Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Neutrals and Grays of Wire, Tin, and Cotton Sacking With Thoughts About Decorating Styles


Doesn't this look clean and crisp? 
Or. . .is it too much white for you?

There are different schools of thought about farmhouse decor. . .One favoring farmhouses in the last century that were filled with color and a miss-match of everything from fabric to mixing bowls. . .On the other hand, nowadays we think of the farmhouse in neutrals of whites and grays. . .


When I started blogging The Country Farm Home 2011, everything was beginning to feature whites. . .from shabby chic cottages to the new guy on the block--the country farmhouse. . .Believe it or not, finding farmhouse decor was rather difficult in those days. . .My blog was one of the first. . .and let me tell you, I sure went through a number of styles before I landed on the one that fit our farm style. . .I decided to throw out trying to mimic other's and come up with my own. . .I have always decorated according to the house type, so our farmhouse needed to look like one. . .but with an updated sense of style. . .So which school of thought did I lean toward?. .Both. . .As I've often said, I chose the neutrals of cotton growing in the field. . .white, black, gray and browns. . .with pops of color. . .because no, I cannot "do" just white. . .but white mixed with other neutrals and a little red or denim blue fit the bill for me. . .It made the little farmhouse light, bright, and airy. . .I also found that with neutrals, the decor could change easily and often. . .


Trends do come and go. . .They cycle. . .but each time an old trend surfaces again, it is built upon and made better suited to the lifestyle and decorating style of the present generation. . .I like to think that is what I've done with my own farmhouse style. . .and with the objects I include in the decor. . .Not just reminiscent of the past. . .but a statement for the present that this is a farmhouse in which we live now. . .


Wire baskets, galvanized buckets, milking items, cotton sacking and ticking will always spell 'farmhouse' without saying a word. . .These are items I guarantee you I saw in the numerous farmhouses I visited when growing up in this small farming community. . .I simply use them in a different way. . .


As I was spring cleaning, I realized I've been accumulating a lot of wire items and more galvanized tin. . .from the barns and storage buildings over the years. . .Nine years after I began our farmhouse style, I still love the look and patina of such items in my decor. . .I doubt that will ever change. . .because these items ARE part of the history of our farm. . .and thus, of The Country Farm Home. . .


But what I can say is. . .I will continue to remain open to new trends in decor that may surface. . . and incorporate those I like . . .for I think that's the secret in any style. . .Take a bit of the past, add some present but apply it to your own style. . .what makes you happiest. . .Isn't that the true sense of decorating?

I think it is. . .


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...