Friday, December 6, 2013

The Memory Box. . .

 Did you have a Memory Box growing up?
A place to keep special memories?
I had one.
 
Long before Mom  went off to college to meet my Dad,
she had a Hope Chest--made of cedar--costing my Grandfather $32.
I know because the price is still marked inside the lid.
 
 
The story goes that another cedar chest was part of the deal. . .
a smaller version of the Hope Chest.

Mom filled the larger Hope Chest with treasures for her future home.
It was in college that she met her husband--my Dad--
and all her 'hopes' came true.
She received her 'M-R-S' degree when
they married in 1947.
 
Four years later, I came along. . . .
 I'm sure you've guessed the rest--
about the Memory Box, that is. . . .
 
 
It's been in my life ever since. . . 
has held everything from doll clothes to my college beanie. . . .
family mementoes and silly little things that I couldn't part with for some reason.
Things like a tiny plastic elephant (I have no idea why I kept it but it's cute),
an ink pin with a chick floating around in the clear plastic,
and a miniature harmonica (Again, I have no idea. . . .)
 
As I added memories over the years, I had to make decisions
many times on what to keep. . . .Sometimes it was painfully hard.

 
I have the little cedar chest to this day.
It now holds a permanent collection. . . .
memories of my Grandparents, Parents, Aunts and Uncles.
Among other things are
Mom's first glasses at age 3,
A patch from Daddy's Navy uniform,
Grandmother's lacy handkerchief that she always carried to church,
Granddaddy's tie clip--the one he wore with his three piece suit,
Granny's well-worn pincushion,
and a fishing lure from Pop's extensive collection. . .
nothing of real value. . . .except to me.
 
 
I bet you think this is my little cedar chest, don't you?
It's not. . . .
but, it IS a Memory Box--the dimensions and style copied from my own.
 
A lucky little girl will be receiving it this Christmas--
a gift from her Great Grandmother--
 to keep cherished memories throughout her growing years--
and as a reminder of how much she is loved.


With a few additions of her own, this loving Great Grandmother
is leaving a legacy. . .the same as Mom left for me.
 
Family--Memories
The circle of Love continues.
 
 
 Crafted and embellished as the
 'Great Grandmother' envisioned
by John and Dru

On a very different note, Old Man Winter has arrived.
We're right smack dab in the middle of the Winter Storm
 that's spreading across the country. . .freezing rain, sleet, and snow later. . . .
So far, our electricity is still on. . . .but more freezing rain is on its way.

We spent two days preparing for this storm and are in good shape.
My disappointment is that I may not be able to finish and publish
the two Christmas posts I'm working on. . . .
In fact, I had a different post planned for today
but no time to finish it in this little window of internet access.
(. . .sigh. . .)
A minor adjustment in the larger scheme of things.


Hopefully, you're not experiencing the same  weather where you live,
 but if Old Man Winter IS visiting you with this massive storm,
please stay indoors, warm and safe . . .It's nasty out there!

We'll be in touch soon. . . .I hope. . . .
 
 . . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .


 


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Dru, what a treasure you have. Passing the same sediment onto your Grands is such a meaningful thing to do.

My son made me a cute little wood box in shop when he as in high school. I think I will start preparing it for his daughter to become a treasure from her Gramma. Thanks for the great idea.

Oh. . . are we having the weather here in Montana. . . I have been hunkered in for 4 days due to negative temps. It is forcing me to get some unfinished projects done. I even started reading my Frannie Farmer cookbooks to get some ideas for *new* Christmas treats.

Stay warm and safe. . .
~Debi

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Your Memory Box is beautiful! We had memory boxes growing up, inadvertently. Nothing as nice as yours, but a box where one could keep special things. I think my special things have out grown a small box now!
A little girl is going to be very excited on Christmas....

Marlene said...

What a wonderful gift to give your great granddaughter. It will grow more special to her over the years. We are just now getting freezing weather it was 15degrees this morning. This is cold for Portland, OR

cynthia lee designs said...

Beautiful memory box!! We got 6 inches of snow and some ice here. Ugh...they are calling for more ice on Sunday.
hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

That memory box is a very special one indeed! It's lovely and looks as if it is just waiting to care for the treasures it will hold.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a lovely post, Dru. The beautiful memory box that you'll be giving to your great granddaughter will no doubt be one of her most cherished treasures. My husband is building a toy barn (he's not a carpenter and would have preferred to buy a finished barn) for our 2 year old grandson. He's going to wood burn a message to Mack on the bottom and if it survives his childhood, I hope it will pass to the next generation.

Your home looks magical in the snow! I have to go back to look again! Enjoy the season!
Vickie

lms said...

hi there…..I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog……you have some wonderful talent…..love that box....I just added your blog to my blog list because I have recently been changing my style from primitive to what I call earthy comfy casual….I still have that love for prim’s and have a few girlfriends that I share their homes on my blog for my prim friends…..but as you can see in my header…my home is a work in progress…and as I love to decorate it is forever changing…hope you will stop by and see how I am doing…..

On a Wing and a Prayer said...

Beautiful! just Beautiful!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I haven't been by for a while so I have been catching up on some of your old posts. Some of them show a hint of primitive country with the farmhouse country! Love your style!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

O.k. now I have a little mini treasure chest I got with my big cedar chest. It doesn't look cute like yours, now how come? lol! Love it! I think I need to dress mine up!
hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...