Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's A Natural


 . . . . .It's Cotton Pickin' Time here at the Farm. . . . .
which means it's Cotton Pickin' Time for the Farmhouse.

Every year I think I might run out of Cotton stalks for decorating, and I head for the fields to grab more. I've never had that problem, but a person never knows. . . .
 
I threw a few stalks in a basket. . . .added some mini bales, a folk  Daisy cow, cotton carder, tin candle holder and a  burlap runner to the table. . . .It's not Fall around here without Cotton everywhere. . . .








This year, I'm thinking about Cotton even more than usual because I have based the palette
for my Plain & Simple Farmhouse Style on the colors of Cotton--
white, neutrals, and black--


with touches of "denim" blues here and there. I really love the way the colors are blending in the kitchen--they're comforting. . . .calming. . . .relaxing. . . . .
Whites and neutrals also lend a wonderful background for style and color changes. . . .


I was pleasantly surprised when I learned this week that Cotton has been gaining popularity 
in the floral and crafting industry throughout the country. . . .
I've been decorating with cotton all my life--but then, I would, since it's right in my back yard. . . .
I'm so glad to hear that others are seeing decorating possibilities in it, too. . . . 

A quick check at Etsy revealed several stores that carry Cotton based items. . . .One of my favorites was Tall Cotton-n-Peas.  . . She has some amazing bridal bouquets. . . but what I loved most were the wreaths. . . .







Beautiful, aren't they? 

The whites and neutrals of Cotton are so versatile. . . .When you think about it, the texture
and interest it adds would compliment many decorating styles. . . . Shabby Chic. . . .or the Romantic Farmhouse Style. . . .or Country Decor. . . .or Primitive Style. . . . .


So, What do you think?
Could Cotton be a Natural in your home?

You don't have to go out in a field and pick it. . . .
 Here are a few stores on the Net that specialize in Cotton florals, decor and supplies. . . .
This isn't a paid ad. . . .I found them, liked what I saw, and am now sharing with you. . . .
Tall Cotton-N-Peas
Floral Cotton
Cotton Man
Country Rustic Weddings

 

from my cotton pickin' farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

*******************************************

U. S. Cotton Facts. . .
A bale of cotton weighs about 500 lbs.

U. S. textile mills will spin almost 3 million bales of cotton this year.
That's enough cotton to make more than 600 million pairs of men's jeans
 and more than 2 billion men's dress shirts.

One bale of cotton can make: 215 Pairs of Jeans; 249 Bed Sheets; 409 Men's Sport Shirts; 690 Terry Bath Towels; 765 Men's Dress Shirts; 1,217 Men's T-Shirts; 1,256 Pillowcases; 2,104 Pairs of Boxer Shorts; 2,419 Pairs of Men's Briefs; 3,085 Diapers; 4321 Mid-Calf Socks; 6,436 Pairs of Women's Knit Briefs; 21,960 Women's Handkerchiefs; 313,600 $100 Bills.

Sources of information; USDA ERS, FAO, EPA, USDA Census of Ag 

**********************************************

I'm sharing this post with: * Show & Tell Friday * Simple & Sweet Fridays * Feathered Nest Friday * Home Sweet Home * Vintage Inspiration  *Tweak It Tuesday *

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, such cuteness. I love your displays with cotton!!! I never would have thought using them would be so cute.

I loved your stats on a bale of cotton...of course I really noticed the 249 sheets;-) Oh if I could afford a bale of cotton and have it all made into sheets. I would probably to passing down sheets/fabric to my great great grandkids. I am not kidding either. I have no idea where I would store all that fabric/sheets, but oh just the thought;-)

blessings, jill

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Well you should already know that I LOVE this! I remember "years" ago, when I first married, country was really in, and I had cotton everywhere! I have been threatening to stop on the side of the road and pick me some to put in my big ole cotton basket, but my concious just won't let me do it without asking the owner. Oh, how I love this!

The Boston Lady said...

I had no idea that cotton was in "paper" money! Your cotton decorating is beautiful and I love the poofy, white of the cotton against the dark brown of it's pod and stem. So, so pretty. Those wreaths are very nice too. Ann

Gail said...

OMGoodness, I LOVE your display of cottons! I need to make a trip down South for cotton. Thanks for sharing and all the beautiful inspiration. Enjoy your day, Gail

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Dru, I have never seen raw cotton used in vignettes until I started following blogs. It's not a northern thing at all. I sure think it's fun though.

Cranberry Morning said...

I love all the cotton decorations and vintage items. So beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a cotton plant in person!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I love the look of your cotton bunches! I would certainly decorate with it and now I know where to get it too! Thanks for the links.

