Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Ever Changing Farmhouse Bath



Over the past seven years, our vintage bathroom has taken on so many styles it's hard to imagine. . .I've shared them all with you and you can revisit those posts with links at the end. . .I have gone from rustic to cottage and back again, but one theme has remained. . .It's been FARMHOUSE all the way.
There's a reason for this. . .and it's simple. . .We live in a 1930s cottage farmhouse. . .and I believe in matching the decor to the era in which the house was built. . .It is not a new home with a farmhouse flair. . .It is not perfect in all ways either. . .The walls have cracks. . .The floors creak. . .The furniture speaks of a time past. . .The decor has evolved with REAL farmhouse items. . .and few reproductions. . .There is certainly plenty to choose from in our barns. . .


So many times I have looked at those older posts in which I proudly displayed our collections  and thought, 'In reality, did they live with this much stuff'?'. . .My answer has always been, 'I think not.'. .For years I've thought it was probably because they had little money. . .which was often true but I think there were other reasons, too. . .


Most of our tenants and managers had large families. . .There was little room to spare. . .They didn't always have separate bedrooms either. . .Space was at a minimum and filled with the necessities. . .They utilized every room in the house daily. . These families were not trying to make a decorating statement. . .They were living the life and hard work of a farm family. . ..The farmhouses themselves were busy 'bee hives' of activity.


With that thought in mind, I have scaled down a lot. . .I have begun to look at each room with the actual use of it in mind. . .For example, the bath. . .filled with the necessities and not much more. . .A chair to sit in while changing clothes. . .A wooden tub filled with towels. . .and maybe for soaking tired feet. . .A bowl and pitcher for quick sponge baths. . .Soap and toiletries at the tub. . .Bags hung on the wall for dirty clothes. . .


There was only one more thing I decided I should add that isn't necessary but sure pleases the eye. . .No matter how basic the farmhouse was decorated. . .I remember flowers from the garden beds. . .or the wild ones from the ditch bank. . .brightening rooms. . .These memories come from my Grandmother who had a green thumb like few others. . .Outside and indoors,  her home had color everywhere from her flowers. . .


I think I love this look more than any other. . .
There's another plus, too. . .Without the clutter, the bath is so easy to clean and quickly dust each day. . .That's a big plus in my book, because living on a working farm brings lots of dust and dirt our way. . .Each morning, a quick lick-and-a-promise is often all the house gets. . .as we head out to other chores. . .
I suppose you could say I'm still learning about living a simple life on our cotton farm. . .thanks to those who came before me. . .

BATHROOM POSTS THROUGH THE YEARS:







1 comment:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

What a beautiful bath! I love the look of everything in it. Dolly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...