Wednesday, April 17, 2013

An Instant Touch of Nostalgia


It's feeling like Summer here. . . .85 degrees yesterday and the sun was shining! 
The first thing I did was race to storage and grab a few fans. . . .

I've found one of the easiest ways to add a touch of nostalgia and comfort to any setting is a vintage table top fan. . . .preferably an oscillating one. . . .They are the best and so practical, too. . . .Ceiling fans are fine but they don't give the same feel to a room that the old beauties do. . . .

I'm lucky that my family didn't throw their fans away. . . .Normally, anything vintage is the first thing out the door. . . .I found several in my parents and aunts attics when we were preparing for an estate sale. . . .None of them went in the sale.

They were pretty dirty and needed oiling. . . .Fortunately, John loves tinkering with them. . . . They were ready to use  in no time. . . .





The General Electric is special to me. . .It provided many cool nights in my bedroom when I was growing up. . . .As I removed its winter cover, I was instantly reminded of times past. . . .good times. . . .

The old fans, like so many other vintage pieces, are beginning to get scarce. . . .but, so worth it to buy if you happen upon one . . . .


With a charming framed rose print in the background, I decided to only add a few pieces to the vignette. . . .Pink long stem roses. . . .A favorite china dog. . . .
I didn't notice until I took the photos how sad this little dog looked!. . . .Maybe he doesn't look sad but distinguished? 


A painted  lamp completes the vignette. . . .
Plain & Simple with a Cottage touch. . . .Just tweaking "Cottage" down a little. . . .


. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .


21 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your old fan! I don't think we ever had a fan in our house when growing up. Strange. I remember hot sultry nights in our second floor flat and barely a breeze coming in the windows. Now I live in the country and enjoy the nice breeze blowing in and sometimes we use a fan to cool us, but that is rare. Your dog rounds out this sweet vignette. Hugs, Pamela

Unknown said...

That's one sexy looking fan ( yes - fans can be sexy in my world )
Love it!
XOX

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Love that fan! It's so nice that you had access to them in many relatives attics. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced one. Have a great week! ~ Jamie

Anonymous said...

Your fan looks so sweet and love the pretty vignette too!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Okio B Designs said...

I wish it was 85 degrees here! I'll take it! I picked up a similar fan last year at a garage sale for $5 and I love it. It's scary though when you think about all the little hands and fingers that could get in there. Thankfully, I just use mine for show!

Jeanine

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the old fan!! I think the white dog is adorable!! I've been looking around the house for some country whites to share this weekend.
hugs,
Cindy

Old Time Cindy said...

Of course, I like your GE fan and vignette. My own favorite fan is a small black GE. My grandmother worked at a GE plant for years. See ya Friday!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I love vintage fans! I have three and would not pass up another if I happened across one. Love your sweet pooch and the fan, well let's just say, I'm a big fan!
hugs,
Jann
p.s. random question. I ususally know just what I want, but having trouble deciding on hardware. For the doors and cupboards. I picked brushed nickel for the cupboards. They accidently hung all of my basement doors into all rooms with oil rubbed bronze hinges. Kind of liking how they look. Do I mix finishes. Which is what they did in my upstairs. Swith to all rubbed bronze? Or make them change all to brushed nickel? Decisions, decisions, decisions. Which is more farmstyle?

Barbara Jean said...

I love old fans. Only have about 6 of them in my little store. =)

blessings
barb

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Love that fan! It looks gorgeous sitting there in your vignette!

Pam said...

The fan looks great! I remember fans like that. I have seen them at yard sales and thrift shops.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

Love the Old fan ... We have an old one like yours just in brown .. and every summer it comes out ....

Hey glad to see the warm weather has headed your way ..but gosh it went from cold to hot with no inbetween now didn't it..

Robin Johnson said...

Your so right, adding a vintage fan is always a delightul addition.

Crystelle Boutique said...

the fan is fabulous!!! What a great find... :)

hugs x
Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

foreverdecorating said...

You can't go wrong with rose prints or paintings and old fans. Adore

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

I love an old fan, wish I didn't have to worry about little grands fingers..... so I guess I have to stick with the safe kind.
Love the Rose painting! thanks for sharing,
Cheryl
zany-mayd.blogspot.com

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love the old fans. Someday I hope to find one. Yours looks in great shape. I like your rose picture too!

Hugs,
Deborah

sandy said...

Love the vintage fans! I must get one somehow! Lovely photos!

Mimi said...

Love that cool black fan. No pun intended. Looks great.

My Dream Canvas said...

I adore that fan!! What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Have a great week.

Dawn said...

Love your fan, I have never tried to oil mine, it is noisy so maybe I should. Thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing at the Cabin:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...