Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Pie Safe Blues



What to do--
With all the Blue. . . .



It's not just a matter of a cup or two,
There's a whole table of blue. . . .








 It's enough to make a Delta girl want to Sing the Blues. . . .
(I couldn't resist saying that. . . .)

But, you won't hear this Delta girl sing the Blues,
at least not about my transferware collection.
I was so tickled to see it, after being packed up for so many years,
that I wasn't about to box it up again. . .

I know you're probably asking why would I want more dishes,
when I just showed you three cupboards full. . . .
Well, the plain and simple of it is. . . .
because I like them. . . .
There are some things that come and go in your life--
and then there's the things that you never consider letting go of.
Guess where the blue and white fits in. . .

The 1895 prim pie safe will be their new home. . . .


I'm not one who refuses to put a paintbrush to an antique. . .
if you don't believe me, check out the white cupboards in the keeping room.
but, there are some pieces I consider sacred--don't touch--love the patina from years of use--


  I think you'll agree--this one certainly has character--with it's layers of chippy paint and rusty tin.




I can't decide what to do with the doors--
My intention was to replace the openings with punched tin to match the rest.
Once I put the dishes in, I liked seeing them. . . .
Tin? Screening? Glass?
More decisions. . .





Of course, I added other blue pieces that fit in with the transferware.
All together, they make up my  "Pie Safe Blues". . . .

Guess you can tell I'm getting everything back in order--
I have one more sewing project before I finish the keeping room/kitchen--
and a bit more tweaking and fluffing.
The fireplace is needing some trim and a mantle.
I'm hoping the exterior will be finished this week.
I'd like to get a fire going to ward off the chill each morning. . ..
plus, it's so cozy. . . .

One day. . . . . Soon. . . . . .I'll be sharing it all with you. . . . . .


I won't be singing the Blues that day, for sure. . . . .


from my farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

Want to see more of the collection?
So Blue--Transferware for the Keeping Room

********************
Sharing this post with: * Show & Tell Friday *Feathered Nest Friday * Potpourri Friday * Home Sweet Home * Vintage InspirationSweet & Simple Fridays  * Inspiration Friday

28 comments:

Salmagundi said...

You can't beat blue transferware for that cozy feeling. And that pie safe - it's to die for wonderful! Sally

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, glass for sure. You want to be able to see those lovelies as well as helping to keep some of the dust out.

Pollyanna said...

I totally agree about the paint ... some old chippy paint is so wonderful it shouldn't be touched. I just cringe at the antique store when I work when people say, "This piece would be great, stripped/painted!" Love your Pie Safe and your collection!

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful collection of blue and white china and the perfect piece of furniture to display them in. I think I'd use glass in the doors to show off the china and other things. Have a great week!

Pennywise Cottage said...

very pretty..How about chicken wire on the doors?

cynthia lee designs said...

I'm thinking glass...so you can see those "Pie Safe Blues". What a beautiful collection!!
~Cindy

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh I thought I had a lot of blue,but nehhh I don't after seeing this lovely lot. I so love the meat safe as is too. I think I'd put in glass or better still chicken wire. Or maybe just nothing. :)

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, Dru!
Your post reminds me of the old tune..."My Blue Heaven!" You have a beautiful collection and it's wonderful seeing your display your pieces so beautifully.
Have a sweet day, my friend,
Blessings,
Carolynn xo
Thank you for your thoughtful comment. It's great to see one more thing you and I have in common.

Pam said...

I just love all of you beautiful blue dishes! I think chicken wire would be charming but glass would keep the dust out. Can you do both? Charming and dust free!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Old Time Cindy said...

That pie safe is screaming 'chicken wire' for the doors so you can see your beautiful dishes. Really...chicken wire! :)
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

cattus said...

Love the blue! Maybe chicken wire in the doors so you can see everything clearly but still have a little protection for the china?

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, I COVET your blues! I sold my blue transferware when I got divorced. (Needed the cash.) Hoping to collect more one day. For now I'll enjoy gazing at yours.
Brenda

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I couldn't part with my blue transferware either. I like it in the old pie safe, Dru.

Simply Shelley said...

Beautiful...the dishes and the pie safe...blessings

Melanie said...

Your Pie Safe Blues are lovely!! Loving that pie safe!!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I've got a collection of blue & white transferware, but it's a beginner's collection next to yours! Fabulous!

I'm in the process of replacing screen in some old cupboard doors for my daughter. I like the look, but it does make it hard to see the contents of the cupboard.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

That pie safe is a treasure! I have always wanted one....
As for the doors, I like it the way it is. Glass might look too fancy. I love your transferware collection too! Especially the first tea cup with the house inside.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a lovely collection! I recognize some pieces I have too. Although, I'm not so into my blue transferware collection like I used to be (moved onto red), I can't get rid of it!

fiona anderson said...

That pie safe is just gorgeous. I agree with some of the ladies above - chicken wire would look the best in my view.
I have a few blue transferware pieces but nothing like your amazing collection.

Deb said...

Love your collection.

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Wow... what a beautiful relic! The perfect home for your blues. I agree that glass may be too fancy and screen would make it hard to see your wares. What about the mesh with the little silver wire squares... if you could distress the wire enough and distress the wood frames to go over where the original ones once were. Hmm. Just a thought. It's lovely as is too!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful post on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love your collection of blue transferware and your old pie safe is such a treasure piece. I think behind glass with maybe a light on them to show them off would be nice.

Jody

The Charm of Home said...

You are so welcome for the feature! I love your style. I think we are on the same page with our love of this style. I like this old pie safe. It does have a fantastic patina. I wonder if chicken wire would work? I like the way it showcases the dishes too. Can't wait to see what you do. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

Jocelyn said...

Love the transferware. And Love the pie safe. Beautiful post!

Jocelyn @
http//justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love the blue as well, I have no where near your size of collection but its my fav for sure, thats a lovely pie safe, I have been thinking of taking the panels out of the openings of mine and adding the chicken wire, now i really feel inspired, I will enjoy following along with you,

Robin Johnson said...

Your collection looks amazing in the pie safe. I can see why you wouldn't want to cover the door. Have you considered chicken wire?

Two Cottages And Tea said...

Your dishes are so beautiful! Keep on collecting, you can never have enough of the transferware! Looks like your piesafe is perfect for showing off your blues! Have a good evening.
Nancy

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Followed you -
Love your blue-
I have a thing for blue plates too!

Hahahaha!!!!

Glad I found you on French Country Cottage!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...