Saturday, May 5, 2012

The 1930s Country Bath

Just kidding!!!!

Is this better?

When we started renovations on the old farm manager's house, the bath was a closed-in area on the back porch. Until the 1960s, or later,
the bathroom was an outhouse,
and I suppose actual baths were taken in a #3 washtub in the kitchen!

We had three bedrooms, so we took the smallest one and made it into a large bath, with the hot water heater, the washer and the dryer behind the louvered doors to the right.

We agreed from the beginning that the bath had to look as if it had been here since the 1930s. Even the skirted tub is authentic to the time period.

We both love the way it turned out. So much room and so relaxing.




John fitted the sink into an old dresser we found in the barn.
The chair was my Grandmother Duncan's; the undies my Grandfather's. . .


 Bath oils, bubble bath, shampoos are handy. . .


A photograph of my Mom. . .
She's the one on the left.


The Necessary is hidden from view. . .


A bird nests in a vintage pot. . .


A reminder of where true Home is. . .


Clouds on the ceiling. . .

 Don't you agree our bath is so much better than
 the "other" option?

Linking with:
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration @ Common Ground
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Show & Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this bathroom! Wow!

Marie said...

I like the colors you used. I've never seen a tub like that one. Do you kknow when it was made?

The Farmers Daughter said...

The tub was manufactured in 1929. We bought it from a Tennessee friend. It was being used as a sunken flower bed. Obviously, we restored it!

SouthernSimplicity said...

Love the opening picture. . .

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this bathroom!
I especially love how you placed the tub!
Wonderful space.
Hugs,
Tam

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oh, I love what you did with the bath. Bubble baths must be heavenly.

farmhouse-story said...

love this room! beautiful tub!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Oh what a wonderful, gorgeous bbathroom! I love big furniture in a bathroom or kitchen, so unexpected and unique. You must come visit me at the Farmhouse Porch sometime! Now following you...
♥Linsey

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love everything about this bathroom! The clouds on the ceiling..that BEAUTIFUL mirror, everything is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

So country farmhouse for sure, and really adorable. You must be loving that tub. Thanks for sharing this. I found you at Feathered Nest Friday.
Liz

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful. I actually remember using a wash tub for baths when we were little. Our bath room only had a metal shower, so the kids were allowed to bathe in the tubs on the back porch. Thanks for the memory. I had not thought about that in years.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Such a charming bathroom! Love all the details!

Pamela said...

Charming bathroom!

Inspired by you said...

Can I come over and take a bath? What a lovely bathroom!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Beautiful Bathroom!

Myric said...

I couldn't help myself but to admire your beautiful bathroom. It's like vintage meets modern design. The combination I love!

I'd like to invite you to join linky party I am having right now :) Hope you could visit and link-up!

xo
Myric

Art and Sand said...

All I can say is "Oh, my!" It is just too wonderful for words!

arrielle_p said...

Love this bathroom and love your blog! I've just started following you and reading all your other posts.

philippines properties for sale

Amy said...

I LOVE this bathroom. My husband and I are in the process of buying a very old house with a very outdated bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll check back again soon.

Amy {aprons & ambition}

Jessie Lou said...

Aaw this is so cute! I love your bathroom :) We are remodeling a ranch house in Texas that was built in 1955. I really enjoy reading about the era of the home and trying to keep it as true to that era as possible and still functional.

Adios,
Jessie Lou

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Love your bath! Just found you from Cozy Little House...following you now!
Blessings,
Cindy

corawithcamera.blogspot.com said...

Love what you have done. Working on 1914 Farmstead rescue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...