Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Splish Splash-Stripping Down the Bath


Since the holidays are over,  have things slowed down around your house?
It's been a slow week here--very unusual. . . . My Honey has been working away from the farm--meaning the living room is on hold for a while. . . .I've busied myself painting a few pieces of furniture but not much else is happening--typical of winter. . . .everything slows down to a crawl. . . .

When I find myself alone like this, I begin to eye things with more scrutiny than normal. . . .Winter is the time I catch up on serious cleaning--rooms, closets,  cabinets--and often serious rearranging. . . .


So, with time on my hands, I decided to challenge myself in a small bathroom make-over. . . .I've wanted to change the style to a plain and simple one. . . .attempts in the past have ended with a tendency to "fancy it up"--an old habit from my cottage years that's so hard to break. . . . That's why it will be a challenge. . . .Overcoming a habit is never easy, is it? 



First order of business--strip down the bath to the bare necessities and give it a thorough cleaning while I'm at it. Talk about plain and simple! Look at it now!

One thing I've learned over the years is that I'm better off starting with a clean slate. . . .gradually adding back as the inspiration comes. . . .



An example of how this one little trick allows me to see a room in a different light--I've used the washtub in the bath for seven years and have never noticed that it has the same shape as the tub! Duh. . . .I knew it looked right--never realizing why. . . .


And, once I took the clutter off the dresser sink, my eyes once again appreciated the decoupaged calendar page and envelope from Granddaddy's 1938 planner. He had made numerous entries into it that are fun to read--but lost among all the added extras. . . .



As I cleaned out the closet, I came across this cute little graniteware potty, stuck way in the back. . . .perfect to hold the fanny ribbon. . . .I'd forgotten all about it. . . .

Then I eyed the wooden clothes dryer that we've used for our extra towels more than seven years--why have I never painted it?

Stripping down the bath has certainly presented lots of possibilities, yet I continue to tell myself "Simplify". . . . . I've never decorated a bath in which less was more. . . .but, I think it will be fun to change things around. . . .

I'll finish my cleaning and painting this week. . . .then start bringing back a FEW items that are more "farmhouse". . . .
Hope to show you our new old bathroom one day soon. . . .
plain and simple style. . . .
 

. . . from my farmhouse to yours. . .


Sharing with: * Tweak It Tuesday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...