Thursday, January 3, 2013

Inspiration for the Farmhouse Living Room Redo

I'm getting inspired! . . .From blogs, websites, magazines, books, and my own idea journals. . . .It's always fun to start a new project. . . .So many ideas going through my head. . . .So many decisions to make. . . .But, it's exciting, isn't it?

from: Country Living Magazine


What's filling my imagination? . .Our living room redo. . . .I told you a little bit about it in What's Next Revealed . . . .Now that the holidays are over, it's time to get serious. . . .I have a vague sense of what I want. . . .Of course, it will have to be Plain & Simple Farmhouse Style. . . .something that will fit in with the keeping room/kitchen. . . .farmhouse whites and other neutrals. . . .but with pops of color. . . .I'll have to incorporate black somewhere to tie in with the keeping room checkerboard floor. . . .maybe. . . .A striped rug?


.
 from: countryliving.com
Or, maybe not. . . .

I'm so thankful for all the bloggers who take time to share their own homes. . . .There's a wealth of inspiration out there. . . .It's awesome. . . .One family room that caught my attention was at Junk Chic Cottage. . . .

junkchiccottage.blogspot.com
Kris has a superb eye for placing unexpected items together, doesn't she?

I'll definitely slipcover our couch. . . .The problem is, we have three! Two in storage, one we use--all in different styles--a cottage, a traditional, and a camel back. . . .Which one?

So, I've spent the last few days browsing. . . .

from: countryliving.com
I could see myself enjoying this setting. . . .but don't you think it
needs a bright red something?


from: countryliving.com
That couch actually resembles the camel back one I have. . . .
Come to think of it, I have furniture that resembles all these pieces.


from: countryliving.com
My eyes went right to the wooden box and the blue canning jars.
And, notice the ladder in the corner. . . .


from: countryliving.com
The black and white signs remind me of chalk boards--could add a touch of the black I'm looking for. . . .
  

from: countryliving.com
Buckets painted white? Why not?


from: countryliving.com
Too much white? Yet, there's a farmhouse feel to it. . .
I couldn't paint the living room floor, though--could I?
. . . The striped pillows are nice. . .

I also noticed that I've been drawn to couches with the legs showing. . . .Something I never realized I liked. . . .Hmmmm. . . .It's looking more and more like the camel back couch is winning out.

 Then, I found this idea. . . .

I have an iron baby bed exactly like this one. . . .I bought it, thinking I'd make a love seat for one of the shotgun houses. . . .Now, I think it's going in the living room. . . .maybe. . . .


from: Every Little Birdie

from: Every Little Birdie
I also found this clever vintage ironing board idea at Every Little Birdie. . . .I have one--a sofa table maybe?

My head is spinning!

What I know for sure is--I'll use my collection of feed and seed bags. . . .




A few for pillows. . . .others for cushion covers. . . .

from: sugarpiefarmhouse

from: Pinterest
Maybe a few for chair covers. . . .
Don't these shout "Farmhouse!!!"


 
I'll keep the vintage china cabinet--but paint it. . . .the ladder with the cotton pick sack and straw hat. . . .the vintage drapes--maybe. . . .or not. . . .

See what I mean? 


Decisions. . . .Decisions. . . .Decisions. . . .
Maybe I'll just wing it and let things
fall into place on their own. . . .

Another journey. . . .
But, won't it be fun? 
(John just frowned at me over his glasses. . . .ha ha)

from my farmhouse to yours. . . .


Sharing with: * Show & Tell Friday * Feathered Nest Friday * Simple & Sweet Fridays * Home Sweet Home * Be Inspired Friday

28 comments:

Every Little Birdie said...

Love all your ideas!! I've just done a post on my new decor ideas for 2013. A fresh New Year always inspires ideas and projects!!! Thanks for featuring my vintage ironing board! I've only recently started following your blog but it's becoming one of my favorites!!!

Mary Ann said...

I'm planning to paint and re-arrange and "shop in my closets" here, too! Want to get started in a few weeks, but I think I'll do some putting together of interest books of my own... what a great idea. Too much white in the Country Living photos, though... they need some color to be "real".

ohiofarmgirl said...

It is fun to dream. But it has taken quite a while to begin to get mine they way I want it and still a work in progress! Dianntha

Jeannie said...

I love the pages you've collected & look forward to your transformation.

Old Time Cindy said...

