Sunday, December 12, 2021

Snowmen and Hot Chocolate Cookies


Christmas decorations and holiday cheer don't need to be expensive. . .It can be something as humble as dollar snowmen mugs. . .and a simple cookie and pudding recipe that adds up to WINTER FUN that brings smiles to the faces of young and old. . .I know because it sure brought a smile and a laugh from John. . .and he is well past his childhood. . .(grin)

It was because of these cute snowman mugs that I began noticing more SNOWMEN for decorating purposes this year. . .collecting a few at antique malls and thrift stores. . .They are easily found for a little pocket change these days. . .


Then I happened upon this SNOWMAN painted on a big pieces of corrugated rusty tin from someone's old barn roof at WHITE HOUSE CREATIONS. . .Now what could be more appropriate for our COUNTRY FARM HOME. . .especially since he favored those favorite mugs of ours. . .


I knew exactly where he would go, too. . .on the whitewashed barn wood door that hides our modern refrigerator from view. . .and I was right! . . .It fit perfectly. . .

I added the handmade broom, purchased years ago, thinking every snowman needed one. . .(For you DIYers, he would be easy to paint.)

Seeing him proudly displayed in our kitchen, my thoughts returned to earlier years, when I absolutely loved playing in the snow. . .including snowball fights with the next door cousins. . .Building several snowmen in our yards usually started the fight. . .It was all in fun. . .


I might be freezing. . .and unable to feel my toes or stop my teeth from chattering. . .but I never gave up and only went inside when Mom insisted. . .She often bribed me with the promise of HOT CHOCOLATE and COOKIES once I got all the cold wet clothes off and changed into something warm. . .Sitting in the big living room window, sipping the chocolate, I admired our snowmen creations and the white landscape all around them. . .secretly wanting to return outdoors because I knew here in the South, the snow wouldn't last long at all. . .


Unfortunately, I can no longer drink hot chocolate. . .or eat anything sweet or gluten. . .but John can and I have a tendency to spoil him with a dessert at every meal. . .He has such a sweet tooth. . .

The catch is. . .he often has to endure my endless stories like the winter experiences. . .(grin again). . .




It wasn't a big leap from gathering the snowman mugs and placing them on the baker's cabinet beside the painted snowman. . .to thinking about HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES and chocolate fudge pudding to go with it. . .The recipe I based them on is below, straight from the Jet-Puffed Marshmallow website. . .but I changed it a little for my cookies. . .I had no milk chocolate chips but I did find half a bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, which could symbolize the lumps of coal on the snowmen faces. . .Of course the marshmallows were "snowballs". . .I added a few more than the recipe called for. . .They toasted well and the resulting cookie also reminds us of S'mores. . .


They were a hit and totally enjoyed with the chocolate fudge pudding. . .The cookie jar is full and should keep John out of the fruitcake that isn't to be eaten until Christmas. . .A little diversion always helps. . .


It is hard to believe Christmas is so close. . .This holiday season is flying by fast. . .I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. . .Such a special time of the year. . . 


3 comments:

The Farmers Daughter said...

WHITE HOUSE CREATIONS is located in Bernie, MO. You can find information on their Facebook page!

Barb said...

I love your posts, so cozy and happy! Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking for one with marshmallows in it! Merry Christmas!

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Thank you for the cookie recipe. It sounds delicious! I have a small snowman collection and LOVE your tin one! So cute! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...