Monday, December 31, 2012

Green the Whole Year Round



". . .of all the flowers in the forest
and all trees that do abound,
The one's that please my heart the most
Are green the whole year round." *



Maybe it's my Celtic roots. . . .or, maybe it's that I can't quite let go of that holiday spirit for the dark, dull days of winter ahead. . . .

When it comes time to take down the Christmas tinsel and glitter, I just can't part with my Winter Greens. In fact, I take the time to jump in my 1983 Chevy truck and run up and down these rural roads, looking for as many different winter greens as I can find. . . . .like a scavenger hunt. . . .It's one of my favorite things to do between Christmas and the New Year. . . .


"Green the whole year round,
Green the whole year round.
The Holly Yew and the Ivy Tree,
Are green the whole year round." *

Abandoned houses--or where houses once sat--are a good place to "shop". . . .I can imagine a loving farm family living in the old tenant house--and a Mom tending her gardens--making a home for her family.

I can see the farm children, laughing and playing--maybe playing hide-and-seek in the thick foliage of the evergreen bush.  

I can hear the farmer Dad, fussing because he has to mow around so many flower beds and greenery in the summertime.

The families are all gone now. . . .but the evergreen bushes and trees still stand. . . .



With all the bad weather we've had since Christmas, I had to settle this year--so far--on some limbs of a lone cedar at an old homeplace not far from us. . . .It's limbs were badly broken, where part of an oak tree had fallen on it. . . .But, it's still green and living--in spite of it's brokenness. . . .

Reminded me of life. . . .and of why I love bringing evergreens inside during the winter days. . . .


Same reason I spread an old cotton pick sack across the table underneath the cedar, with the name of it's long ago owner written across one end. . . ."Mary Jean George"


"Memories of other days come tumbling from the past.
To remind us, like the seasons do
That life goes by so fast." *

It's the end of another year. . . .The seasons have all come and gone again. . . .There's been good times--and a few bad. . . .We've gained a few more loved ones--and have lost others who were so dear. . . .

My mind is filled with memories this time of year. . . .Life does go by so fast. . . .ever changing. . . .Somehow the evergreens comfort me into a happy contentment as I gaze at them placed around my kitchen. . . . Life. . . .Hope. . . .Promise. . . .Green the whole year round. . . .


Now that another year is beginning. . . .
Maybe we should take a lesson from that cedar.
Life is continuous . . . .
so, let's embrace and live it to the fullest,
no matter how many oak trees fall on us. . . .


And, if you think evergreens are the only green to be found in the farmhouse this time of year, feast your eyes on these beauties. . . .


John says only Scot-Irish blood could love these socks! Well, maybe that's true. . . .They've certainly danced a few jigs in their lifetime. . . .They're my personal contribution to Winter Greens, you might say--and so much FUN!



Wishing You many Blessings in the coming months. . . .
 Happy New Year!!!

from my farmhouse to yours. . . .

*"Green The Whole Year Round"  from Celtic Women. Written by David Downes and Shay Healy

27 comments:

Anne said...

I LOVE your touches of green!We need a little life in our homes during these dreary winter months! Cute socks!
Happy New Year!!
xx
Anne

Old Time Cindy said...

Perfect post to start the new year. And crazy socks! LOL! I have a few pairs myself!
Happy New Year and farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Wishing you health, happiness and living your dreams in the New Year!

Jody

Simply Shelley said...

I am surrounded by winter greens outside my door while living among the East Texas pines,and some ceder too,still I clip a gathering to bring indoors each year during the Christmas season. Its a lovely post you have left us today...along with some very wise sentiment. I love how you display your greens,but the picture of your stocking feet has to be my favorite :) Blessings on your new year.

Jeannie said...

Such a delightful and romantic article. I must rush out and find some greens right now.

Julie Marie said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt post to end the year with... wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year... filled with only good things and many of life's special blessings, xoxo Julie Marie

Egretta Wells blog said...

