Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Splish Splash-Stripping Down the Bath


Since the holidays are over,  have things slowed down around your house?
It's been a slow week here--very unusual. . . . My Honey has been working away from the farm--meaning the living room is on hold for a while. . . .I've busied myself painting a few pieces of furniture but not much else is happening--typical of winter. . . .everything slows down to a crawl. . . .

When I find myself alone like this, I begin to eye things with more scrutiny than normal. . . .Winter is the time I catch up on serious cleaning--rooms, closets,  cabinets--and often serious rearranging. . . .


So, with time on my hands, I decided to challenge myself in a small bathroom make-over. . . .I've wanted to change the style to a plain and simple one. . . .attempts in the past have ended with a tendency to "fancy it up"--an old habit from my cottage years that's so hard to break. . . . That's why it will be a challenge. . . .Overcoming a habit is never easy, is it? 



First order of business--strip down the bath to the bare necessities and give it a thorough cleaning while I'm at it. Talk about plain and simple! Look at it now!

One thing I've learned over the years is that I'm better off starting with a clean slate. . . .gradually adding back as the inspiration comes. . . .



An example of how this one little trick allows me to see a room in a different light--I've used the washtub in the bath for seven years and have never noticed that it has the same shape as the tub! Duh. . . .I knew it looked right--never realizing why. . . .


And, once I took the clutter off the dresser sink, my eyes once again appreciated the decoupaged calendar page and envelope from Granddaddy's 1938 planner. He had made numerous entries into it that are fun to read--but lost among all the added extras. . . .



As I cleaned out the closet, I came across this cute little graniteware potty, stuck way in the back. . . .perfect to hold the fanny ribbon. . . .I'd forgotten all about it. . . .

Then I eyed the wooden clothes dryer that we've used for our extra towels more than seven years--why have I never painted it?

Stripping down the bath has certainly presented lots of possibilities, yet I continue to tell myself "Simplify". . . . . I've never decorated a bath in which less was more. . . .but, I think it will be fun to change things around. . . .

I'll finish my cleaning and painting this week. . . .then start bringing back a FEW items that are more "farmhouse". . . .
Hope to show you our new old bathroom one day soon. . . .
plain and simple style. . . .
 

. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .


Sharing with: * Tweak It Tuesday

25 comments:

Dawn said...

Love your potty room, it looks great stripped down and the wash tub is fab.

Old Time Cindy said...

It's lookin' good already! Your bathroom is huge compared to my space. Lookin' forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Florida Farm Girl said...

I love that bathtub of yours!! And I love the whole bathroom space. Just luscious.

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh I just love your bathroom with all the wonderful vintage things you have. That decoupaged page from your grandfather's calendar is so sweet. I have never heard TP called 'fanny ribbon' before. How cute!! You have some wonderful elements in that room already. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

You just gave me a great idea for the bathroom... I have some old receipts, papers & pics from my g'ma's cedar chest that I hate to have hidden away inside, so I'm going to laminate (so they don't fall apart or age faster than they already have) them & arrange on some glass shelves in the bathroom, so I can see them everyday! Thank you for this post & giving me this idea! I've always wanted an ALL WHITE bathroom & short of the shower stall being an ugly yellow color, that I hate but can't afford to replace, I'm going to get busy doing it.
LOVE YOUR TUB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR & the chest & mirror in the corner! I sooo wish I had a bigger bathroom... I'm going to get a pedestal sink at some point, too. Love an all white bath =)

Anonymous said...

ps love your granite potty & the 'fanny ribbon', never heard that one before! heheheee
the washtub & 'warshboard' love it! =)
reminds me of Lorreta Lynn singing Coal Miner's Daughter... mama scrubbed our clothes on a 'warshboard' 'everday' gotta love her accent! =)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your stripped down bathroom is looking good already. You have found some neat things to use in there. I love the graniteware potty for holding the fanny ribbon! I've never heard it called that before. :0)

Blondie's Journal said...

I love how big your bathroom is! And your tub is gorgeous! I know you are going to have fun mixing things up. I have very small bathrooms so I have to keep them very simple. No challenge there at all! lol!

XO,
Jane

Junkchiccottage said...

That is a great bathroom. Wow you have alot of room in there. I love the tub. It looks amazing as is but I know with your inspiration and touches it will look so great. I can't wait to see it.
Kris

chateau chic said...

I'm sure your bathroom will be charming when you're done. You have so many wonderful accessories to add!
Mary Alice

Gail said...

I LOVE that tub and I can't wait to see when you're done! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Gail

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Some of my favorite vignettes were in your bathroom. I remember them well.

Anne said...

What a dreamy bathroom! LOVE that old dresser and tub too!
xx
Anne

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I'd love to have a bathroom big enough to fit a fabulous dresser like yours!! I hope to do the same thing with our living room when I paint it in the spring. Haul all the furniture to the garage and pick and choose what makes the cut.

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

I love your bathroom!! We are about to start a bathroom remodel and I can't wait.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a charming bathroom! This is my first visit to your blog and I'm smitten! I'll be following along. Can't wait to discover more!

cynthia lee designs said...

I love your bathroom!! Wish mine was bigger...we can barely turn around in ours. Love the little graniteware potty that hold the fanny ribbon. I have our fanny ribbon in an old crock. Can't wait to see this room when you get it all redecorated.
hugs,
Cindy

Pendra said...

Ooooh my that tub is so sweet! I can't wait to see how you put this lovely room back together again... remember simple isn't always all it's cracked up to be!!!
Hugs,
Pendra

Pam said...

It's looking good! Love the galvanized tub display and the potty with the "fanny ribbon"! Great idea to strip down and start over!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Most Awesome Bathroom.....EVER!!!! I love it just the way it is. If it was in my house, it would be for ladies only...hehehe.

Love the 'fanny ribbon' LOL

blessings,jill

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, even empty your bathroom is gorgeous! Farmhouse style gorgeous! I always get the cleaning bug after Christmas also. Been crazy busy here though. Hubby and I have decided to finish the basement. Getting some help so we had to move everything out. Oh my gosh! I have picked up so many things hoping to use down there. I also discoverd fun stuff that I brought from our previous home and haven't used here. I am going to go for a farmhouse look down there. Although I think a bit of cottage will spill over also. I love your mule team tin. My fav color combo. Red and turquoise. All of your treasures are so fun. And I remember when you did the decoupage.
Hugs,
Jann

Susie said...

The thing I liked the best, your grandpa's planner. I wish I owned something of my grandparents'. I do have birthday cards from my mom,I'll treasure those. Just reading this post has me thinking I need to make a small journal for each of my grandkids, so they remember me .Thank you. xoxo,Susie

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Love the bathroom, especially that claw foot tub! Blessings, Tammy

ohiofarmgirl said...

This bathroom is fabulous!!!Dianntha

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it all done! Love the tub, vanity, and everything! It's so pretty. Just a small hint of pastels would look so lovely in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...