Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Part II--Summer Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal


Lots of crocks, cola cases, galvanized buckets, white cotton bagging, black and white check, touches of red. . . .That's what our Summer Farmhouse Kitchen is made of. . . .


Last week I shared with you our Keeping Room in Summer Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal-Part I. . . .The Keeping Room and Kitchen are together in a long and open 24' room. . . .Each has it's own function. . . .I think we know how the kitchen is used. . . .the Keeping Room is the dining/sitting/open hearth family area. . . .Be sure to see that post if you missed it. . . . .Today, we're off to the other end. . . .

It's a joy to work in our farmhouse kitchen. . . .a real joy.


I love the huge window at the sink, filling the room with light even on cloudy days. . . .There's nothing this farmer's daughter likes any more than looking out over a field of white cotton blossoms--unless it's a field of white, fluffy cotton. . . .Each day seems to bring more. . . .pretty white blooms that will later turn red. . . .I can almost smell them through the window. . . .




Light from that window flows into the room and fills every little nook and cranny. . . .Rarely do I need additional lighting during the day. . . .

There are no overhead cabinets in this kitchen--a choice I made once the lower ones were installed. . . .I enjoyed the openness so much, that I didn't want to change it. . . .Extra cabinets would take away from the natural light that I love so much.

I have to come up with some innovative storage, though. . . .Because the room is so large and open, it's easy to add large crocks on the countertops. . . .In a smaller kitchen this # 8 might be a little large, but here the larger items work just fine. . . .I hide rice, beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds, bread, crackers here--carrying on the color scheme with a black and white dollar store towel as a cover for the #8 and a vintage bread board for the #3. . . .A large glass jar holds plenty of napkins, handy for meals and snacks.


I try to keep clutter to a minimum, especially close to the stove. . . .The apartment size Westinghouse dates back to the early 40s. . . .and bakes like a dream. . . .large enough oven to cook a full size turkey. . . .with room to spare. . . .






 
Sandwiched between two windows, there's plenty of light to the left for what I call the breakfast area. . . .This is where John perks his coffee, mixes his oatmeal, or grabs a bowl of cereal each morning. . . .The percolator is hidden in the large crock on the left. . . .sugar in the smaller one. . . .coffee filters in a small graniteware colender.


I visited Our Old Country Store and couldn't resist bringing back the vintage pamphlet display. . . .filled it with my own mix of favorites and information that's handy for summer cooking and canning. . . .It's saved me many steps.

Don't you love the 40s Scotty dog peeking over one of the phamplets? . . . .His brother is in a lower slot. . . .I've kept Daddy's grade school photo, ca. 1930, in this kitchen from it's beginning. . . .wouldn't be our kitchen without him. . . .I think John talks to him every now and then, too. . . .There's something comforting about it. . . .




For me, there are two favorite work areas. . . .The lower half of a Hoosier at the center island is a wonderful place to prepare meals and visit with friends and family at the same time. . . .I try to keep it simple here, too. . . .It only takes a minute to move the 7-Up case--filled with plates, napkins, and silverware--out of the way.


Boo (my feline companion) often sits on the vintage metal stool to watch. . . .That's as close as I let him get to the food. . . .He loves veggies, so I have to keep an eye on him. . . .




The second favorite work area is at the baker's cabinet. . . .


Last Spring, I was determined to replace the baker's cabinet with a Hoosier. . . .with no success. . . .I had in mind the one I wanted--never found it. . . .John says he'll build me one soon--just like I want. . . .We already have most of the parts and pieces. . . .In the meantime, I've grown fond of this older cabinet again. . . .Once I brightened it up with white runners and vintage lace, I rather like the look. . . .








Canning jars are a must in the Summer. . . .We've already prepared ten gallons of plums from our trees, twenty-five pints of blueberries, and who knows how many strawberries--some for jams, the rest into the freezer for good winter eating. . . .Next up are apples, figs, kraut, tomatoes, chow-chow, pickles, pumpkin, squash. . . .Makes your mouth water, doesn't it?