The fourth photo with something colorful above the fireplace. Love it! You've got some wonderful ideas here. You know that you have to trust your instinct and just start working with your big pieces first. Geez, I wish we lived closer so we could bounce ideas off of each other. Oh, I just found the perfect spot for the rice sacks...thank you!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm starting in on a makeover of my living room this month, so be prepared for me to steal lots of your ideas!

Amy Kinser said...

Your ideas are fabulous. The inspiration photos would be exactly what I would choose.

Can't wait to see what you do. I know it will be perfect.

Blessings this new year.

cynthia lee designs said...

I love all your inspiration photos!! I've been wanting to add some more whites into my living room and seeing your post today has giving me all kinds of ideas.
Can't wait to see your living room make-over!!
hugs,
Cindy

Blondie's Journal said...

These pictures are great inspiration. I think you are right about touch of black, but not too overpowering, maybe some picture frames? And I have heard that you should always have one red piece in your room, like a book.

Redoing your room is going to be so fun! I look forward to you sharing it with us!

XO,
Jane

chateau chic said...

Great inspirational photos, Jane. Can't wait to see what direction you choose.
Mary Alice

Anita Diaz said...

Wonderful ideas, but I just saw your kitchen, and that will be inspiring me! Love your style so much!

Egretta Wells blog said...

Lots of good ideas and inspiring photos. My eye goes directly to whatever little bit of color is in any of these rooms. I am a fan of white, but too much is pretty dull to me! In one photo, I couldn't see anything but the one green bottle with the greenery....my eye just seeks out the color! I love what I've seen of your house and will be waiting for your redo!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you already have some amazing pieces so maybe you just need to play around with what you have until you come up with something you love. It will be your own unique style and I know it will be amazing!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, I just love that first photo!!! I'd like to sink into that sofa with a good book and a glass of wine, or a cup of coffee or something!

Please keep your cotton sack and the ladder.

Cheryl Harper Textiles said...

Hi, I'm Cheryl at Compulsivespinner and I love and follow your site.
Hope you will do the same.
Thanks Cheryl Harper

Pamela Gordon said...

These are really great ideas for your living room and I'm sure whatever you do it will look wonderful. I'll be interested to see what you do.

Art and Sand said...

I want to comment on every room - all wonderful, but I will just agree with you on that room needing a pop of red. As a 'color' person, I think every room needs a pop of red.

Pendra said...

Yup, my head is spinning too! We've been in our new home since July and I've got most of the rooms painted, still need to finish the foyer and guest room on the main level. I've kept the paint color very neutral and will add color in the accessories, but I feel like there are toooo many ways to go and I can't seem to make a decision so it stays...undone! Looking for inspiration and HELP... but it only makes my head spin more! Too many lovely places and spaces and I want them ALL! So I'm watching your next move closely as I'm already in love with your style...buy hey, no pressure here!! hehehe!
Hugs,
Pendra

Barbara Jean said...

love it all!!

would be so hard for me to nail down exactly what I would want.
That's why I have a store with a bit of this and that, every room different. =)

blessings and so much fun!!

barb

Unknown said...

There's so much inspiration it's almost confusing, isn't it? I loved almost every photo you showed. In fact, I think I may need to pin a few of those. Good luck to you!

Debra@CommonGround said...

so much great inspiration in these beautiful images! I too love me a camel back sofa! can't wait to see what you come up with!

Junkchiccottage said...

Thank you so much my sweet blogger friend for featuring my family room. That room has been flipped into the dining room that use to be the living room.... anyway I am hoping to finish the flip of rooms this week end and post pictures. I am loving my new family room and dining areas. I love all the rooms you showed in this post. Thanks so much.
Kris

Pam said...

Love all of your ideas! The white is lovely. I also loved the blue canning jars (so pretty). I know whatever you do will be just beautiful!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

You have shared some wonderful inspiration...can't wait to see what you create!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much for sharing this inspirational post at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love all these ideas. You've got me thinking of changing some things in my living room too! Can't wait to see what you do!

Jody

Heide at ApronHistory said...

How fun! Everyone needs a good project to get one through the winter months.
Though I love the look of white on white, I do have to agree with you, needs a pop of color to really look homey and cozy.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Happy Re-Decorating!

Robinanne said...

Great blog! GReat ideas and photos. Just found you and "followed" so hope to see what you do next. I love to see all the other bloggers i follow on blogs I find...somehow we just seem to find those that interest us.
thegoodlife54.blogspot.com
Robin

Robin Johnson said...

WOW! That is alot to think about. I do know that you can never go wrong with a pop of red in the mix. LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...