Monday, May 6, 2013

A $2 Ten Minute Slipcover




How about a quick and easy slipcover for Spring and Summer?
This one is so easy and fast. . . .It takes no time to put together. . . .I came up with the idea while shopping a Goodwill Friday in Jackson, TN. . . .All green tags were half price. . . .I spied a sheer, stripped curtain with a green tag and headed right for it. . . . Slipcovers have been on my mind ever since the post Farmhouse Chic Slipcovers. . . .thinking along the line of sheers so that the chair could still be seen through the fabric. . . .giving an airy, summery look to our Garden Style Bath. . . .


The panel was $2 with the discount. . . .I couldn't buy fabric for that!

I wanted things Plain & Simple, so I chose only three basics for the slipcover--a chair, a sheer curtain, and cotton tape. . . .The pleater tape was thrifted a couple of months ago. . . .not to pleat drapes. . . .to use with my crafts. . . .There was yards and yards of it. . . .




I basically wrapped the chair like a package, using straight pins and safety pins to hold all in place. . . .


And, utilized the cotton tape to cover the pins, and for a decorative tie. . . .knotted. . . .with streamers falling down to the side. . . .




Gathering the excess fabric to the back, a bow added a bit of "Farmhouse Chic" to the Plain & Simple. . . .


A vintage lace tablecloth laid across the chair's seat. . . .easily removed if I want.


Ten minutes later, it was done!

John kidded that it's too fancy for a farmhouse. . . .No, it's not! I told him!--with a laugh. . . .

A man's home may be his castle but a woman's home is her individual style expressed. . . .Women, no matter what the era, strive to make their homes comfortable and pretty for their family. . . .as well as for themselves. . . .It's a sweetness we add to life. . .


This little slipcovered chair makes me smile when I walk into the room. . . .John, too. . . .but he'd never admit it. . . .

Once again, thrifting has proved to be a good thing.


. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .

26 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

I like the simplicity in the making of this sweet look...very pretty. Unfortunately, I am limited in using sheer fabric due to Kit Kat. Will your Boo leave it alone?
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Jen said...

This is a GREAT IDEA...
It would be neat for a 'shabby chic,' or 'rustic wedding,' with lace curtain panels and burlap sashes too...

Great way to change the look of a chair for a minimal cost...

Have a Beautiful Day today~!
Jen @ Lace Crazy
=)

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh La La this is pretty. I love your saying "A man's home may be his castle but a woman's home is her individual style expressed. . . ." I get comments sometimes about my cottage white ruffle home and having a fire chief as my hubby. He is so great to let me decorate in my style and he is as manly as they get!!! Love that about him. I just cannot touch his shed or the garage!!!! Man Caves no white ruffles allowed!!!! Have a great week.
Kris

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Only $2?! I can't believe it! The chair is so cute and looks really expensive! What a great job :)

PS - Thanks for checking out my feature over on Cindy's blog and for leaving the sweet comment!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Very pretty. The vintage tablecloth is stunning! I love the idea of a sheer slip cover. It certainly does make it look expensive!

Thanks for sharing your decorating tips! Always inspiring.

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

So pretty! The sheer panel looks amazing. Just perfect for the shabby dreamy look. Great photos! So clever. Now I'll be looking differently at curtains when I am out thrifting, etc!
Karen

cynthia lee designs said...

So very pretty!! The little slipcovered chair makes me smile too.
hugs,
Cindy

Pamela Gordon said...

This chair cover is really pretty and feminine looking. You are so clever to figure that out and have it done so fast! Very sweet. Hugs, Pam

The Boston Lady said...

This is inspired AND thrifty! Love the look and it would also look great in a wedding vignette as well. I just had to comment! Ann

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

The $2 slipcover looks like a million bucks!

Unknown said...

Very pretty and a great idea.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, what a find and I love your clever way of making the chair cover. Love the sheerness of the panel! I just bought a book with some fun ideas to cover chairs and other darling projects. Certainly couldn't begin to do it for what you paid!
hugs,
Jann

Maureen Wyatt said...

I look at everything in the thrift store as a source of fabric, wood, metal, etc. It's cheaper to buy a finished shelf than a rough board. This sweet, little chair will have me eyeing sheers as slipcovers now!

Down Blueberry Lane said...

I would have never thought of this. Thanks for the great DIY idea. So much better then sewing :)
I just love your bathroom!!

Donna Wilkes said...

Such a simple but beautiful way to slipcover a hard chair to soften the lines of it. I wish I had not just taken a sack full of sheers to the thrift shop. Maybe I can buy them back :>)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh...I LOVE your thrifty slipcover and would love to have you share it at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY party...I'm sure it will be a big hit!

Blessings,
Linda

Dawn said...

Thank you for sharing at the Caibn's "BUDGET DECORATING PARTY", I so can not believe you did this for $2. It looks fabulous.

Pam said...

Wow, your chair looks absolutely elegant! It's so much fun to find items and repurpose!
I found the neatest show on HGTV called Junk Gypsies. It's awesome the things they put together.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Jaybird said...

Beautiful slipcover!! You did a wonderful job!
Just tell Mr. John that "A man's home is his castle, until the queen arrives". ;^)
Blessings to you both,
J

My Dream Canvas said...

So so pretty!! I am visiting you via Feathered Nest Friday. These images are stunning. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

Leslie @ Lamberts Lately said...

What a great idea! This would be perfect to link up to my "Create It Thursday" post here! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-1.html

Debra@CommonGround said...

so so pretty! thanks so much for sharing this great idea that's so simple!! Even "farmhouses" love pretty!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is such a fabulous creative idea. I love it and your pictures are stunning. I host a party called Inspire Me Tuesday and it goes live every Monday evening. I would love for you to link up any of your projects. www.astrollthrulife.net
Hugs, Marty

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Dru, Such a great idea and the slipcover turned out so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays.


Take Care,
Jody

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Dru, Forgot to tell you you'll be featured this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Congrats!

Jody

JP said...

My kinda country...simple, sweet, and no sew! Country Elegance!
Just finished adding some "no sew" ruffled accents to my couch pillows...easy easy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...