Below, more crocks hold freezer containers and items used in canning. . . black and white dollar store towels keep everything dust free. . . .


The fridge hides behind this prim, whitewashed barn door. . . .
Once used for picking cotton, the vintage baskets above provide more storage. . . .

Here's the view from the fridge. . . .


You can see how everything ties in together using a basic color scheme for the entire room.

We built our kitchen to be the bright spot of the house. . . .It's 'hearth and home' at it's best. . . .Because it turned out so well, I'm planning the same white with touches of black, farmhouse primitives and pops of color in the living room. . . .It will be so nice to tie the two together in that way. . . .helps the flow of things from one room to the other. . . .Why spoil a good thing, anyway?


Hope you've enjoyed visiting our Summer Farmhouse Kitchen/Keeping Room. . . .We've certainly enjoyed it this year. . . .Fall isn't far off, when we'll have to prepare the room for the Winter. . . .uncover the open hearth fireplace for those chilly mornings. . . .but, we have a couple of months of Summer to enjoy first. . . .Using neutrals as background, it's one room that is easy to change with the seasons.

If you'd like to see more: 

. . .from my farmhouse kitchen to yours. . .



43 comments:

chateau chic said...

CHARMING!!!!! You have such a warm and inviting kitchen with all of your Wonderful vintage goodness. The kind of place I'd love to hang out and watch you cook!! :-)
Mary Alice

ANNE said...

so so beautiful! I adore your kitchen (I could do without the rat though... ewwwwwwwww even a fake one!)

lol

xox

Anita Diaz said...

Oh my goodness is all I can say:-) Everything down to the last detail is just perfect. I love this so much, and it is SO refreshing because of its authenticity. Love your sink and countertops...we are getting ready to make counters out of old wormy chestnut and I just chose a drop in white sink, so I was excited to see yours. Your floors are so fabulous too. Well, I love it all.

pballard said...

I adore your space. Oh and that little mouse is so stinkin cute!

Stacey said...

Love it all! It's a REAL country kitchen. The way you've hung your cast iron on the wall is so eye catching and handy. Love the pamphlet display too. That's something you don't see in everybody's kitchen and it's fun.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

This gorgeous farmhouse kitchen is how I first came to your blog over a year ago. It look like another time to me.
I LOVE your kitchen...of course, I copied your Mrs. Butterworth's soap pump in my own kitchen (hope you know that is flattery)
My favorite parts of your kitchen right now?
The cast iron hung on nails and the Fridge hidden behind the barn door!

beautiful. Pat

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

I love your kitchen! It is so country cute!

Blessings,
amy Jo

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love it! Thanks for posting all those pictures, I love seeing the details. I also have an old Aunt Jamima bottle too. Have to see if I can find her.....

Cranberry Morning said...

Love it! Especially the cow and those great cast iron skillets!

Dawn said...

Yep, I still love every part about it:) Posting to my FB page so everyone can see part 2.

Debby Ray said...

I love everything about your kitchen! I saw in one of your pics an oblong enamelware pan just like one I have! I love that stuff. And love those crepe myrtles in the vases....ttruly a lovely kitchen. I would spend all day in there too!

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru,
Everything is so amazing. I love every inch of your kitchen. Charm, Charm, Charm!!!! Love everything. I keep going back over the pictures that kitchen is really great.
Kris

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I surely wasn't disappointed with this post and all the pictures. It sure says, "Dru" all over it :)
Love all the fun, simple, farmhouse ideas you share here today. Yes, i agree that it would seem like a great theme to carry over in to the living ares of the house. It will be a delight to see how that is going.
Blessings, and thanks so much for sharing.
Susie

Pam said...

I just love your country kitchen and your bakers cabinet and baking soda box! The crocks the jars everything!
Sounds like your going to be busy with all those yummy fruits and veggies.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Anne said...

Absolutely love your kitchen.Every single detail is amazing!
xx
Anne

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love your farmhouse kitchen!! What great light you have coming thru the window. That is the one thing that I wish my kitchen had, but the only window I have is a small one above the sink.
Okay...going back for another look at your awesome kitchen!!
hugs,
Cindy

Pamela Gordon said...

