Monday, May 14, 2012

Plans For The Keeping Room


As I've said before, I'm drawn to the primitive look of the 18th and 19th centuries, but when it came to renovating our keeping room, I hesitated using the drab colors of that time period--not because I don't like them. I do. But, the keeping room/kitchen is long and narrow.  The darker colors might make the room appear smaller.

I've always liked the lighter, whiter side of primitive decor that's so popular these days. But, how do I fit it into our keeping room that doubles as a pioneer settler's home during our workshops on open hearth cooking?

I thought for a long time on this. Finally, I hit upon an idea that makes me happy and fulfills our goals at the same time.

Since we're all about cotton, I'll base my color palette on those neutrals--white, browns, grays. The primitive cabinets that we'll move into the keeping room will get a white wash look to them, and I'll accent it all with the staples of a cotton farm--denim, burlap and unbleached feed sacks. While the pioneer woman of the early 19th century may not have used a white wash on her furniture, her grandchildren may have. I'll display the white ironstone for our daily use and change it out to red ware for our workshops. Pieces of pottery will fit in with either choice.

I was excited. . .and began to collect inspiration from many sources. . .

from Country Living and Country Home magazines (above). . .
from  A Fine Farmhouse
and Faded Charm Cottage
and French Country Cottage
and many others on the net.

 from: Karen Ledour at Old Timer's Mall in Missouri

from the look of old sheds like this one from Country Living magazine,

 and old weathered siding on a farm house along the road. . .

 from my own stash of denim

 and unbleached feed bags. . .

from my plans--years ago--to checkerboard the floor. 

The ideas just keep coming. . .
When will we start?

NOW!!!!!!!!
First a fresh coat of paint. . .
Then we'll move in the primitive cabinets and place them along the wall. . .

It feels so good to finally have a plan. Now, I'm motivated to complete the project.
I'll keep you posted on our progress. . .

Linking to:
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage 

6 comments:

Betty said...

I like these ideas a lot. it carries the cotton and farm theme of your home to a higher level. Good job!

Beth said...

wow this is very nice. I love old rustic decorating but i mostly shy from the darker, more plain colors. I like to add just enough pop of color to make it unique!

chateau chic said...

So much great inspiration! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your keeping room.
Mary Alice

One Shabby Old House said...

You have a great room to work with and I love all of your inspirational pictures. Enjoy every step of the way!
Becky

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos!
Can't wait to see the finished project.
Hugs,
Tam

Unknown said...

So much excellent inspiration! Awaiting seeing what you come up with for your maintaining room.

homeowners insurance tallahassee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...