Thursday, December 2, 2021

What A Prim And Proper Christmas Kitchen

 
Truly a prim and proper Christmas kitchen. . .and just the way so many Delta farmer's kitchen looked in the days of numerous tenant and farm houses up and down the gravel road that fronted our DUNCAN FARMSTEAD. . .If I ever buy another farmhouse to renovate and decorate, the kitchen will look much like this one. . .I'll hide all the modern conveniences and enjoy life during the early twentieth century. . .In fact, I have already sketched the plans. . . 


Isn't it simply charming?


Out of dozens and dozens of photographs of the White House Creations store in Bernie, Missouri, I chose the ones of Dottie's kitchen to share the last post for this year about her shop. . .for it is probably my favorite area to visit. . .It is so on target for the several houses I visited years ago where some of our farm workers lived. . .

Notice the long counter with cotton sacking curtains below. . .


Make-do shelves. . .sometimes made from wooden crates that the local groceries threw away. . .


Another long counter for the make-do sink area. . .








Water was drawn from an outside well. . .but sometimes lucky housewives had a pump hooked up in the kitchen, too. . .


More often than not, clean dishes sat drying beside the sink for the next meal. . .


And. . .always canned goods composed the main source of vegetables and fruit for the winter. . .

I love the added touches of Christmas. . .sprinkled around by Dottie and her loyal "elf" helpers (several local ladies who love to decorate). . .It is so festive with the greenery. . .the old-fashioned lanterns. . .gingerbread and such. . .I could easily enjoy sitting down at the table for a country Christmas dinner in this setting from the past. . .


Come to think of it, I don't have to buy another farmhouse to get a prim Delta kitchen. . .I just remembered we have two shotgun farmhouses that have not been finished on the interior and are open canvases for creating some farmhouse style rooms. . .I may get busy and put together another country kitchen in one of them such as this. . .One that I could actually use for special occasions. . .Wouldn't that be fun? . .I would also have the opportunity to buy more of Dottie's wonderful handmade furniture. . .Hmmmm. . ."Oh. . .John Dear. . .I have an idea. . ." (grin)

As always, I am obviously inspired by White House Creations. . .I hope you are, too. . .


If you didn't see and read the post at DUNCAN FARMSTEAD about her Christmas log cabin, don't wait another minute to go there! You can't miss this porch and the story behind it. . .


Find the details of where to visit White House Creations at: THE CHRISTMAS GATHERING

We wish Dottie and all her elves a very HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON. . .AND BLESSINGS FOR THE NEW YEAR. . .and MANY THANKS for her WONDERFUL SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. . .as we venture on next to our own COUNTRY FARM HOME CHRISTMAS. . .and some current farm style decor. . .See you there. . .in a day or two!




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...