Saturday, November 17, 2012

Welcome to My Kitchens



Yes, I said "kitchens". . . .More than one? Yes. Sort of. . . .

Located at the far end of the keeping room is the main kitchen area. . . . .It is always light and bright, even on cloudy days. . . .Makes it hard to photograph, but I wouldn't have it any other way. . . .No curtains covering up the windows either--or any of the windows in the room. I love the sunlight filtering in all day long. . . .


John built all the cabinets several years ago. We wanted a farmhouse look to them--almost as if they were different pieces of furniture put together. . . .I don't know if you can tell it or not, but the sink cabinet juts out a little from the others. . . .Look at the curvy little detail John added on the doors below--that was his idea. . . .I added the little curtain to hide all the supplies underneath.

Believe it or not, I do all my cooking and canning on that little stove on the back wall. . . .And, I DO cook! Mostly from scratch. This is a working kitchen--not just for looks. For that reason, I like to keep the cabinet tops fairly clear of clutter. . . .The skillets above the stove--are out of the way--but handy. . . .It's a collection of my Mom's, two Grandmothers, two aunts, and myself. . . .

I wanted the kitchen to reflect the 1930s farm kitchens--but with modern conveniences. 
Where's the coffee pot, microwave, dishwasher? You can learn that secret by clicking on this link:
My Kitchen's Hidden Secrets

The old coffee bin from a local grocery holds the trash can and extra paper bags and such. I thought about painting it--it's peeling pretty bad--but decided I loved the prim and shabby look. It's another one of those pieces I don't think ever should be painted. . . .


Here's my view from the kitchen sink. . . .Don't you love it? That floor just makes me smile. . . .

The counter tops are pretty special, too. . . .When we started renovations on the old farmhouse, we added ten feet on the back, so the roof had to be extended. When they tore off part of the old roof for the new one, they found the old roof was decked with 1 inch thick cypress! Later, we learned that the wood had been cut from virgin timber and milled right here on the farm--for the entire house! So, John took the boards, planed them down, and used them for our counter tops. . . .It's a beautiful wood. . . .especially when the sun hits it.


This is the view as you walk in from the living room. . . .We bought the bottom half of a Hoosier style cabinet for the work island, then John modified it with electric--that you can't see--and other items necessary to the kitchen. . . .The enameled top has been a blessing from the beginning. It's almost impossible to hurt it. I use it for everything from rolling out dough to setting hot pots on. . . .I never want to have another kitchen without one. . . .

To the left of the island, sits the refrigerator and. . . .





the vintage "baker's cabinet". . . .I have flours, corn meals, and sugars in the "penny" jars--the spices in the upper doors and in the right hand small drawer below. The other drawers hold more ingredients, as well as bowls for mixing and all kinds of gadgets. . . .The crocks below? Clean kitchen towels, canning lids and supplies, empty jars and storage containers. Everything has a purpose in my kitchen. . . .


Ready to see the "other" kitchen? 
We have to go to the opposite end of the room. . . .Let's walk down there. . . .


This. . . .is my second Kitchen. . . .the Open Hearth. . . .

In the winter, John and I both cook using fire more than we use the stove in the kitchen. . . .There's nothing like a meal cooked on the open hearth. We had an interest in it when we worked at Colonial Williamsburg--so much so that we learned a little from the cooks there. Then we went to Pennsylvania one weekend for instruction with the Open Hearth Cook and fell in love with the method. We were hooked. . . .There was no doubt, we had to build a fireplace we could cook in for our farmhouse. . . .


Wish I could have a fire going for you now. . . .They still have a little work to do on the outside. . . .It had to be rebuilt this past year. . . .for now, this is the best I can do. . . .







The fireplace should be ready by Christmas. . . .Besides regularly cooking meals here, every year, John and I dress in 18th or 19th century clothing and cook our Christmas dinner in the open hearth. . . .It's become a tradition. . . .Everyone enjoys it--truly an old-fashioned Christmas. . . .If you don't believe me. . . .


So, that's my two kitchens. . . .You'll be seeing more of them in the coming months, as I cook and bake during the winter. . . .

Want one more look for now?


from my farmhouse to yours. . . .

Baker's Cabinet--1920s--AR
Coffee Bin--ca. 1907--Dell, AR
Corner Prim Cabinet--ca. 1940--AR
Hoosier (bottom half)--1930s--Goodwill
Apartment Size Stove--Late 1940s--Thrifted
Crocks--Grandmother Magers
Cotton Basket (Top of Fridge)--ca. 1920--Our Farm
Barn Door (Hides the Fridge)--Our Farm

32 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

You are so truly blessed and I'm sure you are thankful for that kitchen and your way of life. Tell John I said hi! How nice that both of you have that passion for the simple life and actually take the time to celebrate it together.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Amy Kinser said...

Your kitchens are wonderful!! You take me back in time with your wonderful photos and I love that.

Blessings.

Julie Marie said...

I want to come live in your house!... your kitchen is just wonderful... I always say I should have been born 100 years before I was... I love the way things were back then... the 30's and 40's are my favorite era... love all the family history and memories your kitchen holds as well... thanks for sharing your fabulous kitchens, xoxo Julie Marie

Junkchiccottage said...

Your kitchen is so beautiful and you really brought back that period of time in your decor. I bet all the cooking even taste better when you go back to the basics and simple ways. Love it all.
Kris

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen and I'm sure lots will on in there next week getting ready for Thanksgiving.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anne said...

