Thursday, November 7, 2013

Kitchen Cover-up: Hiding the Coffee Pot


Coffee Pot?
Do you see a Coffee Pot?
I don't see one. . . .Thank Goodness!
 
There's a constant 'discussion' in this house about where to hide John's coffee pot. (Yes, he prefers a percolator). . . .During the summer, I hid it for a time in a large crock. . . .That didn't last long. . . .Before the summer was over, the coffee pot and all the fixin's found their way to the countertop. . . .Not by my choice. . . .John took over the decorating on this one. . . .
 
His favorite word in décor is 'convenient'. . . .Mine is 'simplicity'. . . .and 'hide it' if at all possible. . . .Do any of you ever have the same argument discussion?
 
 I let it ride for the summer. . . .After all, coffee's the one thing John will make on his own. . . .At the same time, I was ever searching for an answer to our problem that both of us would be happy with. . . .


 Ta. . .Dah!
Just your average old, much abused potato bin! . . .Dirty, worn, oily, beat up. . . .Back missing. . . .Nails sticking out. . . .Absolutely BEAUTIFUL prim. . . .
 
To be honest, I didn't buy the potato bin to hide the coffee pot. . . .but then, I didn't buy it for potatoes either. . . .Let's face it. . . .I bought it because it had character. . . .personality. . . .It needed a home. . . .
 
It's been sitting in the garage for the last couple of months--while I came up with an idea of how to use it. . . .Every time John would pass by, he'd ask if I wanted a back on 'that' bin? . . .'No'. . . .'Well, what are going to do with it? You can't put potatoes in it'. . . .Remember me telling you that John doesn't think outside the box?
 
 
To make a very long story short, I had the house to myself the last two days, while John helped a friend. . . .I took the opportunity to strip down the kitchen and begin to add fall and winter touches. . . .I looked at that clutter of a mess and just could not take it anymore. . . .Not one more minute. . . .Almost immediately. . . .You guessed it. . . .I thought 'The Potato Bin!'
 
I cleaned it up. . . .Whitewashed it with my 'special' and quick technique ( 1-2-3 White Wash ) . . . .And thanked myself for not letting John put a back on it! . . .Glued felt on the feet so the bin would slide around quick and easy. . . .Hung newspaper behind the screen. . . .Loaded the shelves with all John's coffee drinking necessities. . . .
 
 
Believe it or not, he Loved it! . . .So do I. . . .No more clutter. . . .No more 'modern' appliance hanging out on our vintage countertop. . . .Best of both worlds.
 
 
John did have a question for me:
 "Where are we going to put the potatoes now?"
Sigh. . . .Grin. . . ."I'll figure out something."
 
 
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . 
 
 
 


16 comments:

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Great idea! Love your blog!! =)

ANNE said...

How is it that white paint always makes everything look fabulous?!

beautiful display!

Carolyn said...

I love it! And I am enjoying your blog very much. I look forward to reading more and taking in your beautiful photos.
Blessings!

Unknown said...

I love it Dru. I think I could make one of those. . . hmmmmmm. Have a good day. . .
id love for you to check out my blog. . . http://7grands.blogspot.com

debi

Pamela Gordon said...

That's a wonderful idea Dru. I love it.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I am glad this story has a happy ending! It is so hard to work around everyday life sometimes.

Also glad to have you back! :)

camp and cottage living said...

Dru
Your cabinet is perfect for hiding a coffee pot like mine.
I think your coffee pot is too cool to hide though!!
Glad you are back.

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru,
The coffee cabinet is fabulous. I had to smile at the percolator. Oh I remember the coffee being made by one of those and it sounded so great and made the whole kitchen smell wonderful. Love that yours still works and makes a great cup of coffee.
Kris

Brenda Pruitt said...

Great idea! I eat a baked potato one night, a sweet potato the next. And I just keep mine in big bowls for convenience.
Brenda

Patty Sumner said...

One word.....LOVE! Blessings!

Pam said...

Your weathered little cabinet looks great, as do your crocks and wooden utensils! We have an old percolator and we don't even drink coffee (we are tea drinkers)! I think maybe it might be prettier than some of those monstrosity coffee makers out there today.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

Very nice......but funny, because I always admire that peculator every time it shows up in a post!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I'd love to be able to hide my Mr.Coffee. I love your very clever and attractive solution!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it!! Great idea to use it.
Hugs,
Cindy

Unknown said...

Great Idea !
The stuff seems a perfect for the upcoming project based on trying different food stuff items.

Thanks
Finn Felton

Kopi Luwak

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

I agree with some of the others, your percolator did look good sitting on the counter with your other accessories for the morning ritual. Oh well, but the bin is perfect also!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...