you ever read When Queens Ride By by Agnes Sligh Turnbull? It's a story of a very discouraged farmer wife back in the day. I have continued her story here:

http://whenqueensrideby.blogspot.com/

The original is here:

http://whenqueensrideby.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-queens-ride-bythe-beginning.html


If you like the old time farm stories you might like this one:-)

Blessings,

Suzanne

Old Time Cindy said...

Dru,
Only you can arrange a pretty farmhouse vignette while the room is spinning around you! You're crazy, girl!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Diane said...

I agree with you that farmhouse style is making do with what you have and you have so many things! Love the coke case and all the vintage pop bottles. Simple things beautifully displayed are the best!

Sunny C. said...

Hey Dru; Your Old Bottle and Coke box are Beautiful. I sure do wish that I could go "Shopping" outside at your place!!!!
Your Photo's are always so Lovely, and each one makes me smile and I want to make things!!!!
Thank-You so much for sharing :-)

andrea@townandprairie said...

Great eye for the photographic image!

Sarah said...

Love your "make do" attitude. We all need to do more of that. My grandmother always said, " Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." ;-)
Your vignette is lovely!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Great photos as usual. I love old soda bottles and crates.

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! I have an old Coke case and, you're right, the holes are really small, but I found the small San Pellegrino bottles fit . . . and they're blue!

I love that your box is painted white. I don't know if I can do that with mine without lowering value. I would sure like it better in white though.

Thanks so much for sharing,
Patti

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Hi there....ok so I have NO idea how I found you but I am so glad I did...what a pretty, refreshing look you have here...going to poke around some more..all the best,Chrissy

Donna Wilkes said...

Love the Queen Anne's lace in the soda bottles. We live about 20 miles from the area where it grows wild. I go and take seed pods from the side of the road to bring home and plant. I could never paint a soda crate, but would buy one in a skinny minute!

Simply Shelley said...

That's my kinda decorating...love it all....blessings

Unknown said...

I love, love your vignette. I specially love the bottles with the Queen Anne's lace, so beautiful.
I remember the first time I saw a real vintage Coke bottle they are very small, but darling.
Visiting from Common Ground.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

I always love seeing your photos. Like looking through a favorite magazine. You certainly have the farmhouse touch. A real inspiration.

EnchantedBella said...

I love the farm house look. Your table looks wonderful. I have some old cola bottles. I should use them. Thanks for the idea.
Rebecca

Art and Sand said...

Like you, I'm lovin' it.

Simple, sweet, perfect.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Lovin it too Dru! The Cola bottle is really unique. Haven't seen one like it before. I have an old one, but it's all clear green glass. Love all three of the bottles filled with Queen Anne's Lace. Vertigo is terrible. My FIL had it a few years ago. He is not a complainer and it was really hard on him. Hope you get feeling better soon! Almost ready to reveal my kitchen. Thinking is kind of a mixture between farmhouse and cottage. I wanted to use what I had and that's how it turned out. Need to make a curtain and then I'll post it. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very pretty! You're lucky to have a barn full of cola crates!

The Charm of Home said...

Looks great. I remember going to the movies with soda bottle caps. What a great look for so little money. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
Sherry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...