Wednesday, December 8, 2021

DIY Christmas Family Tree

You've heard of family trees, I'm sure. . .but have you seen a Christmas family tree? . .There are a few around the blogs. . .but certainly not many. . .And I don't know why. .They are such an easy, fun project that always puts a personal touch on any tree. . .

I recently bought this small silver tinsel tree, reminiscent of the 1960s, at an antique store for $1. . .and thought and thought what decorations to use in keeping with the vintage style. . .Our living room this year is all about grays and whites with a little color thrown in here and there. . .I wanted to stick with neutrals for the tree. . .While bringing out decorations for other rooms, inside Grandmother's old Christmas tin I found small glass ball embellishments. I believe they were once used for corsages years and years ago. . .Perfect for the tree. . .

But it wasn't enough. . .


I thought for another day or two. . .You know how sentimental I am about family. . .Grandmother's glass ornaments teased my memories. . .


Then one morning it dawned on me. . .I had decorated a Christmas tree many years ago with tiny framed photos of the family. . .and me. . .and John. . .Took a few days to find and dust them off. . .The perfect size for our silver tree. . .What a JOY it has been, too. . .So personal and fitting for our Country Farm Home. . .


Of course, a family Christmas tree doesn't require images of the past. . .There are no rules. . .Just as there are no rules on how to frame or hang them. . .But I thought I would share my secrets with you to maybe get you on your way. . .


First I had to choose the photos. . .I reduced my choices to tiny images, as well as changing the color photos to black and white. . .Then I pasted them onto one page using Publisher software and printed them onto  a sheet of plain printer paper because I knew I would be framing them. . .If not framing, a heavier paper will be necessary. . You might consider textured paper as well. . .


After cutting out each image, I decided to use my Dad's old stash of color slide frames, sandwiching the photo with the slide matt and plain backing. . .then slipping it into the tiny frame. . .I'm not sure if you can still buy these, but it would be simple to make your own. . .cutting a matt, backing with cardboard, and framing around the square with silver craft tape.

A ribbon loop attached to the back finishes the ornament for hanging. . .

For variety, I simply placed the oblong prints into a small plastic bag, folded the excess over the back, and secured it with tape. . .adding a ribbon loop on one end. . .

Of course, for a super easy project, simply print out the photos any size you wish. . .punch a hole at the top. . .add a ribbon loop. . .and hang! There is really no end to the possibilities for crafting a family tree in your own style. . .

I hope I have encouraged you to add some personal touches to your tree this year. . .It has certainly filled our living room with the Joy of sharing Christmas with our family. . .past and present. . .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...