Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Real Country Kitchen

Remember the post Early Farm Kitchens?
Look what I found in some of Daddy's photos. . .
This is a real country kitchen--typical of the ones in the shotgun houses here on the farm. Brings back memories of my visits to several of those families during my early years. . .

Open shelves of canned goods, a kerosene lantern for light, eggs stored in a wire basket, oil cloth for the table.  Notice the ice pick hanging on the side of the ice box. . .

A wood burning cook stove, iron skillets, a Hoosier cabinet. Obviously, this kitchen had no electricity.

  
I have no clue how Daddy got these photos--whether he took them or not. If they came from any of you, please email me and let me know. I'd love to know the location of this house/museum.

In the meantime, we'll all just enjoy them. . .and the memories they may bring to mind. . .


I'm Sharing this post with: Rural Thursday

11 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

Basic and simple. Just enough to get the job done.

Beth said...

VERY cute! my mom has been coveting a hoosier cabinet for a long time. I showed this post to her and she loved it!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post of a simpler life in some ways ~ great photos ~ a treasure ~ ~ thanks, ^_^ (A CreativeHarbor)

Tanya Breese said...

oh i love these! isn't it funny how now we all try to imitate this look! i like that crisco ad too :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Such a cute kitchen - great pics!

Nancy said...

Our old farmhouse had a summer kitchen in the back (in the early years 1900's). I'd love to have one again. Loved the photos!

Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays. ox

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

This is so cute!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Unknown said...

Wow! That was almost like going back home to my childhood! You can't imagine the warmth I felt, seeing so many of the images similar to my mother's kitchen! Wonderful memories of that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love these photos!

Tonita said...

Love the historical pictures and information on your wonderful blog. I could spend hours and hours here.

Simply Handmade Farmhouse said...

Oh wow that is a real farmhouse kitchen..I would love to have one just like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...