Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Spiced Tea--A Family Tradition

When I was growing up, once the holidays arrived, Mom began serving her Hot Spiced Tea at all the "drop-ins", parties and get-togethers. It dates back at least to 1910. The recipe was handed down from my Great Aunt Emma.



(No, this isn't Aunt Emma, it's me--dressed as she might have been in 1910.)

I'd love to be able to offer you a cup of this spicy, citrus delicious tea in person. . . .And, I certainly would if you were here for Christmas. . . Maybe the next best thing would be to share the family recipe with you. . . .for your own holiday parties. . . .

Great Aunt Emma's Hot Spiced Tea

1 tsp whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon, broken
3 quarts water 
2 1/2 Tablespoons tea
Juice of 3 oranges
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar

Bring water to a rapid boil. Add spices and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the tea. Allow to brew for about 5 minutes (longer if you want a stronger tea). Strain. In a separate pan, mix the fruit juices and sugar. Bring to the boiling point. Add to tea just before you're ready to serve. 
Makes 25 servings
Note: Mom refrigerated any left-over, even after mixed together. 
Still very good. 


After Christmas dinner, we'd each pour a cup of the tea, toast Great Aunt Emma's recipe and family traditions, wish for another joyous year, and drink it as we ate slices of Great Grandmother Ruddle's Fruit Cake. 
Then the tea recipe was put away for another year. 

Great Aunt Emma Liggett

 Christmas Blessings. . . .

from my farmhouse kitchen to yours. . .

21 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

You are so blessed to have such lovely traditions passed down within your family. I'd love to share some tea with you someday. I like how you jazzed your picture.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a lovely tradition! I love that it has been passed down for so long.
Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks delicious!

Maureen Wyatt said...

That's a lovely family tradition and you look truly authentic!

Pollyanna said...

Such a very lovely tradition, made the sweeter by memories of your aunt. I love how family heritage can enrich our lives, thanks for sharing!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

You sure have some neat old outfits, Dru.

Revi said...

Oooh - I look forward to trying this one! Thanks for the recipe.
-Revi

Susie said...

Love this post. Everyone will remember your aunt, by you making her special tea at each family gathering. xo, Susie

Junkchiccottage said...

These are all such wonderful traditions. This tea sounds so yummy I am going to try it. So thank you for the recipe. Wonderful post.
Kris

The Cranky said...

It's a lovely tradition and it's so kind of you to share the recipe with us.

Anonymous said...

Our families are so spread out that celebrating the holidays together are rare. Unlike when I was a kid, we were always together. Will certainly try the tea though.

Thanks for sharing.
blessings,jill

Tanya Breese said...

great tradition! love the photos of both you and your aunt :)

i'll have to pin this recipe. recently when we went to the mill in paint bank, they were serving russian tea. that was pretty tasty too. my boys loved it so i found a recipe online, calls for tang!

Anne said...

Love this tradition! This sounds delicious too!
xx
Anne

Julie Marie said...

I love visiting you!... I always leave with such a warm cozy feeling... thanks so much for sharing your Great Aunt Emma's recipe... sounds delish!... I loved seeing her photo as well... you cherish your memories and hold them close to your heart like I do... xoxo Julie Marie

chateau chic said...

What a great tradition, and I love your period dress! The tea sounds delicious.
Mary Alice

Chenille Cottage said...

Dear sweet Dru,
Oh....How I loved your post. It's so filled with warmth and nostalgia. Sometimes, I wonder if I was born in the wrong era. My Gramma always told me stories of her Mama and Grandma. They were Pioneers who crossed the plains in the covered wagon.

You look so lovely and comfortable in your country farmhouse environment and what a beautiful setting it is.

Thank you for sharing your Great Aunt Emma's spice tea recipe. I'd imagine that it smells as good as it tastes.

Blessings and thanks to you for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment.
Warmly,
Carolynn xxx

cynthia lee designs said...

What a wonderful tradition!! Thanks for sharing your Great Aunt Emma's recipe.
hugs,
Cindy

Gina said...

The recipe sounds delicious. I have a stupid question; do you use instant tea? Thanks!

Lady Courtney said...

This sounds delicious! Going to try it...nothing better than spiced tea for Christmas!

poppilinnstudios said...

What a wonderful tradition. I have to try Great Aunt Emma's recipe-thanks for sharing!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, this would be so yummy on a cold Winters day. I can almost smell it brewing on the stove. Love how you made the cute pic of you look vintage! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Micupoftea said...

Ties to the past, cherished memories~ Sounds like you're blessed with both. How wonderful that you own the actual recipe, too! Merry Christmas,
Shawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...