Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Farmhouse Bath at Night



On the spur of the moment last night, I picked up my camera and headed for the bath--to take a few shots for my own use. . . .What I discovered was--the farmhouse bath takes on a very different glow at night with only the light from the chandelier--picking up the red in the roses and spreading it throughout the room. . . .almost a fairytale quality to it. . . .

I've been busy changing out the bath to a Plain and Simple Farmhouse Style this week. . . .Since I've never decorated plain and simple in that room, it certainly was a challenge for me. . . .I found myself putting in too much--stacking too many--adding this and that--coming up with the same look I've had for years. . . .

I can't tell you how many times I arranged and rearranged, only to tear it all down again, thinking "No, I want plain and simple. . . .like my keeping room. . . ."


Keeping Room! The "Simplify" sign!

So to remind me of my goal, I stole the sign from the keeping room and set it up in the bath--my inspiration for the rest of the week. . . .


There must be magic in that simple, thifted little 50c item. . . .Every time I'd gather too much together, I'd glance at "Simplify" and come back to my senses. . . .


I had two goals--to put together a simple farmhouse bath reminiscent of early to mid-20th century Delta farmhouses--and at the same time, challenge myself to continue with my Plain and Simple Style journey. . . .one I realize is not embraced by everyone--but one that has become very important to me--a goal I'm seeking--in my home and in my life. . . .


I've gained many insights during this challenge--the steps to accomplishing my goal. . . .I'll tell you about them one day soon. . . .But, for now, I wanted to share a little fairytale night time with you. . . .the glow of artificial light and a big bouquet of red roses. . . .




A simple grouping on the Victorian chest of drawers. . . .


A little vignette on top of the linen cabinet. . . .





I'm pleased with this Plain and Simple Bathroom Style. . . .Such a little transformation away from the cottage look--but a start. . . .When I reveal the bath in daylight, you'll see more touches of color and the soothing blue of the painted beadboard. . . .It looks totally different from this nightly play on light and shadows. . . .


After enjoying these photographs myself, I'm thinking candlelight, soft music and a bubble bath tonight. . . .Anyone have a rubber ducky I can borrow?

. . . .from my farmhouse bath to yours. . . .

42 comments:

Anne said...

Beautiful photos of your pretty bathroom! I know I have to remind myself that too.I love the simple look.But so easily I can go crazy LOL!That sign is a great reminder!
xx
Anne

Ruby and Arthur said...

I seem to add too much at times, too and need to remember that less is more soothing. I love your bath, it is so pretty. It is a room that I would love to spend time in! Jean

Unknown said...

So beautiful...

Jeannie said...

If white says simple, it's simply wonderful.

Amy Kinser said...

I love your simple yet gorgeous style.

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your vintage bathroom. The clothes hanging with wooden pegs, the simple decor and old dressers all make it very pretty.

Old Time Cindy said...

What I see is that you are such a natural at accomplishing this style. Really!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

It is 'simply' dreamy.
I like everything about it.
The COLGATE bars of soap...can you still buy those or are they something you found, or created with graphics?

Pat

Heide at ApronHistory said...

It's looking good! Love your clothes line.

Maureen Wyatt said...

It may have taken a few tries to get there, but I think you have that room just right. That sign is certainly worth keeping around as a reminder!

chateau chic said...

You're doing "simplify" very well. I am glad to still see some of your wonderful vignettes. I have a hard time simplifying. I start out simple, but after several weeks I've added a little here and there...
Mary Alice

Gail said...

Oh my...it's gorgeous!!

Junkchiccottage said...

You really do simple so well. I love your bathroom. It is simple but so much personality. Love it all.
Kris

Blondie's Journal said...

Day or night, your bath is simple, pretty and cozy!

XO,
Jane

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The evening light with the red roses give a magical glow!

Tina´s PicStory said...

how beautiful! love it ♥

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Such beautiful photos!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your Plain and Simple Bathroom Style...so pretty!!
hugs,
Cindy

Pendra said...

