Monday, May 20, 2013

A Trio of Simple "Cloches"

Good Morning, Everyone!
How was your weekend? It's feeling like summer here. Looks like we skipped over most of Spring and are headed into hot humid days. . . .

I got up with the sun this morning. . . .Put my laundry out on the line first thing.


I'm working on a Summer bedroom, so a few things I'm just airing out. . . .taking up winter rugs. . . .and heavy covers. . . I'll give you a little sneak peek of the change over. . . .


That's all you get for now. . . .I'm leaning toward Plain & Simple. . . .In winter there's heavy drapes on the windows, rugs on the floor, lots of quilts and cover. . . .That's ok for winter, but by this time of the year, I'm more than ready for something that's simple and without clutter. . . .We'll see what I come up with. . . .

Meanwhile, in the keeping room, I've been playing around with a few cloche ideas. . . .How I wish I could afford the real ones--those bell shaped beauties. . . .I'd love to have one in every size. . . .Instead, I took on the "make-do" attitude, went to the cupboards and found. . . .

 A vintage jar. . . .


A crystal apple. . . .


A water pitcher. . . .


A thrift store find, John's cookie jar, Mom's vintage "Kool-Aid" pitcher. . . What an unlikely trio for cloches. . .But, hey--it works for me!

I love putting the unlikely together. . . .Stir things up a bit.


My home ec teacher most certainly would not have given me an A on this one. . . ."Don't mix formal with every day". . . .As much as I loved my home ec teacher, I disagreed even back then--to myself. 

Times have changed. . . .I'm so glad.


I love the mixing of old with new, crocks with crystal, every day with Sunday best. . . .

Let's face it. . . .Our lives are lived very differently from those days. . . .I enjoy the freedom of a more relaxed style. . . .


I'm not sure I should be calling these cloches. . . .According to the definition, they are suppose to be bell shaped. . . .I haven't a glass bell of any kind in the house! These out-of-the-cupboard finds are my substitutes. . . .


Years ago, when I was a lot younger and less informed on the use of cloches, a friend sent me a beautiful, hand-blown one. . . .I had no idea what to do with it. . . .Not sure what happened to it, but I can tell you this, I could kick myself for not keeping it. . . .I think about that gift every time I see so many beautiful ones on the net. . . .We live and learn, don't we?

Well. . . .hopefully we do. . . .


I'm loving these make-do cloches just as much. . . .definitely in farmhouse style!


This project completed, it's back to the bedroom for me. . . .I'll be sharing that with you soon!
Just need a little more tweaking. . . .


. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .


34 comments:

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love your glass apple! I wouldn't of thought of putting dishes inside glass containers, but I like the look!
Happy Decorating! Can't wait to see the bedroom

P.s. It is summer here too! Which is good for painting! :)

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love what you did with what you had--very 'cool' and unique--who wants to be like everyone else!!
love the jar with the silver lid and the tea cups inside--great idea.
hugs, di and miss gracie

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I think they are fabulous cloches!! You thought "outside the box"! Gorgeous!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

You did it again. Great vignette!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love it! You don't have to own a real cloche to get the idea of one at all. I think yours are creative and look very pretty. And you had fun doing it too! Hugs, Pamela

cynthia lee designs said...

What a great idea for a cloche! They are so pretty!!
hugs,
Cindy

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

these are beautiful.
Home Ec teachers, I think, taught lots of things that were "weird" to us then. But now they make sense.
I love seeing the everyday with fancy out and together. It is a pleasant surprise!

I've got lots of the same to do around my home, to lighten it up for the next few months. I'm thinking of rolling up some rugs myself!

Enjoy! Pat

Robyn said...

I love what you did with what you had.. Im living the same way.. Making do with what I have.. I especially love the jar with the cups in them. :)

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I really like your thinking outside of the box -it creates a very nice mix.

Diane said...

I love your jars and pitcher used for cloches! They make such pretty vignettes with your dishes and recipe books.

Blondie's Journal said...

I actually like glass containers over cloches...I'm never sure what to arrange under them! The first jar with the teacups in it reminds me of a ship in a bottle...I can't figure out how you fit those in there! But it all looks very pretty!

Lightening up myself, especially the bedroom. I love the breeze blowing in through sheer curtains and flowers on my sheets and quilts. Your right, we skipped over spring!

