Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Potting Bench for the Shabby Shed

Come with me. . .I have something to show you. . .


On our way, you might want to look once again at how we built the Shabby Shed. . . . and the story behind it. . . .Total cost. . . . $35!


Has it really been a whole year since we built this shed?. . . .How do the days go by so quickly? . . .We finished the shell of the building last summer. . . .and put together a potting table from a yard sale find. . . .That was about all the time we could spare. . . .We do have five acres of land and fourteen buildings to maintain. . . .Not much time for "playing". . . .


As I walked down our drive to the mail box--on a recent Spring day--it struck me that I rarely enjoy the blessings we have with the farm anymore. . . .It's not that I don't appreciate this legacy. . . .I do. . . .My mind is just too busy with keeping everything moving smoothly. . . .thinking ahead. . . .planning. . . .physical work, paper work, bills, phone calls, renovations, repairs.


On that particular morning it was breezy and sunny. . . .a beautiful day. . . .
The birds were singing--the wind was gently blowing through the trees. . . .
I could hear a tractor in the distance. . . .
I looked down at the gravel drive and suddenly I was transported back in time. . . .when I was growing up. . . .when I walked to the farm down gravel roads and enjoyed the silence of the day and the fragrance of
 cotton blooms. . . .


I loved going to the farm. . . .There was just something about it. . . .such a feeling of being a part of something bigger than my own little world. . . .yet, a peacefulness and a calm that's hard to explain. . . .I think I've said before that I relate to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind, when she picked up that handful of Tara Plantation soil and held it to the sky. . . .
I've thought about doing the same thing. . . .But, that's another story. . . .


Well, I decided that Spring day that there will always be a long list of things to do around here. . . .I should do a little playing along the way. . . .After all, people pay money to come here and enjoy our way of life. . . .why shouldn't I?


This past weekend I had a few extra hours to do just that. . . .We didn't go junkin' away from the farm. . . .I went junkin' AT the farm. . . .


The result? . . . .A small potting area at the Shabby Shed. . . .
It's nothing fancy by any means. . . .I feel most at home with rustic farm style. . . .Plain & Simple. . . .After all, making-do was the norm. . . .not the exception. . .




Baby bed springs stored in the Widner barn by someone(?) makes a handy place for tools, seeds packets and such. . . .A great place to dry herbs, too. . .






The table below is small. . .but, enough room for me to work. . . .We bought it for $5 at a yard sale. . . .added a wider top with palette wood. . . .See A Typical Day for photos of that transformation. . . .


Found the white bowl and bee skep in Our Old Country Store. . . .The bowl has a little crack in it but will work just fine. . . .I love this bee skep. . . .tempted to take it indoors. . . .



Below the table. . . .pots and a watering can are handy. . .
Shovels and hoes within reach. . . .




The sun comes up on this side of the shed. . . .goes down on the opposite (of course). . . .The afternoons are shaded by the roof and catch any breeze coming our way. . . .a place of solitude. . . .of unwinding. . . .of reflection. . . .and now a place to "play". . . .


I love it! With the addition of a couple of vintage farm chairs, John and I can enjoy some time in the shade, looking out over the fields and bayou. . . .and I can start working on an herb garden for the log cabin. . . .You know me. . . .I'll be adding and tweaking and "making-do" all summer long. . . .Please do come back again!

Oh!. . . .I need to add one last thing before you go. . . .

Anytime

Don't forget. . . .
Country Whites Weekend starts this Friday, May 17!
Hope to see you there!

. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .

30 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

That is so sweet and beautiful. I love the potting area you made at the Shabby Shed. It looks perfect and so full of lovelies. I love the wire basket with the old pots. Adorable.
Kris

Mary Ann said...

This was a good post, with great pictures, that makes me want to read more! Love the way you made the garden vignette out of material you already had!

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

I love your potting table area .. just makes you smile !

Down Blueberry Lane said...

I love this post. Everything says HOME!! Great pictures. -Susie

Simply Shelley said...

What a wonderful fun outdoor space....I know you are enjoying your shed.....blessings

Pamela Gordon said...