I dearly love those rolling pins mixed in with the greenery in your big crock...so pretty! Such a wonderful idea to bring in the greenery...it won't be long until new buds of Spring appear and spot-lighting winter greenery is such a pretty thing to fill in the gap. Love it! Happy New Year, Egretta

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to your posts in the upcoming year.

Ruby and Arthur said...

I love fresh greenery, too. We just can't get enough nature this time of year! Blessings, Jean

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love your greenery, Dru. I guess I have quite a few houseplants but no greenery after Christmas.

Barbara Jean said...

Love the evergreens and how you have them tucked here and there.

And the sentiment of it all too.

lovely post.

blessings
barb

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the greenery!! And your socks too...LOL!!! I had just mentioned to my mom today that I wanted some greenery for winter to go in the big dough bowl on my dining room table.
Happy New Year!!
~Cindy

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

Great greenery ideas my favorite was the rolling pins.
Denise

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Dru!
What a festive touch! I love the greens you've added...They look so rustic and remind me of the Juniper that we have growing in our region.

I love the cotton picking bag you have laid out for your arrangement to rest on. I found a nice tool carrier while thrifting and am looking forward to painting it for a centerpiece on my farmtable.

We lived in East Tennessee for 13 years and loved Scots-Irish music and clogging. We went to concerts and performances as often as possible.

Thank you for all your lovely posts throughout this past year. Your blog is the epitome of excellence!

Blessings, my friend and a Happy New Year.
Carolynn xxx

chateau chic said...

When everything seems so bare inside and out, fresh greenery adds the perfect touch!
Mary Alice

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Oh my - the greens w/ the rolling pins are amazing. Nothing like greens to make winter decorating come to life!

Anita Diaz said...

Oh I just love, love your blog!! I'm with you bringing the green in also. It really brightens up winter!!

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful post! I love the poem and your pictures of the greens you use in your home. Green reminds us of life even in winter when nature is sleeping. Blessings. Pamela

Unknown said...

Your winter greens are lovely and the socks so fun. I loved the greenery I used at Christmas but they dried out and dropped needles so we had a little greenery burn in the backyard on New Year's Eve. I am using pinecones on our freshly painted kitchen hutch, but I am now inspired to find some fresh greens.

Linda said...

GORGEOUS words, sentiment and photos. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I came by way of your blog through Feathered Nest and am delighted to find you! Happy New Year!
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Fantastic post! Love your writing and I feel the same way about greens but I never thought about my Scottish roots having anything to do with my love of Christmas evergreens, although green is my favorite color. I love your crock filled with vintage goodness and I am inpsired to go treasure hunting for more greens now that my cuttings have all dried out.
Following along now!

Jennifer said...

I love all of the greenery! I left a bunch up in my winter decor too. I featured you today in my Friday I'm In Love favorites!

http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2013/01/friday-im-in-love-winter-edition.html

XOXO

Jenn @ Social Salutations

Unknown said...

I love the winter greens and totally agree with you, why would we want to get rid of these. I love all the areas you have found for your greens. Greens really make a home cozy. I am a new follower of your lovely blog.
Happy New Year
Michele

Pam said...

I really love the rolling pins and the greenery! So pretty!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh Dru, I love your Winter greens. Both the ones in your vignettes and your feet! I left all of my gathered greens from my FIL's home out on my porch. Couldn't dread to part with them yet. I have Rosemary and a few paperwhites in my kitchen window still. Now you make me want to gather greens to add to my rolling pins. Love your analogy with this post! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Debra@CommonGround said...

First of all Dru, LOVE the socks!!! so cute, and I agree, gotta have those greens in a tote, just a wonderful reminder of winter's beauty!

The Charm of Home said...

I love foundation plantings around old farmhouses. The houses in my childhood had wonderful plantings. To this day the memory of those plants are my favorite.
Sherry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...