XO,
Jane

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love your pretty make do cloches and creative spirit. They work so well in your gorgeous home!
Patti

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

These are beautiful! I like your make do attitude!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Hey, those look great!! Hee hee, you always have such an interesting way of putting things together that just look so perfect! I think you should help me out with my house, haha!! Yes, I have got rid of things and now think, what a sad thing I didn't understand at the time what I had!!
Can't wait to see your bedroom.
Hugs and blessings,
Susie

Unknown said...

Just beautiful...your photos give me such a homey, warm feeling....of time slowing down, a gentle breeze blowing, quilts on the bed and the creak of a rocking chair.....thanks for sharing...:)

Unknown said...

Your homemade cloches are great. I recently found a glass domed covered cheese tray. The round base is wood. I'm planning on crackle painting the base and adding little wooden ball feet painted to match -- tada! Another homemade cloche.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Such a neat idea to use the jar for a cloche, love the cups in it!

Barbara Jean said...

great ideas, and all so fun!

blessings
barb

chateau chic said...

Fun, fun, fun! I love your make-do cloches. They're perfect for your pretty china!!
Mary Alice

Pam said...

All are beautiful but I really like the apple. I can't wait to see your room re-do. I have been doing the same thing, complete with a hand painted (that I painted) headboard hung on the wall as a quilt rack.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Down Blueberry Lane said...

I like a lot. I too would like to find a cloche or two. Hopefully I'll get lucky at a yard sale this summer :) I really like the pitcher cloche. Looking forward to seeing the spring bedroom. -Susie

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your take on cloches. A great way to use what one has..perfect. I of course could not help but notice the beautiful vintage sheets hanging on the line:-) It is a serious addiction for me. LOL
blessings, jill

Old Time Cindy said...

Hmmm...I have a glass apple very similar to yours...somewhere...LOL! I've used it for lots of things and may have to find it again. Great idea!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Lorrie said...

I think your cloche inventions work wonderfully! So creative.

JP said...

Your cloches are so sweet and I have the same cookbook...The Way to a Man's Heart...it was my mother's and I've always treasured it!
Thanks for reminding me to put it out where I can see it. It has been tucked away since we moved!

Jeannie said...

I love the unusual containers with tea cups in them. I feel inspired.

Sarah said...

Very clever! I just might be able to participate in a cloche party now. '-)

srpprcrftr said...

I think your idea of cloches is great, who says they aren't? Think how you put glass objects together is great, good imagination, looks very pretty.
I too wanted a cloche for long time but couldn't afford one. Then I came upon a 1/2 off sale at Hobby Lobby for their glass stuff, oh baby, I got a nice sized cloche for $17.50. I'd sure never pay $35 for one but I could justify $17.50 to myself. They have the sale on glass stuff at least once a month. I have my cloche so I'm happy now.
I also saw on a blog where somebody took part of a lamp and put a glass knob on top, works great. I found a part of a lamp also and did same thing, glued the knob on and it looks pretty cute. Think it cost me about $3.00 total. Like that price even better. Keep on being so imaginative with what you have, it's awesome and to me much more fun.

Unknown said...

I so love what you did with the clear glass pitcher, so wonderful!
I am inspired, thanks so much.

Dawn said...

Beautiful vignettes. I have always said, everything looks great under glass. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin's BUDGET DECORATING PARTY.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I think they are absolutely perfect for your sweet farmhouse style. I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Love your creativity. Drooling over that old jar! Can't wait to see the bedroom. Nothing like fresh laundry from the line. Wish I had a clothesline. Think I may need to add one. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

One Shabby Old House said...

I got a chuckle with the mention of your Home Ec. teacher saying not to mix formal with everyday. ha ha. we are just breaking all the rules these days aren't we and look how lovely it turned out for you!

Jeannie and Linda said...

I love your pretty cloches! How creative! My favorite is the pitcher with the little birdie! Hey I think I have a cloche just like that!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Linda at The French Hens Nest

Pendra said...

I'm loving your homemade cloches! I have to admit I'm kind of a cloche junkie and have been lucky to find pieces I mix and match from thrift stores and like you love my more relaxed farmhouse style as well!
Hugs,
Pendra

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...