I love love love it!! So cute. I was thinking of doing something similar but we get so much rain here that the table and things wouldn't do well in the wet. However, I could fix up an area in the garage. Hmmmm. You to me thinking. I love all the elements you've added here. Did you make your signs? Have fun and enjoy the country air, peace and quiet. Hugs, Pamela

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Fantastic....I just love the kinda throw together look....that is what a potting table should look like!

Unknown said...

I love it! I come from a similar background and feel the same way about rediscovered treasures around the property. At my grandparents' house and my mom's there were always items that were saved for "something" just waiting to be given a new job. I spent a day last weekend scrounging and cleaning up things to decorate our new front porch and while my husband griped about that not being "on the list" many people have commented on how nice it looks and I had so much fun doing it - sometimes you just have to give up the "list" and go with it - that's part of the best of country life!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lovely! I can almost feel that breeze blowing and the hum of the tractor in the background.
I was just thinking on finding a potting bench for my sister. She is always "tweaking" plants.

Old Time Cindy said...

Glad you took the time to play with some pretties in the great outdoors. Looks great! I'm still collecting wood to make my special sittin' spot.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, how lovely. And I know exactly what you mean about that feeling that comes over you.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I gotta remember where you live. We travel very near that area (I155 and I55) regularly when we're vistin' the kids. Was just there on Sunday, in fact.

Dawn said...

What a darling potting area you created:) Love all the pics:)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

A very fun potting bench vignette. Love the crib spring, the jars, and the chair with enamelware pot.

cynthia lee designs said...

One should always take time to play. Love the potting bench! Love the wire basket and old pots too!
hugs,
Cindy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I know that farm life is a lot of work. You just make it look so easy. lol! Love your new little potting spot. I have a bench that I keep up against the house for shade. Can't wait till I have my little shed to prop it up against. I love the bed springs. Hubby and I looked for one to hang in my craft room when we were in ID. Haven't found one yet, but found something pretty cute at T.J. Maxx. Not vintage, but made to look like it. Love your farm style!
hugs,
Jann

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I love your quaint shed and potting table! I too am a farm lover. My uncle owned the old farm and many, many acres of land where he was born in the 1800's. Not sure exactly how old it was and it wasn't a working farm any more, but all the out buildings were still there and he'd rent pasture and barn space to area animals - usually cows and horses. One of my favorite activities was to take a long walk after dinner with my aunt and uncle up the long gravel road that went up hill, and stand at the top, looking down at the farm. There's something comforting to me about the sound of gravel under foot or under tires. Others complain that it's bumpy. I think it's awesome! Hugs, Leena

Pam said...

What a sweet post, the photos are so pretty and I love your potting area! I spent part of yesterday repotting plants.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

VERY pretty !:)

Dewena said...

We still haven't prettied up our potting bench for this season and your pictures have motivated me. I also agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts during your walk for the mail. So important.

Pamela said...

I enjoy decorating on and around my potting bench too. I enjoyed your post, such inspiration for me.

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Such a sweet post, I love the little potting shed.... nothing more country & quaint than life on the farm.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Cheryl
zany-mayd.blogspot.com

Debra@CommonGround said...

Glad you were able to create this wonderful little spot. Having a potting area is what every gal needs. Your farm sounds just amazing!

One Shabby Old House said...

I grew up on a farm and I think every barn, shed, chicken coop and grainbin became my shabby shed. We are lucky girls. I wouldn't trade one single day of farm life and the memories I have for anything. Your post took me down memory lane. I love how everything came together for you. It looks like home!
Hugs
Becky

Cathy said...

I am jealous, love the shed. I live on a golf course so don't think that is allowed.

Cathy's Cupboard Calamity <:)

Little Susie Home Maker said...

You need to take time for breathing in the air, and enjoying what's around you. Life definitely gets busy. Your little Shabby Potting Shed is going to be such a nice place for you to stop, slow down and take things in. I am happy for you. Beautiful story and pictures.
Blessings,
Susie

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Such a charming vignette~ thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

Attic Clutter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Attic Clutter said...

pretty pretty (:)

Attic Clutter said...

really a darling space(:)
anyone would like to come to..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...