Dru, I just love your kitchen/keeping room! It looks so authentic and I like that you use everything in sight for storage or cooking. You have so many great vintage kitchen things too. It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I adore your charming kitchen. love it and the vignette in the first pictures is glorious! Thank you so much for emailing me. I've been out of town with not internet service and I would have missed thia.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pollyanna said...

Really fun, and whimsical .... loved the chunky, shabby towel rack with the lace tablecloth hanging on it. So charming!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Love it!

I have a vintage seven up crate too! Right now I'm using it for something less glamorous. It's holding potatoes under one of the islands.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love everything in your kitchen, but the enamel trays were such a nice find.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We are in the process of restoring our farmhouse kitchen and can't decide on the counter tops, I really like your wooden ones. Our wooden one had some ancient material glued on so they are a mess. You guys have done a wonderful job on it.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I'm pinning some of these pics for sure!

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

Very pretty as always. Your photos always inspire me!

Elisha said...

I really love how you USE your antiques to disguise things... I'm inspired to do this.... All these empty crocks sitting around need to hide some stuff! ;) duh!

20 North Ora said...

What a wonderful, cozy kitchen! It feels like you just want to walk in, sit down and visit (while you are probably cooking up something delicious!). Great job!

Judy

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It is always so much fun to visit your place! :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Dru, I too have to have light. Just brightens my soul! Your kitchen is a place that I could hang out for hours. Love your crocks and the hanging pans. Every single picture was full of wonderful treasures. Loved every little thing, oh; except maybe that mouse! lol!
hugs,
Jann

bj said...

What an adorable kitchen, so full of personality. I never could locate your fridge..?

Anonymous said...

Hello, Dru. I am new to your blog and love the fun projects you post here.

We are in the process of gutting our mess of an old kitchen and I have a couple of questions about your counter surface. 1) What type of wood is it made from, and 2) what did you seal it with to keep it looking so nice!

Thanks for your help, Lynda

The Old Parsonage said...

Darling - love how you used the crock and covered them with tea towels!!!

I want to go back and look at everything again:)

Happy Canning!

Unknown said...

I never tire of seeing photos of your home - especially your kitchen - and this post completely blew me away - you have the most amazing eye for vintage detail - LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!
XOXO

Kim said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I am hooked! Your kitchen is absolutely delicious! Gorgeous! I am a sucker for farmhouse and red so I think it is just PERFECT! :) Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is amazing and everything in it. I love, love your splashing of red, just perfect!
Thanks for sharing.
Visiting from Common Ground today.
Michele

Anonymous said...

My you have some great finds in your kitchen! I love it, especially the dish soap and liquid hand soap dispenser! Are they vintage glass Mrs. Butterworths? Those are FABULOUS!

The Porcelain Rose said...

Love your kitchen!!
I especially like the tin tiles. I love all the antiques. I am a big collector, too and love my "stuff". Just beautiful! Job well done.
Hope you will pop over for a visit.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Your lovely kitchen makes me feel like canning something (and I've never canned before!!!). So simple yet functional. Thanks for sharing your pretty space.

stefanie said...

oh!!!! I love it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Dru, Congrats! You'll be featured this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays! Thanks so much for sharing!

Hugs, Jody

The Charm of Home said...

Looks lovely.
Sherry

Rach Kim said...

What a charming kitchen! I love the baby-sized mortar and pestle on display - though that faux mouse/rat scared the crap out of me!! The way you accessorized is really lovely and I'm envious of all of the cast-iron pans you have.

The only thing I dislike is the white "fuzz" borders you put on your photos. It was kind of distracting for me. But hey, everyone has their own style/preference.

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hola, subí la foto de mi cocina aqui en Pinterest, mirenla tal vez le falta mucho, gracias por sus comments, el tablero se llama Mejico o Gerardo Esquivel

ourlilcornerofworld said...

I love the old 7up crate! My family owned a 7-up bottling company! I'd love to find one in such good condition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...