Friday, April 20, 2012

Our Old Country Store


Thought I might let you peek inside our old country store museum. It's set up like a 1930s general store--or a company store--located on the cotton plantation. It's not only a store, but a post office and the office of the farm manager. This is where you'd come to borrow money, to get paid, to pick up your mail, to buy your groceries and personal items. It's also where you might learn the latest gossip or discuss the latest farming techniques. Or, maybe you'd enjoy a game of checkers or dominoes with your friends.


It was "the meeting place" and the hub of every farm.

I had lots of fun stocking our store for the tours last fall. Most of the items were donated by generous friends and neighbors or inherited from the family. My Dad was a pack rat like me, so there's an awful lot of his things displayed, as well as the entire Duncan and Magers family.



I'm beginning to pull out more boxes from the back. Soon the store will be covered up in packing paper and boxes again, as I go thought more treasures. 


 

So, I thought I'd show you a few photos of the way it's looked since last September, because after unpacking & rearranging, I'm sure it will have a totally new look for this fall. 







I'll have a lot more photographs for you to see as the weeks go by. . . And I'll be selling some of our extras online soon. . .Consider this an introduction. . .

Rag Rug Looms for sale at: 

3 comments:

Beth said...

oh my goodness! i love exploring old buildings and antique stores and stuff like this. the only problem is that i want to take it all home!

Bill said...

like stepping back in history. do you sell anything from the store? i like it.

Old Time Cindy said...

Are you serious!?! I'm hyperventilating looking at your photos. Such rustic treasures and just my style!!! Sigh...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...