Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Re-Purposing: A Rustic Table-Bench Tutorial


Our re-purposed ammo box table was featured last week in the post A Typical Day.
Since then, I have received many inquiries from Do-It-Yourself-ers, asking for instructions on our project. So, I thought I'd share the rustic table-bench with you in a tutorial.

I've already found many uses for it--as a garden table for potted plants, as a side table in our "gazebo", and as a sturdy bench to sit on while gardening or crafting. I hide my garden tools in the box. And, it's very easy to move around with the rope handles.
Useful and handy. . .I love those words. . . .

You'll need a small ammo box. Actually, any box would do. 
We've seen these ammo boxes at yard sales and flea markets for less than $5.

You'll also need the two outside 2 x 4's from a palette. . . .

Measure the center section  of the 2 x 4. . . .

And, draw a line at the center point. . . .

 Saw the board into two pieces on the line. . . .

Take a file, or sandpaper, and smooth off the cut edges. . . .
Do the same on the second 2 x 4. . . .

 Now, you have four potential legs. . . .
Draw a cutting line on the first leg,
measuring from the top to the desired length. . . .

 Cut the one leg. . . . 
 Mark the remaining three legs with the first one. . . .
 Make sure all are the same length once they are cut. . . .

Decide where you want the legs to be placed and mark. . . .
Make sure the lid will open and clear the legs. . . .
Use nails or screws and attach the legs to the box. . . . 

Your rustic table bench is finished. . . .
Unless you decide to paint it. . . .

 I decided to leave mine without paint and let it weather to gray. . . .

I love projects that are easy and simple and can be completed quickly. . . .
This project was all three. . . .
It was so easy, I could have done it myself. . . .
But, don't tell John. . . .

Linking this post with:  * Rural Thursday * Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways

19 comments:

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Cute!

Anne Payne said...

That's so pretty! I love the rustic look :)

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous ( but doesn't look so easy to me ) You guys are loaded with talent!
Hugs,
Suzan

Old Time Cindy said...

Great little project! Fantabulous!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Last summer I was digging around in the shed...and spotted one of these boxes way far in the back. It's still there. Maybe I'll be getting it out soon as we have a cool break from this heat...and make me one of those nice tables!
Love it!
Pat

Unknown said...

This is great. I'm sure it does have several different ways that you could use it. Can't wait to see what you do with it in the fall season. Show us pic's!

Melody said...

Dru, I need one of those. My husband was a AMMO guy in the AF. The ones I have seen are way more than $5 but I will keep looking. We are supposed to have rain today. What about you? Take care.

PS I am thinking about buying the rag rug loom. :)

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

This bench is so adorable...and we love the tutorial ~ thanks for sharing :) Love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this! What a darling little bench and someone is very handy! Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

So cute and great tut'! Love it with the hat and flowers. :)

Chenille Cottage said...

What a wonderful and sturdy new table! It will be nice stowing things inside, too!
Blessings,
Carolynn

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How cool is that?! Very neat!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful table ~ so creative ~ great tutorial (A Creative Harbor)

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat project!

Anonymous said...

Love it! My dad has a bunch of pallets like that & I have him saving them for me to make different things... can't wait to get started, cuz I have lots & lots of ideas for them!

I LOVE the blue pot on the ground, too.

Nancy said...

Love it -- but I can't say I've ever seen an ammo box for sale around here...

An Apel a Day said...

They work great for a lot of things. I saw them used as planters to. A great tutorial.

http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/08/natures-floor.html

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh I love this! I have a box that looks just like that, mine is painted a light greenish. I just might show the hubby this and make a sweet little table like yours! Thanks for sharing! xo Holly

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial.
I've started a Repurposed Ideas Weekly blog hop. Won't you join in? This would make a great post!
www.repurposemylife.com
Thanks for sharing. It's really cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...