I am enjoying touring your beautiful kitchen! I can't imagine the joy it must bring you to see this everyday! Every single detail is stunning!
xx
Anne

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Your kitchen really is you! Every bit is wonderful. Your hubby did an amazing job on your cabinets... love the swirly edge under the sink. Looking forward to the Christmas fire 2012 post!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I Love your kitchen! You two are so cute cooking over the open hearth.
What fun Christmas must be at your house.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

OMG!!! I am soooo in love with your kitchen..I could marry it..seriously..LOVE everything and love that big open hearth in which to cook..and dressing up is so neat and a great way to rekindle the past...thank you so much for sharing your 2 kitchens..they are amazing..have a very happy thanksgiving.;)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love them (both kitchens). I love the cabinets that John made with the wood counter tops. I love your cast iron skillets, the floor, the granite ware tub, all of it.

ANNE said...

Beautiful room and lovely decorating. Such a peaceful and happy space xox

cynthia lee designs said...

I love your farmhouse kitchens!! John did an awesome job on the cabinets. Love the wood piece that helps hide the fridge. The open hearth kitchen area is just beautiful...love it!!
I have that same goose. Came house one day from working at the shop I had and it was sitting in the middle of the dining room table...hubby surprised me with it.
~Cindy

Unknown said...

So very beautiful! I love it. I have half-a-hoosier too! I wish I had room for it in my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

You are so genuinely favored and I'm confident you are grateful for that kitchen and your direction of life.Thanks for offering..

Maureen Wyatt said...

Be still my heart - an open hearth! I love vintage stoves, but the hearth beats all. ~ Maureen

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

How beautiful! You and your kitchen are so very inspirational! Thank you for the tour. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Simply Shelley said...

Just wonderful...right down to your lovely outfits :) I love it! Blessings

fiona anderson said...

It's charming - I love how you've hidden away all modern conveniences and think it's delightful the way you use your 'two kitchens'.

Becka said...

Your kitchen's are positively charming.
I have been following your blog for a few weeks now, and have loved every post.
Oh, how I fell in love with your Delta Angels too.
Is there a place where they can be purchased? I would love to know.
Thank you for your lovely inspiration.
I'll be visiting again soon.
Becka
http://girasolefarm.blogspot.com/

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Oh my, I only thought the painted floors made me drool. WOW! LOVE everthing about your kitchen. And the fireplace at the other end. Oh how cozy! And you cook on it? I want to come live with you??? Please....I don't think I live that far anyway? LOVE it all!

The Boston Lady said...

Love, love, love it all! You have thought of everything and it has turned out just wonderfully. Your pictures are a real treat and showcase all your hardwork in its best light. Ann

Barbara Jean said...

wow! that is amazing!
I don't think I have ever seen a kitchen I loved so much!!

thank you for sharing!

blessings
barb

A Bit of Colour said...

Once again, thank you for the rest of the tour of your kitchen. No I would not paint the bin either!! It is beautiful the way that it is. Love , Love, love your kitchen. I have never cooked on fire. I look forward to your post about that in the future. Thank you for sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving! Kim

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Hi Dru,
You and John sure have the most wonderful two kitchens. I think it is just so romantic how you two cook in here like that! You love for the farm house and what comes with the traditions and all your own touches just meld together into a very wonderful down to earth goodness! The history on the wood for your counter-tops is really neat! They sure are perfect for that reason! I love cast iron, and it is my favorite to cook on. I learned to cook on it since I was a child, and people look at me like I am an alien when they realize I cook on it!
Your kitchen is just lovely. Thanks for the pretty pictures and stories.
Blessings,
Susie

Kimberly said...

I have the enamel top from an old table sitting on a bank of drawers while I await the opportunity to finish our kitchen. I LOVE the enamel top, too! I can't hurt it! The half Hoosier idea is great. I stash my computer in my full Hoosier in the kitchen, but we do have more Hoosier parts I may have to commandeer...

Teresa Kasner said...

I found your blog via Cozy Little House and woohoo, I just love your kitchen! I have a Hoosier that I rescued from my grandparents crumbling little tiny farmhouse in Oklahoma. It was painted dastardly mint green and a bile yellow on the inside.. it was oak.. so I had it refinished. I adore that thing! Nice to meet you!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Keeping It Cozy said...

Your kitchen is so beautiful... I LOVE every detail. Now I need to look back through your photos again. :-)

Unknown said...

Wow! I love love love your kitchen. I love everything about it. I loved it so much a became a follower and I can't wait to check out the rest of your blog...:)

Nancy said...

Your kitchen(s)is delightful. I love it! I found you through Cabin & Cottage and am a new follower. Can't believe I've missed your blog all this time. So glad I found it and you. I'd like to invite you to share your kitchen at my month-long blog party Every Room In The House. We're partying in The Kitchen this month and your very special kitchen would inspire everyone who sees it. Here's the link:http://www.ajoyfulcottage.com/2014/01/every-room-in-house-party-1.html I really hope you'll join us. Nancy @ A Joyful Cottage

Nancy said...

Happy February! Just popped in to tell you I've featured your fabulous kitchens in this month's Every Room In The House party. Thanks for partying with us and I hope you'll link up this month in The Living Room. All the best ~ Nancy

nannykim said...

I really enjoyed this; I was intrigued by all those hanging iron pans. I have various ones I use every day. I also have an iron dutch oven in which I cook bread. I love the way you used the wood recycled for the counter top!

From the Old InkWell said...

Just found your blog by way of A Joyful Cottage. Just had to take time to let you know how lovely your kitchen is. I love the old things you have displayed. I'm a new follower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...