Your bathroom is so lovely! I can't wait to see the whole of it. I just adore all the beautiful pieces of your room, that Colgate soap is so cute, is that something you could scan? I have to tell you that my Sister and Mother lived together and after my Mom passed a year ago, she decided she didn't need 4 bedrooms. She is an avid knitter so we decided on a Yarn Room for her. We went to a BIG barn sale in Waseca, MN and found, you guessed it...a "Simplify" sign and that set the tone for the room. My father was a craftsman with wood and made rather rustic pine furniture, cabinets and shelves when he was alive, so we pulled them all together for this room...it is so beautiful and a very special room. I think it's all in the sign!!! Hope you are taking care of yourself.
Hugs,
Pendra

Art and Sand said...

Your bathroom is lovely. I have nowhere near that amount of space, but you have given me some ideas. One is to take my SIMPLIFY sign from the yard and bring it in for the bathroom.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Barbara Jean said...

all so perfectly wonderful...

blessings
barb

Julie Marie said...

So pretty Dru... you call it simple, I call it gorgeous!... try as I might, I cannot part with or put away so many of my things... I guess mine is more of a cottage~farmhouse... I know yours is a working farm, and I so admire you!... xoxo Julie Marie

Trisha said...

Your bathroom is so pretty and romantic yet simple and stunning! Enjoy it!

~Trisha

Cristina Garay said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm loving white these days!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh Dru, just so happens that I have a vintage rubber ducky I bought at an estate sale. I bought a small blue suitcase inside were sweet little baby treasures. I love your simple sweet bath! The clothesline is so much fun. I had a simplify sign and sold it at the yard sale. Try as I might I haven't figured out to do it yet. Hope when I do, it has style like you! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Pam said...

Your bathroom looks simply beautiful!
I love looking at all the things I remember from childhood. One I noticed was the sprinkle spout on the Coca-Cola bottle. My Mom used one all the time when she was ironing. I enjoy your site so much!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Your bathroom is so lovely and charming!

Jeanette @ Creating A Life

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Such a pretty bathroom! I usually find that I put too much stuff up, and have to stay on it to weed it down to just the right stuff--simplify is a good word for this:)

foreverdecorating said...

Who could not love this vintage looking space? Just beautiful and inviting.

MONSIEUR LE CHAT ET MOI said...

I just love your so nice bathroom ! I keep in mind the vintage wood board with the word SIMPLIFY. That's just my aim and the reason why I created my blog ! thank you so much
✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻✿✿✿*`*.¸xoxo from PARIS *✻✿✿✿*`*.¸.

♥´¨)

¸.•´ ¸.•*´¨)¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•`♥. Joëlle!♥

Robin Johnson said...

How dreamy. There is so much to love about this room. I think my favorite is the little clothesline filled with pretty tiny clothes - so sweet.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your room is wonderful and you're a great photographer!

Meredith @ The Laundry Can Wait said...

It's like stepping back in time. Nostalgic. Stunning. Romantic. Beautiful. I love those roses in the pitcher too.

Awe-struck in Oklahoma,
Meredith

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your room is gorgeous! You did such a wonderful job decorating it with all your vintage treasures. I love it!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful potty room. You did a wonderful job decorating and the bloomers made me smile. So darn cute:) Thanks for bringing it to the Party!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Really pretty! Visiting from Budget Decorating party!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful photos of your bath-at-night- at Simple & Sweet Fridays.
Just Beautiful!

Jody

Babs said...

So pretty and a reminder of simpler times. Love the clothes on the line and the sprinkler bottle.
Visiting from Make it Pretty Monday,
Babs

The Charm of Home said...

The romance of the old farmhouse for sure! Love the clothesline! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Dru, just hopping by to let you know that I am featuring you at Share Your Cup. I adore your sweet bath!
hugs,
Jann

Pam said...

Hi Dru, love your choice in the dreamy white style...lovely night time photos, so soft and warm! Please visit my new blog when you get a chance. (Formerly 52 apothecaryshop) I had to change my shop name because "customs" out of the US was red flagging me because of the name apothecary!!! I'm so glad I found you again! Love your simple farmhouse style~ xo Pam

Tonita said...

Recently found your blog and am loving what I see. Your bathroom is beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...