Salmagundi said...

Enjoyed this post so much! I've been fascinated with cotton forever; but, alas, it just isn't grown in Colorado. Thanks for the list of vendors - I'll be checking them out. Sally

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The cotton stalks are so pretty. I love them in your basket. Love the wreaths too.

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow that is a beautiful display. Love it. The natural cotton is really different. I have never seen this either but love it.
Kris

Debra@CommonGround said...

Nature always wins out with me, love the wonderful cotton theme, just beautiful!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Love your cotton...it is really quite lovely! Wish we had a field of it behind us...we'd be putting it all over our homes as well....we've got corn and beans...which are fine for fall decorating...but we are really diggin' this cotton look ~ so thanks for the links! Looks like a night of "shopping" is in order ~ lol!!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Dru. The cotton makes the prettiest centerpiece. Your old basket with the cotton seen against the pie safe is exciting. I love it..Happy Thursday..Judy

Old Time Cindy said...

That is such a nice natural element to add to your decor. No cotton around here so I've never even thought about using it before.

Barbara F. said...

I loved this post, as I attended the Southern Bloggers' Conference in NC this weekend, and saw cotton plants in an arrangement for the first time. I would love to get something from one of the sites you mentioned. I have to check them out. xo

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh...I just love your Aautumn post. I lived in the south for 13 years and wish I had brought some of the cotton from the field with me out west. Your display is so beautiful...One of the prettiest and most original I've seen this Fall.
Thanks for sharing...and, oh, by the way...Your blueware is simply wonderful.
Blessings, my sweet friend,
Carolynn

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your Fall gathering with the cotton...so pretty!! I was on a blog yesterday that had a beautiful cotton display, but I can't remember who's blog it was.
~Cindy

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Just beautiful Dru! I have been thinking lately how pretty it would be to have some natural cotton like that, and then here I see your post! Great timing! I will go check out those links. Thanks so much for that information. I would love the way it looks in an arrangement!
Blessings,
Susie

Olive said...

Hi Dru, cotton is part of the fabric of my life too. No pun intended. I was raised in S.C. and now am in middle Ga. both areas full of cotton fields. I have a Clorox bottle across from me right now filled with cotton. Your arrangement is charming. Great post, Olive

craftyles said...

I love your table vignette. The cotton wreaths are just beautiful and would go with all kinds of styles.

chateau chic said...

You have created a wonderful vignette on your table with your cotton. It looks beautiful in the old basket. The tones and textures are perfect for Fall decor.
Mary Alice

Audrey said...

Love your cotton vignette with all you beautiful farmhouse things. Cotton burs are pretty too. I have some old and pretty tattered cotton bolls on display in the garage. I may see if I can use them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful decor.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless Treasures

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Now how come I didn't realize that you actually grew cotton? That is awesome! I have loved the bits of cotton that I have spied in some of your posts. Just thought you had bought it somewhere. Who knew that you could go out and pick it right in your own back yard. Oh you're living my dream life girl!
Hugs,
Jann

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi there,
I really enjoyed your stats on the use of cotton. Your cotton vignette is really charming and I absolutely love those bursts of whit fluffy cotton! Love the cotton puffs in the wreaths too! Thank you for sharing. It's a very fun post. Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

My Dream Canvas said...

This is beautiful. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.

Lululiz said...

What a delightful way to decorate your home, I am really smitten with the cotton. What a pity that I can't find cotton growing in the UK or France, I might just have to take a look at the internet shops you mentioned. So glad I came over from Feathered Nest Friday at the French Country Cottage.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, beautiful cotton!
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Laura said...

Oh this made me long for the days when I was in elementary school.
My father was a cotton farmer in South Texas and I can even remember going out into the field when it was still picked by hand.

I have been dying for some stalks just like yours. and I agree about the colors being perfect as a background for any style.

Thank you for the resources.

I am a new follower and I enjoyed visiting so much!

Laura
White Spray Paint

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

How gorgeous!!! This is beautiful!
♥Linsey

Unknown said...

Love your blog....Please join me at www.vintageonadime.blogspot.com for Welcome Home Wednesday....I am a new blogger THANKS!!!! Debbie:)

The Charm of Home said...

Love, love this cotton theme!! Great table centerpiece! Great job!
Sherry

Katherine said...

I love your cotton used as decor! I recently made a wreath from cotton stalks. I think cotton is beautiful and it symbolizes my home and heritage. I would love for you to share your cotton decor at my party!
http://kraftykat76.blogspot.com/2012/10/gettin-krafty-with-it-halloween-eve.html

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful cotton centerpiece on SImple & Sweet Fridays. Happy Halloween!

Jody

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...